Junior colleges

bleednpurple&gold

QUOTE(LCborn @ May 2 2007 - 10:28 PM) 826450527[/snapback]Anyone who plays for Larry Works at Roane State gets a very special kind of education, in baseball and in life--not to mention expectorational accuracy and adult vocabulary.

True story: pitcher gives up a home run in a critical situation on an 0-2 count because he grooved a pitch. Coach Works strides slowly to the mound, looks left, looks right, takes the ball, expectorates, pats the ball into his hand a time or two, signals for a reliever, and says, "So-and-so, you must be the dumbest mother------ in the whole ----ing world." At which point the whole infield--gathered around the mound-- puts their gloves over their faces to hide that they are laughing.

Kidding aside, TN JUCO had one team rated #1 for some time and *another* team in TN JUCO won the national championship? What's that say about the quality of competition?

Columbia state has a very good recruiting class coming in and they should be hot here very soon. Is expectorational a word????

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LCborn @ May 2 2007 - 10:28 PM) 826450527[/snapback]Anyone who plays for Larry Works at Roane State gets a very special kind of education, in baseball and in life--not to mention expectorational accuracy and adult vocabulary.

True story: pitcher gives up a home run in a critical situation on an 0-2 count because he grooved a pitch. Coach Works strides slowly to the mound, looks left, looks right, takes the ball, expectorates, pats the ball into his hand a time or two, signals for a reliever, and says, "So-and-so, you must be the dumbest mother------ in the whole ----ing world." At which point the whole infield--gathered around the mound-- puts their gloves over their faces to hide that they are laughing.

I played at Roane State from 1988-1991 was red shirted in 1990 for shoulder surgery. George Ogilvie was the head coach and he left after my last year. I had the pleasure of having Coach Works in class, he is definately a character I really liked him and he knows baseball but he's no coach. Coach Ogilvie was a good coach, the program and field really suffered when he left. I hope Coach Lane will bring the program back to where it used to be. Most people don't realize it but Works more less took the job to keep the program from folding. If I remember correctly an assistant coach from University of Kentucky was going to take over after Ogilvie but in the spring of 1991 the state had a big budget crunch and they froze all hireing and spending so someone had to take it that was already employed by the school. Heres one of several stories I could tell. Every once and awhile during practice Coach Works would come out and throw BP. He was throwing and someone hit a line drive back up the middle through the L-screen and he barely got a glove on it but it knocked out one of his teeth he just shook it off called the hitter a S.O.B. and then drilled him in the ribs the next pitch and kept on throwing.f9d! What a guy!

QUOTE(walkoff_11 @ May 3 2007 - 07:44 AM) 826450649[/snapback]I was recruited pretty heavily by Dyersburg State coming out of high school. They were really professional and I probably made a mistake of going NAIA. I thought that NAIA was better baseball than JUCO but I believe JUCO may be better in Tennessee. I would have to say that Chattanooga State, Walters State, and Dyersburg State have to be the front runners for the better "JUCO athletes" at this point and time in Tennessee. Just my opinion

What high school you out of? Dyersburg State is 41-11, great year

QUOTE(steal3rdbase @ May 11 2007 - 03:55 PM) 826457447[/snapback]Columbia State made an impressive showing in the tournament. They defeated Chattanooga State but fell to Vol State in the semifinal game.

Yes they did. I would bet you don't see a run like that in too many conference tournaments. Just got hot at the right time.