Age to throw curveball

Frayser1974

QUOTE(gunzablazin5 @ May 31 2007 - 12:03 PM) 826469621[/snapback]The reason the curveball is effective now is because 11 year old hitters have no discipline when it comes to hitting. Save your son the pain and agony of arm trouble on down the road. If they don't let him pitch him then who cares. And I might be looking for another team to put my son on due to the fact that his coaches obviously have no background in this game if they are asking your son to throw so many curveballs at such a young age.

What about pitching 4 innings of a game (about 50-60 pitches) and then catching the next game in the same day? Is this ok for an 11 year olds arm? I am trying to rely on the coaches but not sure if they have the best intentions.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(gunzablazin5 @ May 31 2007 - 10:55 AM) 826469592[/snapback]Don't start popin off with the mouth choctaw. I didn't say it wasn't a good pitch to throw. I said it wasn't needed as much as people are throwing it. Curveballs in high school are more successful due to hitters not being as disciplined as college hitters. Curveballs at the college level get hit a heck of a lot harder. Now in saying that, there are some guys who throw outstanding curveballs that are hard to hit. Most pitchers don't throw that OUTSTANDING curveball.

POPPIN" OFF @ THE MOUTH ?!? Didn't realize I was ! Seems to me if you can read I'm leanin' toward agreein' with you than poppin off ! A kid that can hit his spots doesn't have to throw a 90 mph fastball to be effective ! Thus no reason to live on a "less than outstanding hook" !

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 10:58 AM) 826469619[/snapback]I am a single mom trying to let my son play competitive baseball. I was proud of my son when he shook off the pitch and called the coach to the mound. If the coaches want to sit in the dugout and make comments then he is more of a man then they are.

This is my two cents from a guy who has no kids and just loves baseball, so take it for what it's worth.

If I were in your shoes I would pull my kid off that team so fast I'd be worried about him getting whiplash. Your son does not need to be around coaches who would continue to call curves to make him shake them off as well as make comments about it otherwise. I am sure there are other teams around that are better coached that have the players interest in mind as well.

You are correct that the coaches are only concerned about W and L. They probably do not have the first idea about the game of baseball either. If you care to answer, what age are they and do they have sons on the team?

Also, no, I do not believe it is a good idea to throw that many pitches and then catch the next game. More proof these coaches do not know what they are doing.

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 11:58 AM) 826469619[/snapback]I am a single mom trying to let my son play competitive baseball. I was proud of my son when he shook off the pitch and called the coach to the mound. If the coaches want to sit in the dugout and make comments then he is more of a man then they are.

My apologies about the incorrect assumption that you are the father, and my applause for being a single mom who is strong enough and care enough to have him playing organised baseball. He will benefit from it for the rest of his life.

I sounds like you might want to find a team with coaches that have more knowledge and concern than it sounds like your sons coaches do. Good luck, and dont ever be afraid to do what is right for your son, no matter what some little league coach may make you think.

QUOTE(Solomon @ May 31 2007 - 02:02 PM) 826469682[/snapback]This is my two cents from a guy who has no kids and just loves baseball, so take it for what it's worth.

If I were in your shoes I would pull my kid off that team so fast I'd be worried about him getting whiplash. Your son does not need to be around coaches who would continue to call curves to make him shake them off as well as make comments about it otherwise. I am sure there are other teams around that are better coached that have the players interest in mind as well.

You are correct that the coaches are only concerned about W and L. They probably do not have the first idea about the game of baseball either. If you care to answer, what age are they and do they have sons on the team?

Also, no, I do not believe it is a good idea to throw that many pitches and then catch the next game. More proof these coaches do not know what they are doing.

They play 11U ball and there are 4 coaches and yes all of their sons play. My son sits alot when he is not pitching but they claim that he is their ace pitcher and they do not want to hurt his arm by letting him play other positions. Isn't 11 years old to young to just pitch and backup the catcher. I think he needs to be getting some experience at some other positions?

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 01:23 PM) 826469696[/snapback]They play 11U ball and there are 4 coaches and yes all of their sons play. My son sits alot when he is not pitching but they claim that he is their ace pitcher and they do not want to hurt his arm by letting him play other positions. Isn't 11 years old to young to just pitch and backup the catcher. I think he needs to be getting some experience at some other positions?

You have said enough. I would definitely be finding another team. 11 years old is entirely too early to be focusing on one position, especially when they are hurting your son's arm in the process whether they realize it or not.

Like I said, I don't have any kids, yet. But, I have a a very good friend whose kid was in a similar situation. I am almost willing to guarantee these coaches don't know what they are doing. They don't sound like they should be coaching a rec league, much less a competitive travel team.

QUOTE(73choctawqb @ May 31 2007 - 01:57 PM) 826469677[/snapback]POPPIN" OFF @ THE MOUTH ?!? Didn't realize I was ! Seems to me if you can read I'm leanin' toward agreein' with you than poppin off ! A kid that can hit his spots doesn't have to throw a 90 mph fastball to be effective ! Thus no reason to live on a "less than outstanding hook" !

I can read. I just read it the wrong way. My bad.

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 01:55 PM) 826469676[/snapback]What about pitching 4 innings of a game (about 50-60 pitches) and then catching the next game in the same day? Is this ok for an 11 year olds arm? I am trying to rely on the coaches but not sure if they have the best intentions.

At his age, throwing 50-60 pitches during a game and then catching the next game probably won't bother him much. I would assume that they get a day off from throwing after he does that doesn't he? Besides when he is catching he is not putting a lot on the ball when he is throwing it back to the pitcher so he is probably ok. Just be careful and watch him closely. If he is tender then he needs to tell somebody that his arm is tender. Your his dad. You watch the situation and just know that curveballs are not good for his arm at this age.

i am going to DISAGREE with solomon i would not pullmy son off the team right now i would talk to the coaches about it and put it to an end but i would not quit the team i would just talk with the coaches quitting wuld not be an option as far as daddy ball it doesnt matter what team you go to there is gonna be some daddy ball if your son is having fun and enjoying the game leave it alone if he wants to play more encourage him to work harder in practice and get better again dont let quitting be an option

just MY OPINION

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ May 31 2007 - 02:51 PM) 826469716[/snapback]i am going to DISAGREE with solomon i would not pullmy son off the team right now i would talk to the coaches about it and put it to an end but i would not quit the team i would just talk with the coaches quitting wuld not be an option as far as daddy ball it doesnt matter what team you go to there is gonna be some daddy ball if your son is having fun and enjoying the game leave it alone if he wants to play more encourage him to work harder in practice and get better again dont let quitting be an option

just MY OPINION

VERY GOOD POINT ! Quitting can become a habit . If there is another way I'd give it a try first. Talk with the coaches, voice your concerns. My experience as a parent in A LOT of baseball as well as other sports is that it is best to air issues out that concern the well being of your kids. Make yourself heard rather than being victimized by the cliques & back biting that goes on. It WILL GO ON ANY WAY ! Talk to these guys ! Part of their problem might be that they think that you as a "SIngle Mom" don't know diddly ! Well, it sounds to me like you know enough to be concerned about the welfare of your youngn's arm ! Talk to 'em before you throw in the towel !