Cookeville vs. Blackman

underrated27

QUOTE(BlackmanSoccerDad @ May 11 2007 - 07:50 AM) 826457118[/snapback]If this happened, I can tell you on behalf of Blackman Parents and Players that is not we are about, and I appologize on behalf of all of us. The past two years have not been the best of sportsmanship by our players, but those players have gone and not only have the players for Blackman this year worked very hard in the off season, during the season, they have strived themselves to show a lot of respect on the pitch this year and I believe they have accomplished this. Again, if he said anything of that nature, we appologize. I am sure this post will get back to Coach Vice and he will address the player.

Our team( Glencliff) is composed entirely of "ethnic" players. We have players from 9 different countries I believe. I'll just say this there a very few games when we aren't " asked " to go back home in not so nice terms. Coach stresses to us to keep our cool because all those guys are trying to do is get us mad. Maybe someday we can all just play soccer together and not worry about where we all came from.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BlackmanSoccerDad @ May 11 2007 - 07:50 AM) 826457118[/snapback]If this happened, I can tell you on behalf of Blackman Parents and Players that is not we are about, and I appologize on behalf of all of us. The past two years have not been the best of sportsmanship by our players, but those players have gone and not only have the players for Blackman this year worked very hard in the off season, during the season, they have strived themselves to show a lot of respect on the pitch this year and I believe they have accomplished this. Again, if he said anything of that nature, we appologize. I am sure this post will get back to Coach Vice and he will address the player.

The incident was addressed after the game in the post-game chat between the coaches. Those representing the Cookeville program know that, for the most part, the Blackman program is comprised of classy folks, including yourself and your son (who, by the way, had a nice finish last night). The incident at hand just bothered us enough to where we felt that it should be public knowledge.

Still, that the captains of each team huddled up for a moment at halftime to try to calm everything down was really impressive. That seems to be rare at any level of soccer.

QUOTE(barcelona @ May 11 2007 - 11:30 AM) 826457288[/snapback]The incident was addressed after the game in the post-game chat between the coaches. Those representing the Cookeville program know that, for the most part, the Blackman program is comprised of classy folks, including yourself and your son (who, by the way, had a nice finish last night). The incident at hand just bothered us enough to where we felt that it should be public knowledge.

Still, that the captains of each team huddled up for a moment at halftime to try to calm everything down was really impressive. That seems to be rare at any level of soccer.

That's good to know and thank for the nice compliment about my son. BTW, who are you and where do you play?

QUOTE(barcelona @ May 11 2007 - 11:30 AM) 826457288[/snapback]The incident was addressed after the game in the post-game chat between the coaches. Those representing the Cookeville program know that, for the most part, the Blackman program is comprised of classy folks, including yourself and your son (who, by the way, had a nice finish last night). The incident at hand just bothered us enough to where we felt that it should be public knowledge.

Not sure why you felt it should be public knowledge when you say it was addressed at the time. And I can assure you it is being addressed at Blackman. Why would you put this kind of post out? Shoud we reply and tell you what the Cookeville player said that prompted the response? It would not matter. There is no justification for either. Nor is there any reason that this "should be public knowledge."

QUOTE(barcelona @ May 11 2007 - 12:12 AM) 826457038[/snapback]Normally I would let bygones be bygones, but in this game there was a rather egregious display of poor sportsmanship/lack of class on the part of Blackman's #11, whose name, if i'm not mistaken, is Justin Cronin. Shortly before halftime, Cronin let fly with some ethnic slurs directed at Cookeville's #34, a Bosnian refugee; minus a few choice words, "Go back to Bosnia." Sure, trash talking exists in the sport. But what took place is uncalled for--even FIFA had players recite anti-racism manifestoes prior to World Cup matches last summer. Some sort of action to discourage this sort of behavior in the future would be nice; had the perpetrator been a Cookeville player, well, he would have been booted from the team.

What was classy was the meeting of the two teams' captains at the half to resolve the manner through calm discussion and good sportsmanship.

Blackman played well, and they won the game by winning 50/50 balls. Hopefully the two squads will face off again in the Region final.

that's funny because one of the Blackman player told one of our players (lebanon) to go back to Mexico.....poor sportsmanship.

QUOTE(Memphis grizzlies fan #1 @ May 15 2007 - 12:38 PM) 826459518[/snapback]I think TSSAA needs to take a stand on racism. That is one of the worst displays of sportsmanship around. I say ban the player for the rest of the year, and maybe next year (unless he is a senior).

Even if a senior, better yet lets take him to court yeah thats the ticket, and make him wear a pink jersey oh oh oh and flowers in his hair...wait, lets just stone him. Problem solved.

If I read correctly, apology made and accepted. Get over it. Lets see.. how did that anti racism recitation work. Oh yeah, some knucklehead made some disparaging remark about Zidane's mom and sister after properly reciting the pledge. Then Zidane gets the card.

While TSSAA trys to mandate everything, they can't mandate or regulate class. Thats something that comes from within. Kinda like reading the pinned info on not bashing a player by name.

And yes if he did say it, he is a knucklehead as well.