My thoughts CAK/Catholic game 3

dins8

QUOTE(ah20 @ May 17 2007 - 10:09 PM) 826461702[/snapback]Penguin, lampost, i'm impressed with you two. You guys are awesome guys and i've enjoyed seeing you two grow over the years. I'm proud of you for keeping your posts classy and defending your teammates. Dins8, I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for your opinions and points about the game. Both CAK and Catholic are great teams, but very, very far from perfect and still have a ton of stuff they can improve on. It's awesome to have an "outsider" (someone not on our team) who can give insight into and critique our play so we can see aspects of our own game that we are lacking in and need to work on. And I love how you keep your posts unbiased and classy. I'd still like to know who you are though.... maybe you can reveal it after the season ends?

Dins, I would agree with what AH20 has to say... it is called constructive criticism. You will never get any better if you can't learn what you need to work on. I also appreciate your points (though we might disagree with some, I like to know the perception of others, especially those who know the game)

This game was a tough one. Their goal just seemed to take a whole lot of wind out of our sails. We have been plagued with injuries all year, and haven't played with the same line up for almost every game. It is hard to get into a rythm like that. I thought we played a pretty good first half, though. I really liked our possession, which seemed to break down in the second half.

Dins, what you don't see about Brandon is his desire to be in these games. He loves them. He wasn't supposed to play at all tonight, but asked if he could have just a few minutes. I probably shouldn't have even let him in, but he so desperately wanted to help out his team. I know you see the surface of this young man, but I get to see the awesome kid he is on and off the sidelines, and the man he is becoming. Yeah, he walks to the beat of a different drummer sometimes, and he has his eccentricities, but as a coach I have learned to chose my battles.

I am also quite proud of the class that my boys have shown here responding to your posts. These are teenage boys who just lost (again) to a arch rival, who were being critiqued (honestly) but harshly. Most young men that I know would have blasted both barrels right at you. But none of the three did. They respectfully disagreed, but stood up for their team mates and school. Very well done, boys. Extra cherries on your sundays tomorrow. (No, Zack, there aren't any real sundays)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigG @ May 17 2007 - 11:05 PM) 826461727[/snapback]Dins, I would agree with what AH20 has to say... it is called constructive criticism. You will never get any better if you can't learn what you need to work on. I also appreciate your points (though we might disagree with some, I like to know the perception of others, especially those who know the game)

This game was a tough one. Their goal just seemed to take a whole lot of wind out of our sails. We have been plagued with injuries all year, and haven't played with the same line up for almost every game. It is hard to get into a rythm like that. I thought we played a pretty good first half, though. I really liked our possession, which seemed to break down in the second half.

Dins, what you don't see about Brandon is his desire to be in these games. He loves them. He wasn't supposed to play at all tonight, but asked if he could have just a few minutes. I probably shouldn't have even let him in, but he so desperately wanted to help out his team. I know you see the surface of this young man, but I get to see the awesome kid he is on and off the sidelines, and the man he is becoming. Yeah, he walks to the beat of a different drummer sometimes, and he has his eccentricities, but as a coach I have learned to chose my battles.

I am also quite proud of the class that my boys have shown here responding to your posts. These are teenage boys who just lost (again) to a arch rival, who were being critiqued (honestly) but harshly. Most young men that I know would have blasted both barrels right at you. But none of the three did. They respectfully disagreed, but stood up for their team mates and school. Very well done, boys. Extra cherries on your sundays tomorrow. (No, Zack, there aren't any real sundays)

G-

Glad you see my post as honest, and it truly was never meant to be overly "harsh." I try to always make the positive outweigh the negative, and I think I didn't live up to my rule with my post from last night. Again, a lot of my dribble was just fueled by frustration with the TN playoff system and the fact that I did not get to see Tarr play (much).

Moreover, I, too, agree with you on your players. I cannot say enough about their class by disagreeing in a mature and humble way. It shows their true character, and I am sure that character starts from the top...parents, coaches, etc. There are so many players that lose their head with criticism, especially when reading a post that was ostensibly demeaning. Integrity counts for more points than winning!

CAK and Catholic...Good luck in the next round!

Big G-Nice Thoreau quote!

Complaints on the playoff system in Tennessee are completely wrong. It is obvious that all distircts in tennessee are not equal. Because of this a few districts have a disproportionate number of great teams. Why should good teams be penalized for being in a tough district while other teams get an easier ride to state?? If the two best teams in the state are in the same district they should both have a chance to make it to the state finals.

QUOTE(Nashville Panther @ May 18 2007 - 07:18 AM) 826461808[/snapback]Complaints on the playoff system in Tennessee are completely wrong. It is obvious that all distircts in tennessee are not equal. Because of this a few districts have a disproportionate number of great teams. Why should good teams be penalized for being in a tough district while other teams get an easier ride to state?? If the two best teams in the state are in the same district they should both have a chance to make it to the state finals.

well what if both teams in the same district should be private not public

QUOTE(easttnref @ May 18 2007 - 08:35 AM) 826461816[/snapback]well what if both teams in the same district should be private not public

I don't understand. If a district has two awesome teams then the current playoff system allows for both to advance to the state. It wouldn't matter if one is public and the other private.

QUOTE(easttnref @ May 18 2007 - 07:35 AM) 826461816[/snapback]well what if both teams in the same district should be private not public

easttnref... Please drop it. You made your point in another thread. IT'S OVER!

As for the games coming up... Does Catholic and CAK really go on to play Pigeon Forge and Elizabethton? I'm not trying to knock anybody here, but can you really compare these teams? I'm with Dins on this one and I do believe that the playoff system should be tweaked a bit.

The question is - Does CAK and Knox. Catholic both deserve to go to the state? I say yes. If you agree then the system is excellent.

We can go back to the loser of the Region get eliminated but then one excellent team like CAK or Knox. Catholic won't go to state. Piegon Forge or Elizabethtown would be at state. Likewise CPA would not be at the state tournament, Giles County would.

If you think that that is a fairer/ better method then by all means lets tweak the system.

I think the system is fine.

QUOTE(BigG @ May 17 2007 - 11:05 PM) 826461727[/snapback]Dins, I would agree with what AH20 has to say... it is called constructive criticism. You will never get any better if you can't learn what you need to work on. I also appreciate your points (though we might disagree with some, I like to know the perception of others, especially those who know the game)

Coach G-

You should indeed be proud of your boys. They show the same bravery in their posts as they do on the field.

As for Mr. Tarr, to me he's like lightning in a bottle. When he gets out, it's stunning. I hope to get to see him play sometime in the State Tourney.

QUOTE(Nashville Panther @ May 18 2007 - 08:15 AM) 826461839[/snapback]The question is - Does CAK and Knox. Catholic both deserve to go to the state? I say yes. If you agree then the system is excellent.

We can go back to the loser of the Region get eliminated but then one excellent team like CAK or Knox. Catholic won't go to state. Piegon Forge or Elizabethtown would be at state. Likewise CPA would not be at the state tournament, Giles County would.

If you think that that is a fairer/ better method then by all means lets tweak the system.

I think the system is fine.

I completely disagree with you Nashville. I agree with dins...once the playoffs start, winner moves on...loser packs the bags. Think of how the NCAA basketball tournament is. Duke and UNC always go to the tournament, but they go to different regions. They were the two best teams in the ACC, so they both get bids. Same goes for Catholic/CAK. They were both solid in the regular season, so they both should get a high seed, and then the playoffs begin. This business where teams keep playing each other over and over again is ridiculous. And it is even more ridiculous that teams can afford to lose in the playoffs. Most states DO NOT do this. Look at how North Carolina soccer sets up their playoff system. Top bids in the district go to the tourney, and then if you lose, you're out...no resting players, no meeting up with the same team one game later. It is very simple and makes for a more intense playoff atmosphere. Teams play desperately and with more passion. You cannot afford to rest and/or save players if there is a chance you are going home.

With the exception of football, TN HS sports gives teams too many chances to be "off their game" in the playoffs.

Oh yeah...I finally talked with dins last night at the game. He is in fact a nice guy, and quite hilarious I might add.

Now that i know who he is, it is quite humorous looking back on who some of the people think he is. People are way off!

I'm not really for or against the system too much. But using these two teams as an example. I truely have no clue how this thing works exactly, but i'm guessing the next possible chance for CAK and Catholic is state finals???

Say they meet. The game is played, and it does in overtime. Something goes wrong with catholic's Defense, and CAk scores. The game ends 1-0.

I feel it would be wrong for CAK to be the champions in this case, when Catholic has been them multiple other times.

Of course, i could be wrong and it work nothing like this.

And sounded like a great game. Wish i could come up and watch CAK or some of the big name teams in Knox play someday. Best of luck to both teams in the road to the Spring Fling.

QUOTE(Cheamilion @ May 18 2007 - 10:24 AM) 826461913[/snapback]I'm not really for or against the system too much. But using these two teams as an example. I truely have no clue how this thing works exactly, but i'm guessing the next possible chance for CAK and Catholic is state finals???

Say they meet. The game is played, and it does in overtime. Something goes wrong with catholic's Defense, and CAk scores. The game ends 1-0.

I feel it would be wrong for CAK to be the champions in this case, when Catholic has been them multiple other times.

Of course, i could be wrong and it work nothing like this.

And sounded like a great game. Wish i could come up and watch CAK or some of the big name teams in Knox play someday. Best of luck to both teams in the road to the Spring Fling.

I think it was 4 or 5 years ago when Bearden beat Farragut in the region finals (which in the previous year would have made Farragut stay home) and then Farragut won the state final against Bearden, and there was a fairly large amount of complaints that Farragut shouldn't have even been there. Both teams were good enough to get to the finals, beating 6 other great teams... I think they both should have been there, just like I think that Catholic deserved to be in the state finals last year playing against us, despite us winning the region finals.

The thing that matters is winning the games that you have to win. We have to win sectionals before we even think about playing the first round of state. Then you take it game by game, and push for the best.