Weight lifting and games in the same day

CHSballer#16

QUOTE(Frayser1974 @ Jun 15 2007 - 07:45 AM) 826475375[/snapback]Highschool sports........win at all costs?

that sounds bad i know. i didnt mean it like that. i was simply referring to a "leave it all on the field" attitude....even if you have to use the "fall down play" with runners on 1st and 3rd, the "simultaneous break" with 1st and 3rd occupied and a left handed pitcher, or "cut 3rd" play with a runner on 2nd and 3rd. please dont tell me a particular west tennessee school is the only one that uses these to their advantage if none of these ring a bell?? lol.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well during the summer i lift 3 days a week for football do conditiong 2 days a week play basketball games one day and they play 4 5inning games a weeek along with battin practice 3-4 days a week and i do get a little tired but it dont kill me. As oppossed to during the school year during baseball i never lift on gamedays but i also catch

It might be time for these athletes to decide....football or baseball!

My son made the decision and went strickly baseball for that very reason. They were asking him to work out the last period of the day and then 2 hours later he was on the mound for a conference game....he said hummmm one day after a bad pitching outing because his arms were too tired to lift let alone pitch and he walked off the football team.

If the football program and baseball program cannot work together with these dual sport athletes then the athlete needs to stand up and make a desision himself.

Well,in this instance,the top football assistant IS the head coach of the baseball team...Looks like he could at least work with HIMSELF.... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I personally don't want to limit my kids to one sport.....My oldest son just graduated and he played basketball and football in junior high...He made the decision early on he would concentrate on football....It worked out for him just fine...My youngest son plays football,baseball and basketball...If he chooses to play all three and he can hold up the academic side of it,I'll be there to support him..If after his 9th grade year he decides it's too much and wants to play one sport,I'll support him in that decision also.....Personally,I think maybe there is something not being told here(the Union City instance) since the assistant football coach is the head coach of the baseball team..I can't imagine a coach pulling double duty would hurt himself by "wearing out" his own players...

Right now my son is lifting three days a week and practicing basketball 4 or 5 days a week....So far he is holding up fine....I guess it depends on the individual doing the work....

Well,in this instance,the top football assistant IS the head coach of the baseball team...Looks like he could at least work with HIMSELF.... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I personally don't want to limit my kids to one sport.....My oldest son just graduated and he played basketball and football in junior high...He made the decision early on he would concentrate on football....It worked out for him just fine...My youngest son plays football,baseball and basketball...If he chooses to play all three and he can hold up the academic side of it,I'll be there to support him..If after his 9th grade year he decides it's too much and wants to play one sport,I'll support him in that decision also.....Personally,I think maybe there is something not being told here(the Union City instance) since the assistant football coach is the head coach of the baseball team..I can't imagine a coach pulling double duty would hurt himself by "wearing out" his own players...

Right now my son is lifting three days a week and practicing basketball 4 or 5 days a week....So far he is holding up fine....I guess it depends on the individual doing the work....

I think the thing not being told about Union City is that only Freshmen lift during last period at school. All upperclassmen are in an actual class instead of lifting. I'm not saying that the Freshmen don't make a big difference, but UC only had 2 Freshmen last year and neither started.

When weight lifting regardless of sport or the time always but always stretch before and after your lifts. It does make an athletic difference.

shoot...take that advice a step farther...when getting out of bed or standing up from sitting in the lazy boy watching the CWS in Omaha, or anytime you've been still for a while, by all means stretch before and after you stand up. It does make a difference in whether you walk, waddle or drag yourself to the coffee pot.