Softball, only 1 pitcher for a whole tournament?

catsbackr

QUOTE(JC#1fan @ Jun 6 2007 - 11:59 AM) 826472068[/snapback]If Rhodes (tennesse's # 2) can't handle Hawaii, "How do you think she can handle Arizona a 7 time national title team?" The answer for the question (not nessasarily the one every one wants to hear) is that the pitching motion for a softball pitcher (as mentioned earlier) is a natural one. (you don't walk around flailing your hands over your head, you walk with them by your side) thus the softball pitching motion (below the waist) does not cause a pitcher to tire or get injured as easily (throwing a lot of curve balls is an exception). If you have the most dominant pitcher in NCAA college history you would be a fool to not throw her, just like you would be a fool to put a freshman pinch hitter with no RBi's and no HR's in with one out and the winning run up to bat like Tennesse did last night in the 10th inning. If you have much knowledge about the softball pitching game you will notice the difference between a good pitcher and a great pitcher. Compare the difference in the combination of pitches thrown by both pitchers in the previous three meetings. Abbott was all heat in the first win then threw movement and offspeed (change=up) in the second. Arizona threw more change- ups in their win than was probably thrown in the rest of the college world series. Guarantee tonight you see a completely different set of pitches from both pitchers. In baseball (which I think you are comparing this to) pitchers usually have one or two good pitches and tire more easily because of motion and # of innings in a game. IN softball most pitchers have 4-5 different pitches causing greater pitch selection per pitcher and they do not tire as easily. It is not about the pitcher you see it is about the combination of pitches. The one variable here is the top pitchers in the country bring something only players can attest to (reputation). 6'3", 72 mph fastball, All time leader in strikeouts, All-time leader in games won,most strikeouts in a college world series, "Do you think any batter in the country (beside Katie Jett,4 for 4 with 2 homeruns in the same game off of Abbott earlier in the season, 'she didn't know any better") is not intimidated by that. If you do, refer to the statement made earlier about putting a freshman in to bat with the world series on the line, you get the same result.

Hey JCfan,

I was just as proud to see an IMAC girl hit two HR's off of Abbot as anyone. The accomplishment was big enough without making it more than it was. She did not go 4 for 4 off of Abbot...just the two HR's. I will say however, that she did get the only hit of the game off of Rhodes in the second game, and made two incredible diving catches in right field. What a night for a great young ball player.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JC#1fan @ Jun 6 2007 - 11:59 AM) 826472068[/snapback]"Do you think any batter in the country (beside Katie Jett,4 for 4 with 2 homeruns in the same game off of Abbott earlier in the season, 'she didn't know any better") is not intimidated by that.

Jc#1fan

Katy was not 4-4 she was 2-3 but could you explain what you meant by "she didn't know any better".

QUOTE(statman3 @ Jun 6 2007 - 05:06 PM) 826472272[/snapback]Hey JCfan,

I was just as proud to see an IMAC girl hit two HR's off of Abbot as anyone. The accomplishment was big enough without making it more than it was. She did not go 4 for 4 off of Abbot...just the two HR's. I will say however, that she did get the only hit of the game off of Rhodes in the second game, and made two incredible diving catches in right field. What a night for a great young ball player.

Sorry for the miss information I meant to say she reached four times that night ( it was a double header with Rhodes pitching the second game. As for the comment that she didn't know any better, What I was insinuating was that she didn't worry about who was pitching she was just swinging the bat like it was anybody else on the mound. It was ment to be semi-humorous, loosen up alittle bit every body. I HAVE THE GREATEST RESPECT for what Katie and many other of our IMAC girls have accomplished.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Jun 6 2007 - 01:46 PM) 826472163[/snapback]Thanks for all the responses.

I still don't believe, without somehow limiting the number of inning an individual pitcher can throw, the best TEAM is being identified.

It's definitely been exciting. I wish they would move the mound back and make the baselines a little longer to bring more offense into the game. I watched Tennessee last night and through 5 or 6 innings they had 4 hits and only one hit went past the pitcher's rubber.

But, it's still fun to watch. Now would I be watching if the Lady Vols weren't playing? Well,.............

If a pitcher can throw consistently and not get hurt (your legs wear out before your arm does)...what does it matter?

If you moved the bases back & the pitching mound back.... wouldn’t that be baseball? Being at 43 feet & pitching a 67 mi. hour ball is equivalent to a 95 mi. hr fastball in baseball. So, as far as talent…these girls have to be on top of their game to hit. As far as them slap bunting all the time…. you do what you have to do to get on base. Softball is what it is & we like it that way.

Softball is fine the way it is. I'm glad that the women get a lil attention this year....UT going to the World series has been good for women’s softball around here!

If a pitcher can throw consistently and not get hurt (your legs wear out before your arm does)...what does it matter?

By the same token, if a batter is getting a lot of hits, why not let that batter bat every time and just have different people run for her?

If you moved the bases back & the pitching mound back.... wouldn’t that be baseball?

No, if you moved the bases and the rubber back, it wouldn't be baseball, it would be more entertaining, at least to someone that is trying to learn to enjoy this game.

I told ya'll I was a baseball guy. I'm just trying to get into softball a little.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Jun 8 2007 - 07:14 PM) 826473029[/snapback]By the same token, if a batter is getting a lot of hits, why not let that batter bat every time and just have different people run for her?

No, if you moved the bases and the rubber back, it wouldn't be baseball, it would be more entertaining, at least to someone that is trying to learn to enjoy this game.

I told ya'll I was a baseball guy. I'm just trying to get into softball a little.

If you truly are trying to get into it, then just sit back, relax and learn to appreciate the differences for what they are. Chances are you will become addicted to this sport like many others have become.