Bearden/Farragut predictions

dins8

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kingoftheblurbs @ May 10 2007 - 06:15 PM) 826456737[/snapback]I did see them play McMinn County once in a losing effort, where Bearden had 6 forwards.

I've seen this formation from Bearden as well. No lie, four flat defenders in the back, 40-50 yards of space, and then 6 forwards across the front line.

QUOTE(PinballWizard @ May 10 2007 - 10:27 AM) 826456331[/snapback]I completely agree, both teams will have hundreds of fans making the same amount of noise. Should be a great game tomorrow night. I think this might be an overtime game..maybe even Penalty Kicks. This game is too close to call for me

I agree with Pinball....for the first time!!

I think it will be too close to call.

I am almost leaning toward Farragut as Bearden has gotten a little sloppy lately.

It looks like it might rain!!!!

We will see!!

QUOTE(kingoftheblurbs @ May 11 2007 - 09:06 PM) 826457667[/snapback]Dins8-you called it! 1 out of 4 aint to bad! You missed on calling Bearden to lose to McMinn,Maryville, South Doyle, but you got one this time!

kingofblurbs--

Did I call Bearden to lose to McMinn? I don't remember that at all. Did I call them to lose to Maryville? I think I might have said maybe. Am I wrong on my predictions? More times than not, I am ridiculously off, often times embarrassingly off. I never claimed to be a soccer mesiah. I seem to catch just a touch of a facetious tone in your post, and it must mean that I angered you with predicting Bearden to lose. If this was the case, I really am sorry. Surely everyone knows by now that I am a huge admirer of Turner and the Bearden program in general.

As for the game...

It was absolutely outstanding. Both teams played the way they should play--physically and passionately. Kids were scrapping all over the field, and in any ordinary game, there might have been some sort of a brawl. But I think these two teams, despite the fact that they would probably never admit it, have a tremendous amount of respect for each other.

Both teams had their share of chances, and both keepers were tenacious and solid. Farragut probably had the better chances, especially in the first half. In the end, Farragut's speed of play and overall execution was just too much for Bearden.

Player of the Game: Ben Backstrom! This was the most impressed I have been with him all year. I think I have probably underestimated his intelligence as a player; he truly is a great HS athlete. He constantly made Bearden fret over him, and he created the most opportunities for Farragut. He owned the first half, and he was especially brilliant on the second goal. Ben toyed with the sideline to where he ran completely out of bounds, only to have two Bearden players commit the worst sin in soccer--they both screamed at the ref that the ball was out. Whether it was out or not, was not the point. The point was...Ben did not stop for a second, and in that split second that the Bearden defenders complained to the ref, Ben pulled two yards away and then put a simple and savvy ball into the six for an eager forward. Very mature effort by Ben and disappointing to watch Bearden react this way.

Morevoer, Ben kept defenders guessing all game. After he was able to beat Bearden defenders 1 vs. 1 in the first half, Bearden defenders seemed to flock to him like he was a magnet in the second. Ben was smart enough to dump the ball to an oncoming flank, which once again created great opportunities for Farragut. Ben is very good at playing the way he's facing and knowing when to be creative and when to pick his head up and play simple one touch soccer. Once he started dumping the ball, Bearden's defense spread out, allowing Ben to once again go 1 vs. 1 and score for the final goal. Great players let the game develop and respect its volition. Well done Ben!

Question of the Game: Why did Farragut's central defender come out midway through the second half? More knee problems? Furthermore, why do so many of Farragut's better players spend so much time on the bench? Am I missing something? Doesn't #8 deserve to be on the field more?

Funniest part of the game: The two keepers blasting the ball back and forth to each other.

Enigma: Caesar Ruiz (sp.)--Caesar is a great leader, but why does he always seem to be going half speed? I don't think that I have ever seen him in a full out sprint. I think that his physical presence could definitely help Bearden's attack if he would support and work harder. Is Caesar hurt?

Kingoftheblurbs--Absolutely NO dog in this fight whatsover. This is just what I saw. Tonight, Farragut was the better team. No question about it.

Bearden, use tonight as motivation to have the last laugh! Dare I say...Bearden/Farragut part III next week?

QUOTE(dins8 @ May 12 2007 - 12:24 AM) 826457739[/snapback]kingofblurbs--

Did I call Bearden to lose to McMinn? I don't remember that at all. Did I call them to lose to Maryville? I think I might have said maybe. Am I wrong on my predictions? More times than not, I am ridiculously off, often times embarrassingly off. I never claimed to be a soccer mesiah. I seem to catch just a touch of a facetious tone in your post, and it must mean that I angered you with predicting Bearden to lose. If this was the case, I really am sorry. Surely everyone knows by now that I am a huge admirer of Turner and the Bearden program in general.

As for the game...

It was absolutely outstanding. Both teams played the way they should play--physically and passionately. Kids were scrapping all over the field, and in any ordinary game, there might have been some sort of a brawl. But I think these two teams, despite the fact that they would probably never admit it, have a tremendous amount of respect for each other.

Both teams had their share of chances, and both keepers were tenacious and solid. Farragut probably had the better chances, especially in the first half. In the end, Farragut's speed of play and overall execution was just too much for Bearden.

Player of the Game: Ben Backstrom! This was the most impressed I have been with him all year. I think I have probably underestimated his intelligence as a player; he truly is a great HS athlete. He constantly made Bearden fret over him, and he created the most opportunities for Farragut. He owned the first half, and he was especially brilliant on the second goal. Ben toyed with the sideline to where he ran completely out of bounds, only to have two Bearden players commit the worst sin in soccer--they both screamed at the ref that the ball was out. Whether it was out or not, was not the point. The point was...Ben did not stop for a second, and in that split second that the Bearden defenders complained to the ref, Ben pulled two yards away and then put a simple and savvy ball into the six for an eager forward. Very mature effort by Ben and disappointing to watch Bearden react this way.

Morevoer, Ben kept defenders guessing all game. After he was able to beat Bearden defenders 1 vs. 1 in the first half, Bearden defenders seemed to flock to him like he was a magnet in the second. Ben was smart enough to dump the ball to an oncoming flank, which once again created great opportunities for Farragut. Ben is very good at playing the way he's facing and knowing when to be creative and when to pick his head up and play simple one touch soccer. Once he started dumping the ball, Bearden's defense spread out, allowing Ben to once again go 1 vs. 1 and score for the final goal. Great players let the game develop and respect its volition. Well done Ben!

Question of the Game: Why did Farragut's central defender come out midway through the second half? More knee problems? Furthermore, why do so many of Farragut's better players spend so much time on the bench? Am I missing something? Doesn't #8 deserve to be on the field more?

Funniest part of the game: The two keepers blasting the ball back and forth to each other.

Enigma: Caesar Ruiz (sp.)--Caesar is a great leader, but why does he always seem to be going half speed? I don't think that I have ever seen him in a full out sprint. I think that his physical presence could definitely help Bearden's attack if he would support and work harder. Is Caesar hurt?

Kingoftheblurbs--Absolutely NO dog in this fight whatsover. This is just what I saw. Tonight, Farragut was the better team. No question about it.

Bearden, use tonight as motivation to have the last laugh! Dare I say...Bearden/Farragut part III next week?

Personally I think Jake Holt #8 had a great game with just a few mistakes everyone makes. Didnt play too much i agreee..

And Farraguts central defender Nic came out with a stinger to his leg. A late hit by Schoenfeld early in the game just kept nagging him all game.

*funniest part of the night- Bearden playing band instruments in the school during the storm break, haha