Houston?

albion

Collierville beat Houston for the Region 8 Championship last night. The weird thing about the game was that Houston pulled out most of their starters 10 minutes into the game. Also, the assistant coach left after Collierville scored their first goal. Why did it seem that Houston didn't want to win the game? The talk was that Houston wanted a better place in the state tournament. Some people stated that they didn't want to play Bearden or Farragut. Does Houston think they will have an easier game with Hendersonville or Blackman? I thought games were played because teams wanted a chance to play and beat good competition. By the way, anybody that makes it to the state is going to be tough competition. What a strange game yesterday!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(albion @ May 17 2007 - 12:02 PM) 826461087[/snapback]Collierville beat Houston for the Region 8 Championship last night. The weird thing about the game was that Houston pulled out most of their starters 10 minutes into the game. Also, the assistant coach left after Collierville scored their first goal. Why did it seem that Houston didn't want to win the game? The talk was that Houston wanted a better place in the state tournament. Some people stated that they didn't want to play Bearden or Farragut. Does Houston think they will have an easier game with Hendersonville or Blackman? I thought games were played because teams wanted a chance to play and beat good competition. By the way, anybody that makes it to the state is going to be tough competition. What a strange game yesterday!

That is interesting. Would like to hear more on this situation.

This is Coach Irby from Houston. Let me address this.

Based on the current format, the Region and District finals are not "win or go home" games. After the Region finals, there are 4 "MUST WIN" games in order to win the state championship. Houston has been hit with some injuries in the last few weeks and could not afford any more. You want to win, but not at the possible expense of the next game. The last thing we needed was to lose another starter to injury this close to the end. This format gave us the opportunity to play the regulars some minutes before getting them off the field to save them for the Sectional game. The Houston players all played hard. I wanted to win. My players wanted to win. You, albion, are from Collierville. Why is it any of your business who I put on the field? A better question is this: When our backup keeper hurt himself at the beginning of the 2nd half, why did your players think it was so funny, and why didn't the Collierville coaches do anything to stop the laughing? I stood there and looked at the coaches do nothing about this. (and I know that you saw me looking over there)

As for the state tournament draw... Why stir something up that isn't there? Why in the world would I want to put us in the draw with potentially playing Blackman in front of their fans at 7:00 in the first round. From this point on, each team has to win 4 games to win a championship. The last thing I was worried about is what draw we get at state. First, we have to travel for our sectional game. I would much rather play that game at home. Again, you are just trying to get something started on here. I just want us as close to 100% physically as possible to make that 4 game run.

As for the assistant coach leaving, why should that matter to Collierville where our coaches are? He didn't leave after the first goal. The plan was for him to leave in time to scout a 6:30 game.

You had the opportunity to talk to me after the game if you were so upset. After the game, I spoke to Head Coach Ken Mears about the game and he understood completely what we did. No need to start something on here.

QUOTE(mirby @ May 17 2007 - 12:55 PM) 826461119[/snapback]This is Coach Irby from Houston. Let me address this.

Based on the current format, the Region and District finals are not "win or go home" games. After the Region finals, there are 4 "MUST WIN" games in order to win the state championship. Houston has been hit with some injuries in the last few weeks and could not afford any more. You want to win, but not at the possible expense of the next game. The last thing we needed was to lose another starter to injury this close to the end. This format gave us the opportunity to play the regulars some minutes before getting them off the field to save them for the Sectional game. The Houston players all played hard. I wanted to win. My players wanted to win. You, albion, are from Collierville. Why is it any of your business who I put on the field? A better question is this: When our backup keeper hurt himself at the beginning of the 2nd half, why did your players think it was so funny, and why didn't the Collierville coaches do anything to stop the laughing? I stood there and looked at the coaches do nothing about this. (and I know that you saw me looking over there)

As for the state tournament draw... Why stir something up that isn't there? Why in the world would I want to put us in the draw with potentially playing Blackman in front of their fans at 7:00 in the first round. From this point on, each team has to win 4 games to win a championship. The last thing I was worried about is what draw we get at state. First, we have to travel for our sectional game. I would much rather play that game at home. Again, you are just trying to get something started on here. I just want us as close to 100% physically as possible to make that 4 game run.

As for the assistant coach leaving, why should that matter to Collierville where our coaches are? He didn't leave after the first goal. The plan was for him to leave in time to scout a 6:30 game.

You had the opportunity to talk to me after the game if you were so upset. After the game, I spoke to Head Coach Ken Mears about the game and he understood completely what we did. No need to start something on here.

That makes good sense. Didn't think anyone would try and lose a game on purpose. Everyone plays to win. Good luck the rest of the way to Houston.

QUOTE(mirby @ May 17 2007 - 11:55 AM) 826461119[/snapback]This is Coach Irby from Houston. Let me address this.

All I can say is: If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it must be a duck. We have seen this kind of calculation before. But, good luck to all. What goes around, comes around.

QUOTE(mirby @ May 17 2007 - 11:55 AM) 826461119[/snapback]This is Coach Irby from Houston. Let me address this.

Why is this coach trying so hard to change the subject line by discussing goalie injuries and finger pointing in response to a serious question? My momma always said when you point the finger at someone dontcha know that 3 are pointing back at you. Question: Did you rest these same starters 10 minutes into your Sectional game? If you want to change the subject, seriously, change the subject line. We truly need more class all over the pitch starting at the TOP.

Let's see. I do have a serious question for you, coach. Who would you rather play in the next round if you had your druthers or anything to say about it? Blackman or Farragut? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

QUOTE(manfromtn @ May 19 2007 - 09:05 PM) 826463073[/snapback]Why is this coach trying so hard to change the subject line by discussing goalie injuries and finger pointing in response to a serious question? My momma always said when you point the finger at someone dontcha know that 3 are pointing back at you. Question: Did you rest these same starters 10 minutes into your Sectional game? If you want to change the subject, seriously, change the subject line. We truly need more class all over the pitch starting at the TOP.

Let's see. I do have a serious question for you, coach. Who would you rather play in the next round if you had your druthers or anything to say about it? Blackman or Farragut? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Ooooooops!!! Blackman or Bearden??? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

By playing Blackman in the first round Houston would catch the Farragut/Hendersonville winner in the semis should they defeat Blackman. Tough draw. However, Bearden and the Brentwood/Cookeville winner would not be easy, either. After all, this is the state tourney.

Having said that, if Houston lost intentionally (and I have no reason to doubt what Coach Irby posted) then I hope they are one and done. But, again, I doubt that is the case.

QUOTE(coacht @ May 19 2007 - 09:37 PM) 826463086[/snapback]By playing Blackman in the first round Houston would catch the Farragut/Hendersonville winner in the semis should they defeat Blackman. Tough draw. However, Bearden and the Brentwood/Cookeville winner would not be easy, either. After all, this is the state tourney.

Having said that, if Houston lost intentionally (and I have no reason to doubt what Coach Irby posted) then I hope they are one and done. But, again, I doubt that is the case.

after the 1st goal was scored they basicially pulled half there starters but thats what i was told

the region title doesn't mean jack anymore

i think blackman's tactic's will bother houston abit

QUOTE(mjuhb @ May 19 2007 - 10:27 PM) 826463140[/snapback]after the 1st goal was scored they basicially pulled half there starters but thats what i was told

the region title doesn't mean jack anymore

i think blackman's tactic's will bother houston abit

The teams from region 3 and 4 are typically the weaker teams in the playoffs. I don't see Cookeville or Blackman advancing but anything could happen. At this point it's hard to pick who will take it all.

QUOTE(UPSGregg @ May 19 2007 - 11:44 PM) 826463201[/snapback]The teams from region 3 and 4 are typically the weaker teams in the playoffs. I don't see Cookeville or Blackman advancing but anything could happen. At this point it's hard to pick who will take it all.

Typically the weaker teams? I guess I am not up with the soccer gods who make that call. All region champs have worked hard and then played a section game to be in the tournament. I hope Blackman is underestimated. We may surprise a few folks.

QUOTE(CoachKimbo @ May 20 2007 - 12:03 AM) 826463210[/snapback]Typically the weaker teams? I guess I am not up with the soccer gods who make that call. All region champs have worked hard and then played a section game to be in the tournament. I hope Blackman is underestimated. We may surprise a few folks.

I'm not saying you guys have been written off yet. I just don't remember any teams from that Section winnig state. I only remember one even making it to the final and that was Ooltewah (probably didn't spell that right) and that was back in the early 90s. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I don't think anyone is taking Blackman lightly. History may be against teams from that section but it's ultimately up to you guys. I think most people are expecting Brentwood, Farragut, or Bearden to win this thing and Maybe Hendersonville or Houston.