Private-vs-Public schools

tdodls

QUOTE(Bighurt @ Jun 11 2007 - 11:02 AM) 826473781[/snapback]Those are valid concerns/questions. BTW, I agree with Antwan. A merit system will never be approved in my opinion.

I must admit I have not studied any merit system in depth. I am open to any better system. I don't like what we have now. I don't

think the multiplier is fair for you or us.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Bighurt @ Jun 11 2007 - 11:02 AM) 826473781[/snapback]Those are valid concerns/questions. BTW, I agree with Antwan. A merit system will never be approved in my opinion.

I think you are right about this system not being approved. TSSAA has too much control and too much money to lose but implementing it.

I honestly believe the answer begins with getting an Athletic Association in place in the state that actually has the quality and fair administration of high school athletics as its primary goal, not its profiteering from it.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jun 11 2007 - 09:22 AM) 826473752[/snapback]The ones I've seen do use a BCS type ranking. I really don't like that idea. That is the ambiguous ratings I was referring to.

Antwan,

If you go to two classifications, what do you do about playoffs? Who gets in? How many get in? I love the idea, and facetiously proposed having only one classification on another posting. But even with two classes, you are left facing a bunch of whinners who got left out of the dance. Is is fair that a school of 888 may have to play a school with 2592?

I think that it comes down to the conflict between two huge aspects of athletics; fairness vs competitiveness. Can you have both without having 5, 10, or 15 classifications? Competition is all about building strengths and exploiting weaknesses. Fairness is about equalizing strengths and weaknesses. So thats the quandry we are in.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 11 2007 - 02:11 PM) 826473856[/snapback]Antwan,

If you go to two classifications, what do you do about playoffs? Who gets in? How many get in? I love the idea, and facetiously proposed having only one classification on another posting. But even with two classes, you are left facing a bunch of whinners who got left out of the dance. Is is fair that a school of 888 may have to play a school with 2592?

I think that it comes down to the conflict between two huge aspects of athletics; fairness vs competitiveness. Can you have both without having 5, 10, or 15 classifications? Competition is all about building strengths and exploiting weaknesses. Fairness is about equalizing strengths and weaknesses. So thats the quandry we are in.

Actually...there would be 4 classes in all counting privates. I would be fine with that. Two public...two private. I would limit the playoffs to the number we have now in those two public classes (32).

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 12 2007 - 08:12 AM) 826474152[/snapback]There it is. The public school loophole. Dont like where you have to play? Move. I wondered when that was going to come up.

She moved. Its legal. If the family can afford to do that then good for them. I mean families can afford to drop their kids out of a public school and pay outrages amounts of money to a private, why cant a public player do the same to transfer to another public school.

Gee...if she wanted more exposure...she should have come here. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Isn't it still illegal to transfer for athletic purposes? Her mother admitted to

that in the article. Has that clause been removed? Just wondering.

I don't like to see this kind of thing...but it does happen all the time. I really hope the young lady does well wherever she plays.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 12 2007 - 08:20 AM) 826474157[/snapback]She moved. Its legal. If the family can afford to do that then good for them. I mean families can afford to drop their kids out of a public school and pay outrages amounts of money to a private, why cant a public player do the same to transfer to another public school.

If this were a private, would your comments be different? She didn't transfer to Trousdale or Macon Co - both logistically as easy as Jackson Co.

It makes you wonder if an arrangement has been worked out for a place to live. A place of work for her parents. Etc. Wouldn't that be the argument if this was say Marco Daily and the school was Ezell Harding?

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jun 12 2007 - 08:29 AM) 826474163[/snapback]Gee...if she wanted more exposure...she should have come here. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Isn't it still illegal to transfer for athletic purposes? Her mother admitted to

that in the article. Has that clause been removed? Just wondering.

I don't like to see this kind of thing...but it does happen all the time. I really hope the young lady does well whereever she plays.

I know I wouldn't want to get lost in the shadow of the soon to be, multiple Miss Basketball winner. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(tnsddeveloper @ Jun 12 2007 - 08:36 AM) 826474167[/snapback]If this were a private, would your comments be different? She didn't transfer to Trousdale or Macon Co - both logistically as easy as Jackson Co.

It makes you wonder if an arrangement has been worked out for a place to live. A place of work for her parents. Etc. Wouldn't that be the argument if this was say Marco Daily and the school was Ezell Harding?

I know I wouldn't want to get lost in the shadow of the soon to be, multiple Miss Basketball winner. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think in the girls basketball forum...it says her mother has a job in Jackson County's school system. So yeah...you could assume a job

was worked out in advance.

I don't think she would have been lost in her shadow. Both are great players. If her goal is to play college ball...like I said...she would have been

seen much more here. Coaches would come to see both players. We have a coach that has won a title too.

• 2 weeks later...