Proof that we need to implement the Limbaugh Plan?

davidlimbaugh

11-0

14-3

11-1

12-3

10-0

11-1

19-1

15-1

11-10

14-11

18-5

11-0

13-1

15-5

10-2

18-10

16 out of the 40 games played so far in the 2007 Spring Fling have had one or both teams score in double figures.

The current 'playoff system' benefits teams with one great pitcher, not teams with a deep

pitching staff.

The toughest part of the current 'playoff system' is getting out of the district. If you can

clear that hurdle, then your #1 just has to win on Monday and Friday and you are in the

state tournament. Of courser, ypur #1 probably threw two games in the district tournament,

probably throwing that second game on 2 or 3 days rest, and may have even thrown some

more in relieft, and then throws on Monday and then on Friday on 3 days rest (check out

the post-season #s of Major League pitchers on 3 days rest) and then come back on

Tuesday in the state tournament on 3 days rest and then throws on Friday on 2 days rest.

Oh, that record for grown men on 3 days rest in the post season? Totals: 1-9, 8.81 ERA with 94 hits in 64.1 IP - Ouch!

The Limbaugh Plan?

'Adjoining' districts 1 and 2s play each other at alternating 1's locations on odd and even years. Lets take this year's 7AAA and 8AAA for an example.

This is an odd year, and Oakland won 7-AAA so they would be the host site.

On a Saturday, 7AAAA #2 (Cookeville) would play 8AAA #1 (Coffee Co) and then 8AAA #2 (Lawrence Co) would play Oakland

On Sunday afternoon the losers meet

On Monday, the winners meet

On Tuesday, the Sunday winner meets the Monday loser

On Wednesday The Tuesday winner plays the Monday winner and must win twice - winner goes to Spring Fling

This is a new modified Limbaugh Plan to accomodate schools without lights. If the site has lights, that Sunday game

could be part of a doubleheader on Monday.

Then we start Spring Fling on Tuesday and end it on Saturday.

This would be far more fair to two different groups. #1 pitchers - they won't throw their arm off as much - and to

teams that have a lot of #2s and #3s but not a great #1...

and maybe we won't see so many slow-pitch softball scores at what is supposed to be the best of the best playing

for a state championship? Ya think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 24 2007 - 09:35 AM) 826465918[/snapback]11-0

14-3

11-1

12-3

10-0

11-1

19-1

15-1

11-10

14-11

18-5

11-0

13-1

15-5

10-2

18-10

16 out of the 40 games played so far in the 2007 Spring Fling have had one or both teams score in double figures.

The current 'playoff system' benefits teams with one great pitcher, not teams with a deep

pitching staff.

The toughest part of the current 'playoff system' is getting out of the district. If you can

clear that hurdle, then your #1 just has to win on Monday and Friday and you are in the

state tournament. Of courser, ypur #1 probably threw two games in the district tournament,

probably throwing that second game on 2 or 3 days rest, and may have even thrown some

more in relieft, and then throws on Monday and then on Friday on 3 days rest (check out

the post-season #s of Major League pitchers on 3 days rest) and then come back on

Tuesday in the state tournament on 3 days rest and then throws on Friday on 2 days rest.

Oh, that record for grown men on 3 days rest in the post season? Totals: 1-9, 8.81 ERA with 94 hits in 64.1 IP - Ouch!

The Limbaugh Plan?

'Adjoining' districts 1 and 2s play each other at alternating 1's locations on odd and even years. Lets take this year's 7AAA and 8AAA for an example.

This is an odd year, and Oakland won 7-AAA so they would be the host site.

On a Saturday, 7AAAA #2 (Cookeville) would play 8AAA #1 (Coffee Co) and then 8AAA #2 (Lawrence Co) would play Oakland

On Sunday afternoon the losers meet

On Monday, the winners meet

On Tuesday, the Sunday winner meets the Monday loser

On Wednesday The Tuesday winner plays the Monday winner and must win twice - winner goes to Spring Fling

This is a new modified Limbaugh Plan to accomodate schools without lights. If the site has lights, that Sunday game

could be part of a doubleheader on Monday.

Then we start Spring Fling on Tuesday and end it on Saturday.

This would be far more fair to two different groups. #1 pitchers - they won't throw their arm off as much - and to

teams that have a lot of #2s and #3s but not a great #1...

and maybe we won't see so many slow-pitch softball scores at what is supposed to be the best of the best playing

for a state championship? Ya think?

The problem is not common sense or a good playoff plan, the problem is that TSSAA is run arbritarily by a few select people who are influenced rather easily. The answer is simple: All proposals should be ratified by a 2/3 majority vote by all member schools affected. Someone should file a lawsuit forcing them to do just that. This is only one of hundreds of issues that would not survive the democrat process.

QUOTE(JPeterman @ May 24 2007 - 11:15 AM) 826465947[/snapback]The problem is not common sense or a good playoff plan, the problem is that TSSAA is run arbritarily by a few select people who are influenced rather easily. The answer is simple: All proposals should be ratified by a 2/3 majority vote by all member schools affected. Someone should file a lawsuit forcing them to do just that. This is only one of hundreds of issues that would not survive the democrat process.

Lawsuit???? How on God's little green earth did someone miss an opportunity like that? I mean they throw toenails in Wendy's chili and sue for that.... they sue over the temperature of the coffee at McDonalds.....

Somebody needs to step up to the plate on this one!

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ May 24 2007 - 10:25 AM) 826465955[/snapback]Lawsuit???? How on God's little green earth did someone miss an opportunity like that? I mean they throw toenails in Wendy's chili and sue for that.... they sue over the temperature of the coffee at McDonalds.....

Somebody needs to step up to the plate on this one!

Maybe you should get a slot on the "Tonight Show" along side Jay Leno.

There are very few teams in the state that have enough pitching depth

to make postseason baseball anything but slugfests once you get in

the loser's bracket. Maybe AAA does, but quality pitching depth is a

rarity in the public A & AA schools. Lots of years you're blessed to

have two good ones, much less three, four or five.

I saw a lot of teams on different levels (district, region, sub-state,

state) and I didn't see a whole lot of pitching anywhere. I think a

lot of hitters have caught up in the last 10 years and combine that

with 2's & 3's who are being forced to groove pitches due to some

tough strike zones & it's going to lead to some slugfests.

I agree a lot of runs have been scored & they certainly don't look

like baseball scores. Heck, Marion County scored 21 runs in two

games ( 10 & 11) and LOST both. My school has won three state

championships & I don't know if you add all the games up from

all three years if we scored 21 runs !!

There have been different formats through the years. I've seen

2 teams play on one's homefield in a best 2 out of 3 series,

a four team double elimination, and an eight team double

elimination.

Is there a good answer ? I really don't know. Maybe wooden bats,

maybe better strike zones, maybe better development of

pitching staffs.

Best answer I have now is simple. Stay out of the loser's

bracket.

Don't just watch state tourney results. Look at college conference

results this weekend as well. I'll betcha there's going to be

some wide & wooly high scoring games at that level as well.

You never have enough pitching.

QUOTE(tigerman @ May 24 2007 - 10:40 AM) 826465965[/snapback]Don't just watch state tourney results. Look at college conference

results this weekend as well. I'll betcha there's going to be

some wide & wooly high scoring games at that level as well.

You never have enough pitching.

I hear ya! But the Sunbelt, ACC and SEC tournaments are the top 8 teams or so playing each other....

And the better teams are not in a big hurry to throw their best arms a lot with a regional around the corner.

Spring Fling is the last step for our high school kids.

The one thing I am trying to accomplish is to weed out the teams that may have a great #1 and not

much else on the hill and reward teams that have more pitching, just not that one big gun - see what I mean?

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 24 2007 - 10:57 AM) 826465974[/snapback]I hear ya! But the Sunbelt, ACC and SEC tournaments are the top 8 teams or so playing each other....

And the better teams are not in a big hurry to throw their best arms a lot with a regional around the corner.

Spring Fling is the last step for our high school kids.

The one thing I am trying to accomplish is to weed out the teams that may have a great #1 and not

much else on the hill and reward teams that have more pitching, just not that one big gun - see what I mean?

I see what you mean. Our district even played each other on back to back

days this year to prove your point.

I didn't do a study on it, but my guess is the Monday games were a little

more low scoring than the Tuesday games if all things were equal.

But postseason is a different animal.

Even with a first round bye we played four games in the district

( forced into the loser's bracket ) two in the region, one sectional &

three in the state. That was 10 games in a space of 17 days ( 8 were

off days). We rode our ace as far as we could, but we also leaned on

numbers 2,3 & 4 as well. We wouldn't have made it to the state

without them.

Our scores...12-2, 4-5, 2-1, 4-10, 2-0, 9-8, 1-0, 2-4, 14-11, 5-18.

All through this run, I'm sure we saw everybody else's numbers 2,3,&4

as well. The result. Some great pitchers duels and some great

offensive slugfests.

QUOTE(tigerman @ May 24 2007 - 11:19 AM) 826465996[/snapback]I see what you mean. Our district even played each other on back to back

days this year to prove your point.

I didn't do a study on it, but my guess is the Monday games were a little

more low scoring than the Tuesday games if all things were equal.

But postseason is a different animal.

Even with a first round bye we played four games in the district

( forced into the loser's bracket ) two in the region, one sectional &

three in the state. That was 10 games in a space of 17 days ( 8 were

off days). We rode our ace as far as we could, but we also leaned on

numbers 2,3 & 4 as well. We wouldn't have made it to the state

without them.

Our scores...12-2, 4-5, 2-1, 4-10, 2-0, 9-8, 1-0, 2-4, 14-11, 5-18.

All through this run, I'm sure we saw everybody else's numbers 2,3,&4

as well. The result. Some great pitchers duels and some great

offensive slugfests.

I am familiar with AAA. Take Clarksville this year for example. They play a great 9 inning game

with Smyrna on a Monday night - 0-0 thru 8 - and lose 1-0 in 9 innings. And BANG! their season is over.

What is to say that Clarksville's #2 and #3 and even #4 may be better than the other 3 teams in that

region and they may have been able to battle back from the loser's bracket and win their way to Spring Fling?

and be more representative with a deeper pitching staff than Smyrna? We will never know.

How many teams don't make it to Spring Fling every year that could if the post-season was more conducive to getting the best 'team' their instead of the team with the best #1's ??? See what I mean?

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 24 2007 - 12:56 PM) 826466061[/snapback]I am familiar with AAA. Take Clarksville this year for example. They play a great 9 inning game

with Smyrna on a Monday night - 0-0 thru 8 - and lose 1-0 in 9 innings. And BANG! their season is over.

What is to say that Clarksville's #2 and #3 and even #4 may be better than the other 3 teams in that

region and they may have been able to battle back from the loser's bracket and win their way to Spring Fling?

and be more representative with a deeper pitching staff than Smyrna? We will never know.

How many teams don't make it to Spring Fling every year that could if the post-season was more conducive to getting the best 'team' their instead of the team with the best #1's ??? See what I mean?

As an added comment: Why should it be possible to lose a game and still win the Championship over a team with no losses? The tournament should be a true double elimination tournament using the softball brackets. You would get a true Champion that way. Now whoever wins and the runner up can both have one loss( that is stupid to the 12th power).