AA Championship - Goodpasture 5, USJ 4 in 9 inn.

PageMan

Here is the box score from the TSSAA:

http://www.tssaa.org/2006Champions/StateBa...ssAA/Game14.htm

USJ....................0..0..0....0..3..0....0..1..0.....4..8..3

Goodpasture.....0..0..0....1..2..0....0..1..1.....5..9..2

Starting Pitcher - Ross Moffitt - 5 inn - 3 runs - 3 ER - 6 hits - 3 K - 3 walks - 1 hit batter

Winning Relief Pitcher - Turner Cripps - 4 inn - 1 run - 1 ER - 2 hits - 5 K's - 3 walks (1 int)

Starting Pitcher - Preston Overbey - 4.33 inn - 3 runs - 3 ER - 4 hits - 3 K - 2 walks

Losing Relief Pitcher - Josh Lyles - 4 inn - 2 runs - 1 ER - 5 hits - 5 K - 0 walks

USJ threatened in the top of the 1st as Josh Liles led off with a single, advanced to 2nd on a sac bunt by Daniel Grimm, advanced to 3rd on a 6-3 ground out by Clayton Gant, but was stranded as the last batter flied out to RF.

USJ again threatened in the top of the 3rd as Josh Liles doubled with 1 out, advanced to 3rd on a 4-3 ground out by Daniel Grimm, but again was stranded as the last batter flied out to RF.

Goodpasture appeared to have a threat in the bottom of the 3rd as Tyler Lovell reached base on a FC1 and appeared to steal 2nd and to advance to 3rd on a throwing error, but the umpires ruled that the batter had interfered with the catcher's throw and called the batter out and sent Lovell back to 1st. The next batter popped up to the catcher to end the inning.

Goodpasture's first run came in the bottom of 4th as Coleman Stround hit a Home Run to CF with 1 out as Goodpasture leads 1-0.

USJ took the lead in the top of the 5th with 3 runs as Josh Liles reached base on a FC6, stole 2nd, and advanced to 3rd on a single by Daniel Grimm. Clayton Gant tripled to right center which scored both Liles and Grimm. Jon Wills then singled which scored Gant as USJ takes the lead at 3-1.

Goodpasture came back in the bottom of the 5th to tie the game at 3 all with 2 runs as Tyler Lovell doubled down the left field line with 1 out and scored on a triple to right field by Chris White. After Reece Lovell walked, there was a pitching change, and Ryan Hanson singled which scored White.

Neither team was able to generate any runs in either the 6th or 7th innings as the game went to extra innings.

USJ scored 1 run in the top of the 8th as Will Glenn tripled down the right field line and scored on a single by Kyle Bryan. Bryan advanced to 2nd on a sac bunt by Benjie Fesmire, Josh Liles was intentionally walked, and Daniel Grimm walked to load the bases with 2 outs, but the last batter flied out to end the inning as USJ took the lead at 4-3.

Goodpasture answered in the bottom of the 8th as Adam Akins singled to RC with 2 outs and scored on a double by Bennett Smith as the game was tied again. Smith was stranded at 2nd as the next batter grounded out 5-3.

USJ had one runner reach base in the top of the 9 as Preston Overbey walked with one out, but Goodpasture's Turner Cripps struck out the next two batters to end the inning.

Goodpasture won the game in the bottom of the 9th as Tyler Lovell singled with 1 out and advanced to 2nd on a FC1 by Chris White as the attempted force at 2nd was unsuccessful as the throw was high. Reece Lovell then singled to load the bases. Ryan Hanson then hit a ground ball to 3rd, but the throw to the plate was off as Lovell scored the winning run as Goodpasture took the win at 5-4.

Congratulations to Goodpasture - The 2007 AA State Champions.

Condolences to USJ and I know they will be back next year as they have a young team with plenty of talent.

This is my final report of the baseball season and I hope to be back on the boards here next school season with coverage of volleyball, girl's and boy's basketball, and of course, baseball. Thanks to everyone I met along the way and have a good summer.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(PageMan @ May 25 2007 - 08:00 PM) 826467211[/snapback]You should have been there, wingman10. It was hot and I almost was overcome with dehydration again for the 3rd time this week, but it was an exciting game.

was this usj's second straight championship game appearance?

First of all, didn't know how to take Pageman at first but learned he is a first class guy and I appreciate his dedication and enthusiasm for the great game of baseball. Next, great game today beween 2 great programs. Looked like USJ had it, but GP came thru with clutch hits when they had to. USJ is very young - 5 Freshmen played today, 2 Juniors and 2 Sophomores. The Seniors will be sorely missed, not only for their talent but also their leadership. They are leaving things in good shape for the future. Last, I sat behind 2 gentlemen who were GP fans - one I believe is Adkins' grandfather and the other was Mr. Herb Murphy, a longtime OVC official from Goodlettsville. We didn't agree on many calls and I couldn't convert them to USJ fans, but I really enjoyed their company - and Mr. Murphy's "tales" - first class guys !

QUOTE(hasbeen7 @ May 25 2007 - 11:30 PM) 826467360[/snapback]First of all, didn't know how to take Pageman at first but learned he is a first class guy and I appreciate his dedication and enthusiasm for the great game of baseball. Next, great game today beween 2 great programs. Looked like USJ had it, but GP came thru with clutch hits when they had to. USJ is very young - 5 Freshmen played today, 2 Juniors and 2 Sophomores. The Seniors will be sorely missed, not only for their talent but also their leadership. They are leaving things in good shape for the future. Last, I sat behind 2 gentlemen who were GP fans - one I believe is Adkins' grandfather and the other was Mr. Herb Murphy, a longtime OVC official from Goodlettsville. We didn't agree on many calls and I couldn't convert them to USJ fans, but I really enjoyed their company - and Mr. Murphy's "tales" - first class guys !

Congrats to both baseball clubs - they both showed tremendous heart and class in a game where both teams deserved a championship ring. I agree about Pageman - your dedication to the great game of baseball and young high school students is appreciated. Regarding USJ, the future is bright but we will sorely miss the leadership of our seniors especially Liles and Glenn. They are both tremendous players but are greater young men...all the best to them and all the USJ seniors! Its time to get back to work! Over and out...

First, I want to apologize for my earlier comments that were taken as insults to the USJ program. After watching them this week, I gained respect for their coaches, players, and fans. Josh Liles is really a great player and will really be an asset to UT next season. Good luck to the other seniors - Will Glenn, Daniel Grimm, Simon Arcuri, Nathan Bell, and Andrew LeCroy - as they move on to life after high school. Junior Clayton Gant will be a great team leader next season and returning players Trey Buckley, Hunter Smith, Kyle Bryan, Benjie Fesmire, Preston Overbey, Dusty Bright, Jon Wills, and others will surely return USJ to the state tournament next year. I'll be keeping my eye on your team for great things in the future.

QUOTE(PageMan @ May 26 2007 - 08:48 AM) 826467433[/snapback]First, I want to apologize for my earlier comments that were taken as insults to the USJ program. After watching them this week, I gained respect for their coaches, players, and fans. Josh Liles is really a great player and will really be an asset to UT next season. Good luck to the other seniors - Will Glenn, Daniel Grimm, Simon Arcuri, Nathan Bell, and Andrew LeCroy - as they move on to life after high school. Junior Clayton Gant will be a great team leader next season and returning players Trey Buckley, Hunter Smith, Kyle Bryan, Benjie Fesmire, Preston Overbey, Dusty Bright, Jon Wills, and others will surely return USJ to the state tournament next year. I'll be keeping my eye on your team for great things in the future.

PageMan - Daniel Grimm will be joining Clayton Gant as a returning senior next year ... and believe me, not because he failed any classes (he does as good a job in the classroom as he does on the ballfield). The TSSAA program had him listed as a Sr., but he is only a Jr.

thanks for your great reports ... we all enjoyed reading them.

An congrats to the Bruins. You guys left it all on the field. Looking forward already to next year!

Sorry for the error, BaseHitBallFour - sorry BallFourBaseHit - I was going by the program in that I am not infinitely familiar with your team, but I am more familiar now than I was. I provide the reports for parents and other supporters who can not make the games - either because they are far away or have to work. My reports do not always agree with the official box scores from the TSSAA as I sometimes score things differently. I hope I didn't make too many errors and I wish I had included more commentary instead of just the raw facts. Thanks for reading my reports.

QUOTE(PageMan @ May 26 2007 - 11:40 AM) 826467503[/snapback]Sorry for the error, BaseHitBallFour - sorry BallFourBaseHit - I was going by the program in that I am not infinitely familiar with your team, but I am more familiar now than I was. I provide the reports for parents and other supporters who can not make the games - either because they are far away or have to work. My reports do not always agree with the official box scores from the TSSAA as I sometimes score things differently. I hope I didn't make too many errors and I wish I had included more commentary instead of just the raw facts. Thanks for reading my reports.

PageMan your reports have been great! You are definitely a class act and your love for baseball trully shines through....we will be back and better than ever....see ya next year......Your reports are better and much more acurate than the TSSAA box scores!