MBA Football

skip216

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think MBA will be fine. They got Bailey, Bartholomew, Jay Cole, Waddley, Knight, Crum, Rader, Vinsang...lots of guys coming back. I think last year there was just a number of injuries and they were young for the most part. My question is who's going to be the QB...is it Bennett or Wise or someone else?

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(wingman10 @ May 23 2007 - 06:16 AM) 826465068[/snapback]How did spring practice go?

Spring Practice is next week. Schedule is as follows:

5/25 Friday - 3:00pm

5/26 Saturday - 9:00am, 3:00pm

5/29 Tuesday - 9:00am

5/30 Wednesday - 9:00am

5/31 Thursday - 9:00am

QUOTE(skip216 @ May 8 2007 - 07:38 PM) 826454767[/snapback]after coming from from a 4-6 season and with a new young coach in McGugin, how will MBA do this year coming up? who are some potential leaders?

I don't know what MBA will do this coming fall, but I do know this: they have added two of the finest coaches anywhere to their staff. James Counce, Sr. will be working with the offensive backfield and his son, James Counce, Jr. will be offensive line coach. The Counces--and certainly Counce, Sr.--should be familiar names to anyone familiar with Tennessee High School football. James took over a stumbling program here at Dyersburg, and built a powerhouse. After going 3-7 each of his first two seasons, he then went all the way to the semi-finals of the Tennessee 4-A championship (lost to that Pearl-Cohn team that had Henderson and Beard). After the first two seasons, he won 87% of his regular season games, had 4 undefeated regular seasons out of ll and went to the playoffs for 9 straight years.

This year, the team went 12-2, losing to Crockett County in the regular season and to David Lipscomb in the 3A state semifinals. For James, it was a terrible year. He suffered a heart attack at mid-season, but never missed a game and has recovered. At the end of the season, he resigned to be with his ailing wife. This spring, Donna, his companion of over 30 years, died. She had suffered a variety of serious illnesses since having Hodgkin's Disease at 22. James and the town of Dyersburg were devastated. Her funeral service was held in the football stadium with a huge crowd in attendance. James was staggered, a man who had taken a harsh body blow.

But he is making a fresh start. He and his son and his grandkids are going to MBA. We at Dyersburg are so sad to see them go, but most of us realize that a new challenge and a new setting is what they need. What he and his family conributed to Dyersburg football and to the town is immeasurable.

I talked with James today. We spoke of the beginning of spring practice at MBA next week. The old fire was back in his eyes. It was great to see, even though he will not be with us here in Dyersburg.

James is the best high school football coach I have known in 40 years. I know he and his son will bring so much to MBA football.

Any word on how Spring practice is going? What is the QB situation looking like? With the new coaching staff, what kind of changes will we see on both sides of the ball? I heard that Todd Moran is coaching receivers now. He was previously the OL coach with Jason Mathews, who has since left MBA.

QUOTE(Augielio @ May 23 2007 - 04:45 PM) 826465478[/snapback]I don't know what MBA will do this coming fall, but I do know this: they have added two of the finest coaches anywhere to their staff. James Counce, Sr. will be working with the offensive backfield and his son, James Counce, Jr. will be offensive line coach. The Counces--and certainly Counce, Sr.--should be familiar names to anyone familiar with Tennessee High School football. James took over a stumbling program here at Dyersburg, and built a powerhouse. After going 3-7 each of his first two seasons, he then went all the way to the semi-finals of the Tennessee 4-A championship (lost to that Pearl-Cohn team that had Henderson and Beard). After the first two seasons, he won 87% of his regular season games, had 4 undefeated regular seasons out of ll and went to the playoffs for 9 straight years.

This year, the team went 12-2, losing to Crockett County in the regular season and to David Lipscomb in the 3A state semifinals. For James, it was a terrible year. He suffered a heart attack at mid-season, but never missed a game and has recovered. At the end of the season, he resigned to be with his ailing wife. This spring, Donna, his companion of over 30 years, died. She had suffered a variety of serious illnesses since having Hodgkin's Disease at 22. James and the town of Dyersburg were devastated. Her funeral service was held in the football stadium with a huge crowd in attendance. James was staggered, a man who had taken a harsh body blow.

But he is making a fresh start. He and his son and his grandkids are going to MBA. We at Dyersburg are so sad to see them go, but most of us realize that a new challenge and a new setting is what they need. What he and his family conributed to Dyersburg football and to the town is immeasurable.

I talked with James today. We spoke of the beginning of spring practice at MBA next week. The old fire was back in his eyes. It was great to see, even though he will not be with us here in Dyersburg.

James is the best high school football coach I have known in 40 years. I know he and his son will bring so much to MBA football.

Amen to everything you said!!! Coach Counce is one of the finest men I know in High School Football. Here's wishing him the best at MBA!