MBA Football

skip216

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Augielio @ May 23 2007 - 04:45 PM) 826465478[/snapback]I don't know what MBA will do this coming fall, but I do know this: they have added two of the finest coaches anywhere to their staff. James Counce, Sr. will be working with the offensive backfield and his son, James Counce, Jr. will be offensive line coach. The Counces--and certainly Counce, Sr.--should be familiar names to anyone familiar with Tennessee High School football. James took over a stumbling program here at Dyersburg, and built a powerhouse. After going 3-7 each of his first two seasons, he then went all the way to the semi-finals of the Tennessee 4-A championship (lost to that Pearl-Cohn team that had Henderson and Beard). After the first two seasons, he won 87% of his regular season games, had 4 undefeated regular seasons out of ll and went to the playoffs for 9 straight years.

This year, the team went 12-2, losing to Crockett County in the regular season and to David Lipscomb in the 3A state semifinals. For James, it was a terrible year. He suffered a heart attack at mid-season, but never missed a game and has recovered. At the end of the season, he resigned to be with his ailing wife. This spring, Donna, his companion of over 30 years, died. She had suffered a variety of serious illnesses since having Hodgkin's Disease at 22. James and the town of Dyersburg were devastated. Her funeral service was held in the football stadium with a huge crowd in attendance. James was staggered, a man who had taken a harsh body blow.

But he is making a fresh start. He and his son and his grandkids are going to MBA. We at Dyersburg are so sad to see them go, but most of us realize that a new challenge and a new setting is what they need. What he and his family conributed to Dyersburg football and to the town is immeasurable.

I talked with James today. We spoke of the beginning of spring practice at MBA next week. The old fire was back in his eyes. It was great to see, even though he will not be with us here in Dyersburg.

James is the best high school football coach I have known in 40 years. I know he and his son will bring so much to MBA football.

ill agree with you about coach counce. im not sure which one though. ive met and talked to the one that lives next to my aunt and uncle and recently retired and had some type of surgery (not too sure about that?). but he is definitely a class act. i can remember being a good bit younger, attending a first round playoff game between melrose and dyersburg and seeing his team battle back with their third string quarterback against a SUPER talented melrose team, only to come up short 41-48. (it was the year that melrose moved to 4A...i think tim thompson was still coaching at melrose.) anyway, mba scored themselves at least one heckuva coach. kinda hard for me to say, though, since im a Christian Brothers alum.

QUOTE(skip216 @ May 8 2007 - 07:38 PM) 826454767[/snapback]after coming from from a 4-6 season and with a new young coach in McGugin, how will MBA do this year coming up? who are some potential leaders?

as far as mba having a great year, i cant say. for one, im not a big red supporter, but, going on what i saw last year when they made the trek down i-40 to memphis to take on Christian Brothers, they didnt seem to have that one stud game breaker. they had a big, fundamentally sound offensive line, as usual, though they did seem to get outplayed, but lacked (at first glance) the guy that can slip into that small crease and be gone.

dont get me wrong, ive never been on a football field with as many 5'11"-6'2" athletic looking guys in my life. the place is an "athlete factory" in my estimation as far as football players are concerned, but aside from the big names like bailey (i think hes overrated based on his performance against CBHS last season. not hating on him, im sure hes a great kid, but i think his best tool is that hes 6'5"ish/300+...just my opinion though), bartholomew, crum, etc., i dont see anyone stepping up to be the game changer...especially not on offense. as far as running backs, ba has chris jordan, Christian Brothers has eric watson/gilbert johnson, father ryan has that little #30, mccallie still has a good back i believe, baylor has massey whose a good runner, mus has, well, i dont think anyone really knows what mus has this season, and i guess mba has crum? im not sure.

will mba be great? i would doubt it. if i had to put money on it, id bet that mba will continue to play solid football and give themselves a chance to compete in each and every game like they have for a long time. i cant foresee any blow outs. but again, this is all based on what i viewed last season after a 3-hour bus ride.

please correct me if im wrong, or if i didnt catch onto something/someone.

cant wait for august....

QUOTE(Live4FridayNite615 @ Jun 2 2007 - 08:25 AM) 826470433[/snapback]How is the Rader kid doing so far this year.?

It's hard to say since there's hardly been any football this year (just a few days spring practice), but he could be a shifty receiver if MBA can find someone to throw him the ball.

He is a great punt returner; if memory serves, he took his first punt return all the way for a TD in MBA's opener in Kentucky last year.

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 1 2007 - 09:57 PM) 826470280[/snapback]as far as mba having a great year, i cant say. for one, im not a big red supporter, but, going on what i saw last year when they made the trek down i-40 to memphis to take on Christian Brothers, they didnt seem to have that one stud game breaker. they had a big, fundamentally sound offensive line, as usual, though they did seem to get outplayed, but lacked (at first glance) the guy that can slip into that small crease and be gone.

dont get me wrong, ive never been on a football field with as many 5'11"-6'2" athletic looking guys in my life. the place is an "athlete factory" in my estimation as far as football players are concerned, but aside from the big names like bailey (i think hes overrated based on his performance against CBHS last season. not hating on him, im sure hes a great kid, but i think his best tool is that hes 6'5"ish/300+...just my opinion though), bartholomew, crum, etc., i dont see anyone stepping up to be the game changer...especially not on offense. as far as running backs, ba has chris jordan, Christian Brothers has eric watson/gilbert johnson, father ryan has that little #30, mccallie still has a good back i believe, baylor has massey whose a good runner, mus has, well, i dont think anyone really knows what mus has this season, and i guess mba has crum? im not sure.

will mba be great? i would doubt it. if i had to put money on it, id bet that mba will continue to play solid football and give themselves a chance to compete in each and every game like they have for a long time. i cant foresee any blow outs. but again, this is all based on what i viewed last season after a 3-hour bus ride.

please correct me if im wrong, or if i didnt catch onto something/someone.

cant wait for august....

yea that was a terrible game for us, but then again the breakout players were all injured...tompkins,howe,mcneily and wade were all out with season ending injuries. hopefully this year we wont suffer from the injury bug and really show wat we can do.

QUOTE(hatbringer1 @ Jun 2 2007 - 10:48 AM) 826470456[/snapback]yea that was a terrible game for us, but then again the breakout players were all injured...tompkins,howe,mcneily and wade were all out with season ending injuries. hopefully this year we wont suffer from the injury bug and really show wat we can do.

what about yalls defense? are there any "game breakers" (so to speak) on that side of the ball? if any of the afore mentioned play defense, i apologize for not being familiar with the names. but what i do remember, or as it appeared to me, was a lack of overall speed. once watson, who's not the fastest back yall played last year, got by the first level, there wasnt anyone keeping up with him, not to mention that wanted to tackle him, or atttempt to, as he is rather difficult to bring down...especially one on one. im not hating any of mba's players, just stating what i thought i saw as a spectator.

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 2 2007 - 10:46 PM) 826470663[/snapback]what about yalls defense? are there any "game breakers" (so to speak) on that side of the ball? if any of the afore mentioned play defense, i apologize for not being familiar with the names. but what i do remember, or as it appeared to me, was a lack of overall speed. once watson, who's not the fastest back yall played last year, got by the first level, there wasnt anyone keeping up with him, not to mention that wanted to tackle him, or atttempt to, as he is rather difficult to bring down...especially one on one. im not hating any of mba's players, just stating what i thought i saw as a spectator.

yea, i know what you're saying. tompkins and wade both played defense...only wade returns as a strong safety. hopefully our linebackers knight and bartholomew can step it up big time this year and shut down the inside. they both got alot better since last year we all saw that in spring practice. proof of all this will be shown in the scrimmages in august and we have a 7on7 tournament at vandy later in the week, so we'll see

QUOTE(hatbringer1 @ Jun 3 2007 - 05:47 PM) 826470888[/snapback]yea, i know what you're saying. tompkins and wade both played defense...only wade returns as a strong safety. hopefully our linebackers knight and bartholomew can step it up big time this year and shut down the inside. they both got alot better since last year we all saw that in spring practice. proof of all this will be shown in the scrimmages in august and we have a 7on7 tournament at vandy later in the week, so we'll see

Heard the eric watson kid from CBHS got kicked out for grades?? Is it true??

QUOTE(Mach84 @ Jun 3 2007 - 06:15 PM) 826470898[/snapback]Heard the eric watson kid from CBHS got kicked out for grades?? Is it true??

it would depend on who you heard it from and their relation to Christian Brothers High School and its football team. somebody wanting to diminish a young man's character, and slight eric watson, not to mention a little wishful thinking, would say something of that sort. on the other hand, somebody who is well informed and close to the program might tell you he got someone to tutor him and help him study to bring his grades up, thus allowing him to continue on as a sophomore at Christian Brothers High School.

but then again, i tend to believe every rumor im told as well. (sarcasm).

QUOTE(hatbringer1 @ Jun 3 2007 - 05:47 PM) 826470888[/snapback]yea, i know what you're saying. tompkins and wade both played defense...only wade returns as a strong safety. hopefully our linebackers knight and bartholomew can step it up big time this year and shut down the inside. they both got alot better since last year we all saw that in spring practice. proof of all this will be shown in the scrimmages in august and we have a 7on7 tournament at vandy later in the week, so we'll see

i hear ya'. assuming yall still use the 3-4 defense, who are the outside linebackers? and what about the defensive line...are there any returnees from that position? just curious.

QUOTE(brosbaseball9 @ Jun 3 2007 - 09:15 PM) 826470960[/snapback]i hear ya'. assuming yall still use the 3-4 defense, who are the outside linebackers? and what about the defensive line...are there any returnees from that position? just curious.

lost all our starting d-line, but the new starters all got plenty of playin time last yr...so their pretty experienced. olbs same as d-line except for a couple of new faces