red cards

rednex41

QUOTE(BellowingBrit13 @ May 11 2007 - 06:20 PM) 826457526[/snapback]It depends if the "hard tackle" was a clean one. I'm sick of as a player going in for the ball, getting it, touching it first, but because the other player trips over my back foot I get called on the foul. It is his own fault. It has gone as far as when I cleared a ball out one of the other players charged with his shoulder and knocked me a step back. Being an ex-keeper I am used to collisions and didn't fall over. Because of my ability to not fall over, they called a foul on me. I asked the ref what the foul was for and he said, "because you didn't fall over." Tell me if that is in the book.

Rule 12-4-1 A player shall be penalized for charging and opponent in a dangerous or reckless manner, or using excessive force. An allowable fair charge is where players make shoulder-to-shoulder contact in an upright position, within playing distance of the ball, have at least one foot on the ground and their arms held close to their body.

As a referee I am sick of players going in twice as fast using 2 or 3 times the force required to win the ball. Then after making the call hearing the player whine and dissent claiming "but I got the ball first". Yes you got the ball first but then you lifted the leg or raised the body to ensure that the opponent "has" to trip over you, or after you "got the ball" you displaced the opponent by 3 to 10 feet by your excessive force.

Play fast, Play physical use the force "necessary" to win the ball without "punishing" the opponent, keep your arms, legs and torso down after the tackle, then even if the opponent ends up in a "face plant" you won't hear my whistle.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(atdenton @ May 11 2007 - 05:07 PM) 826457516[/snapback]well i understand what your are saying about inconsistency. but let me ask you a question? how do you as a referee stop a player from making a malicious tackle. say the kid does it you send off but the other kid is still injured. what if you have a game where the kids and coaches think the game is under control then all of a sudden you have a player just make a hard tackle then the kid has a broken nose. what would be your advice for that?

To begin with if the kids and the coaches feel the game is under control then it probably is and that kid needs to come out for a while. This is a sport and injuries do take place. There are true accidents. I have seen foul calls made where to me it just looked like the momentum of the player was just running and could not stop and ran into a player. On the

other hand I have seen flat out deliberate fouls and nothing called.

We had a kid on our team that had to be helped off the field in three different games. Twice fouls were called and once it wasn't. I also watched a girl charge into a player in Chattanooga this season and broke the player's nose. No card was given. I have also seen a game where the goalie kept getting run over. I thought tackling the goalie was a foul, but the refs in this particular game did not. This game was so badly called that the goalie quit. He said he wasn't going to risk getting injured.

In reply to your question the refs can't stop all malicious fouls, but if a kid is consistantly making intentional fouls, then take him out on a red card. Contrary to belief, not all refs are stupid. They can tell when a game is getting out of hand and they can see the players that are constantly playing dirty. Control of the game needs to be determined at the start of the game, not half way through it. Kids do get hurt. There are accidents and there is intentional harm and refs need to recognize the difference. I saw a game where a player was given a yellow card for "persistent infractions." That wording tells me that the kid is doing the same things over and over and a yellow card was just like a slap on the wrist. When he came back in it was the same stuff all over againg and the ref did nothing.

There also needs to be consistency in the referee organization. As I posted earlier what accountability do refs have? Do we need to start taping games and sending them to TSSAA. We played a game where the linesman on one side called every little thing he saw and the lineman on the other call nothing except out of bound. What type of training to refs have? Do they all go somewhere different? Or is there any type of central classes for refs where they are all learning the same? And are there yearly refresher classes? I do try to make a point to let the refs know if they have called a fair game. Even when we're on the losing end. They are the ones who stick around after the game. The ones who know they called a bad game are off the fields so fast it's as if they are in fast forward.

QUOTE(BigG @ May 9 2007 - 12:53 PM) 826455445[/snapback]I believe that fine is only for coaches getting a red card.

It's kind of hard with the refs sprinting off the field at the end of the game. I understand why they do it though. I find that calling into the ref supervisor and giving a good report can be effective, too.

We are instructed by the rules meeting for high school, TSSAA, that we are to leave the field promptly after the game and not linger. I don't sprint off the field, but I don't hang around waiting for accolades, either /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> . And usually I'm tired enough by the end of the game that it's pretty easy to catch up with me!

G is right, the fine is only for coaches. Players are not fined.

QUOTE(KitKat2 @ May 11 2007 - 10:43 PM) 826457707[/snapback]There also needs to be consistency in the referee organization. As I posted earlier what accountability do refs have? Do we need to start taping games and sending them to TSSAA. We played a game where the linesman on one side called every little thing he saw and the lineman on the other call nothing except out of bound. What type of training to refs have? Do they all go somewhere different? Or is there any type of central classes for refs where they are all learning the same? And are there yearly refresher classes? I do try to make a point to let the refs know if they have called a fair game. Even when we're on the losing end. They are the ones who stick around after the game. The ones who know they called a bad game are off the fields so fast it's as if they are in fast forward.

TSSAA requires that referees pay an annual registration to the State each year and attend the TSSAA rules meeting. Referees are additionally required to belong to a State approved local association. The referees are required to attend at least 3 "local" meetings each year. The meeting are to include at least 30 Min. of instruction at each meeting. In our association we offer 9 meeting each year. We have ~90 members. Of those ~30 attend 8 or 9 of the meetings each year, ~30 attend 3 to 6 meeting and ~30 attend "only" the 3 required meeting. So, all referees use the NFHS rule book but their training is dependent upon the number of meeting they choose to attend and the quality of the local association's instruction. This does result in some variation from different areas of the State, hopefully the differences are minor not radically changing the way the game is contested.

TSSAA instructs "All referees SHALL come together at the conclusion on the game, they SHALL "Immediately" exit the playing area." How fast referees leave the playing area has nothing to do with how good or bad the referee feels they called the game, it is, are they following the instruction of TSSAA.

QUOTE(PinballWizard @ May 11 2007 - 10:46 PM) 826457708[/snapback]Dont be dissing the MLS, its on a rise right now, Red Bulls New York is a greattt team

I was watching an MLS game the other day, and the keeper wasn't even taking his own goal kicks--humiliating. That is horrible. I think it is bad that our keeper can barely take his kicks, I have to come back and take them, being an ex-keeper it is painstaking. Hopefully America will get the picture and start upgrading some of the MLS players.