Mercy Rule

thug dadi

I decided to do some research on the new clock rule. What does it affect and how did it come about. I went back through the championship games because of available records online from the TSSAA. I had to go back to 2001 playoff between Ezell-Harding & Cloudland. Final score was Ezell-Harding 63-26 over Cloudland. What would have been the impact in this game if the continuous clock run had been in place in prior to the 2001 football season?

Ezell-Harding went up 50-12 on interception return for touchdown by Antoine Owens with 6.06 left in the third. After eight rushes and two first downs, Cloudland kicks the ball back to Ezell Harding. After one incomplete pass, J.P. Shelly completed 91 yd pass to Erik Davis with 1:04 left in the 3rd period to go up 57-12. Cloudland scores touchdown with 10:31 left in the fourth quarter - 57-18. Ezell-Harding J.P. Shelly completes another touchdown for 17 yard pass with 7:41 left in the fourth quarter to go up 63-18. Cloudland scores on running touchdown with 5:26 left in the game for the final score of 63-26.

With the new mandated continuous clock when one team gets a 35-point advantage over its opponent in the second half, would the outcome been different and how?

I guessing but the final score would have been either 57-18 or 63-18. I was thinking this is no big deal until I look at some statistics and records.

TSSAA Championship Records Broken:

1) Longest Touchdown Pass: 91 Yards, J.P. Shelly to Erik Davis, Ezell-Harding. Previous record 86 Yards Anthony Hall to Derrick Woods, Melrose v. Kingston, 1998

Would this record been accomplished with continuous clock. Probably

2) Total Yards (one team): 603, Ezell-Harding. Previous record 546, Trousdale County v. University School of Jackson, 1998

Would this record been accomplished with continuous clock. No

3) Total Yards (both teams): 1008; Ezell-Harding (603) v. Cloudland (405). Previous record 887, University School of Jackson (495) v. Christ Presbyterian (392), 2000

Would this record been accomplished with continuous clock. Toss-up

TSSAA Championship Records Tied:

1) Most Points in a Game (one team): Ezell-Harding 63. Tied record set by Trousdale County v. University School of Jackson in 1998

2) Most Touchdowns in a Game (one team): Ezell-Harding 9. Tied record set by Trousdale County v. University School of Jackson in 1998

3) Most Touchdown passes (individual): J.P. Shelly, 4. Tied record set by David Bibee, Tennessee High v. Baylor in 1972 & Cedric Wilson, Melrose v. Tyner in 1996

Looking back at the regular season leading up to this game, other state records were broken by Ezell Harding.

Ezell Harding Christian School 2001 Schedule

Week Opponent Result

8-17 Loretto W 76-21

8-24 at Upperman W 42-0

8-31 CPA W 26-20

9-7 Open

9-14 DCA W 48-14

9-21 at Boyd Buchanan W 42-14

9-28 at Nashville Christian W 52-0

10-5 at Lighthouse W 46-0

10-12 Jo Byrns W 21-14

10-19 Clarksville Academy W 81-0

10-26 at FRA W 41-7

11-2 Moore Co. W 55-20

11-9 Cascade W 42-7

11-16 Collinwood W 42-21

11-23 USJ W 28-21

TSSAA STATE RECORD FOR FOOTBALL

Most Touchdown Passes in a Game - Individual

10 J.P. Shelly Ezell Harding vs. Loretto August 18, 2001

Most Touchdown Passes in a Season - Individual

48 J.P. Shelly Ezell Harding 2001

38 Kenton Evans Westwood 1995

Most Touchdowns in a Season (Rushing + Passing) - Individual

52 J.P. Shelly Ezell Harding 2001

46 Kenton Evans Westwood 1995

Total Offense in a Season (Includes Rushing & Passing Yardage Only) - Individual

3894 J.P. Shelly Ezell Harding 2001

3729 Kenton Evans Westwood 1994

Most Extra Points Kicking in a Season - Team

94 Ezell Harding 2001

76 Maryville 2004

Most Extra Points Kicking in a Season - Individual

92 Jacob Michael Burney Ezell Harding 2001

92 Jared White Trousdale County 2005

72 Mike Jackson South Pittsburg 1998

Will these records be broken by the new continuous clock rule? Not a chance!

Summary:

Due to the new continuous clock rule, TSSAA State Records for Football like these and others will not likely be broken. The TSSAA should think about consequences such as this. I would recommend the following changes to the TSSAA in the next meet to correct this if the rule stays intact.

1) Asterisks should be put to these old records that cannot be obtained with the new rule. TSSAA should create new records starting in 2007 AD for football.

2) From this time herefore, the continuous clock rule will be dubbed as the SCOTT SMITH RULE.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to do some research on the new clock rule. What does it affect and how did it come about. I went back through the championship games because of available records online from the TSSAA. I had to go back to 2001 playoff between Ezell-Harding & Cloudland. Final score was Ezell-Harding 63-26 over Cloudland. What would have been the impact in this game if the continuous clock run had been in place in prior to the 2001 football season?

Ezell-Harding went up 50-12 on interception return for touchdown by Antoine Owens with 6.06 left in the third. After eight rushes and two first downs, Cloudland kicks the ball back to Ezell Harding. After one incomplete pass, J.P. Shelly completed 91 yd pass to Erik Davis with 1:04 left in the 3rd period to go up 57-12. Cloudland scores touchdown with 10:31 left in the fourth quarter - 57-18. Ezell-Harding J.P. Shelly completes another touchdown for 17 yard pass with 7:41 left in the fourth quarter to go up 63-18. Cloudland scores on running touchdown with 5:26 left in the game for the final score of 63-26.

With the new mandated continuous clock when one team gets a 35-point advantage over its opponent in the second half, would the outcome been different and how?

I guessing but the final score would have been either 57-18 or 63-18. I was thinking this is no big deal until I look at some statistics and records.

TSSAA Championship Records Broken:

1) Longest Touchdown Pass: 91 Yards, J.P. Shelly to Erik Davis, Ezell-Harding. Previous record 86 Yards Anthony Hall to Derrick Woods, Melrose v. Kingston, 1998

Would this record been accomplished with continuous clock. Probably

2) Total Yards (one team): 603, Ezell-Harding. Previous record 546, Trousdale County v. University School of Jackson, 1998

3) Total Yards (both teams): 1008; Ezell-Harding (603) v. Cloudland (405). Previous record 887, University School of Jackson (495) v. Christ Presbyterian (392), 2000

Would this record been accomplished with continuous clock. Toss-up

TSSAA Championship Records Tied:

1) Most Points in a Game (one team): Ezell-Harding 63. Tied record set by Trousdale County v. University School of Jackson in 1998

2) Most Touchdowns in a Game (one team): Ezell-Harding 9. Tied record set by Trousdale County v. University School of Jackson in 1998

3) Most Touchdown passes (individual): J.P. Shelly, 4. Tied record set by David Bibee, Tennessee High v. Baylor in 1972 & Cedric Wilson, Melrose v. Tyner in 1996

Looking back at the regular season leading up to this game, other state records were broken by Ezell Harding.

Ezell Harding Christian School 2001 Schedule

Week Opponent Result

8-17 Loretto W 76-21

8-24 at Upperman W 42-0

8-31 CPA W 26-20

9-7 Open

9-14 DCA W 48-14

9-21 at Boyd Buchanan W 42-14

9-28 at Nashville Christian W 52-0

10-5 at Lighthouse W 46-0

10-12 Jo Byrns W 21-14

10-19 Clarksville Academy W 81-0

10-26 at FRA W 41-7

11-2 Moore Co. W 55-20

11-9 Cascade W 42-7

11-16 Collinwood W 42-21

11-23 USJ W 28-21

TSSAA STATE RECORD FOR FOOTBALL

Most Touchdown Passes in a Game - Individual

10 J.P. Shelly Ezell Harding vs. Loretto August 18, 2001

Most Touchdown Passes in a Season - Individual

48 J.P. Shelly Ezell Harding 2001

38 Kenton Evans Westwood 1995

Most Touchdowns in a Season (Rushing + Passing) - Individual

52 J.P. Shelly Ezell Harding 2001

46 Kenton Evans Westwood 1995

Total Offense in a Season (Includes Rushing & Passing Yardage Only) - Individual

3894 J.P. Shelly Ezell Harding 2001

3729 Kenton Evans Westwood 1994

Most Extra Points Kicking in a Season - Team

94 Ezell Harding 2001

76 Maryville 2004

Most Extra Points Kicking in a Season - Individual

92 Jacob Michael Burney Ezell Harding 2001

92 Jared White Trousdale County 2005

72 Mike Jackson South Pittsburg 1998

Will these records be broken by the new continuous clock rule? Not a chance!

Summary:

Due to the new continuous clock rule, TSSAA State Records for Football like these and others will not likely be broken. The TSSAA should think about consequences such as this. I would recommend the following changes to the TSSAA in the next meet to correct this if the rule stays intact.

1) Asterisks should be put to these old records that cannot be obtained with the new rule. TSSAA should create new records starting in 2007 AD for football.

2) From this time herefore, the continuous clock rule will be dubbed as the SCOTT SMITH RULE.

I have no problem with the asterisks. I would note here that some might think that Ezell Harding team was some sort of powerhouse. Look, instead, at that absurd schedule. It is a maxim of football that you can schedule more wins than you can ever practice for. When you look at the individual records set, notice that the record holders hardly distinguished themselves in the game of football beyond high school.

I have no strong feelings about the new mercy rule. I know that every player who goes on the field during a game has an ethical commitment to do his best--with his assignment. Coaches can control the playcalling and the strategy. I THINK IT'S A SHAME THAT THERE NEEDS TO BE SUCH A RULE. MOST COACHES TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM, INFORMALLY.

INCIDENTALLY, THERE ARE A FEW SCHOOLS IN OUR AREA WHO ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE THIS RULE INTO CONSIDERATION IN SCHEDULING. QUITE A DISASTER IF THE HOMECOMING GAME ENDED BEFORE HALFTIME, BEFORE THE CROWNINGS AND OTHER FESTIVITIES !!

Thats rediculous. Any coach with a 35 point lead in the fourth quarter will still play the reserves. They just wont have as much time to pile it on.

I see this as a contradictory statement: “play the reserves” while “pile it on”

How is “playing the reserves” creates the atmosphere of “piling it on”?

I would think parents/family/friends of reserve players as well as the reserve player would cherish the playing time, winning or losing. At smaller schools, the reserved depth of players may be very limited which may be your reasoning. At the larger schools, it may run three-four deep where playing time is cherished.

Maybe the rule should have passed for the Division 1, Class 1 & 2 as well as Division II. I understand CantStopTheChop thinking but as related to the school classification. This hurts the larger schools in the upper classification.

If a study was done on blow outs, you may find this is a problem only in the lower classification of Division I and Division II. The Ezell-Harding 2001 year is a classic example.

I see this as a contradictory statement: “play the reserves” while “pile it on”

How is “playing the reserves” creates the atmosphere of “piling it on”?

I would think parents/family/friends of reserve players as well as the reserve player would cherish the playing time, winning or losing. At smaller schools, the reserved depth of players may be very limited which may be your reasoning. At the larger schools, it may run three-four deep where playing time is cherished.

Maybe the rule should have passed for the Division 1, Class 1 & 2 as well as Division II. I understand CantStopTheChop thinking but as related to the school classification. This hurts the larger schools in the upper classification.

If a study was done on blow outs, you may find this is a problem only in the lower classification of Division I and Division II. The Ezell-Harding 2001 year is a classic example.

You may want to look at some of the scores put up for the 2000-on seasons by R'dale vs schools like Siegel and Blackman. I 'think' for a three year stretch it was like 240-0 vs Siegel. I know one was like 70-0. Thing is for a couple of those years R'dale was NOT trying to pile it on and played not only the second string but the third and fourth as well.

You may want to look at some of the scores put up for the 2000-on seasons by R'dale vs schools like Siegel and Blackman. I 'think' for a three year stretch it was like 240-0 vs Siegel. I know one was like 70-0. Thing is for a couple of those years R'dale was NOT trying to pile it on and played not only the second string but the third and fourth as well.

Good point but those schools were new programs trying to get established. It is tough trying to establish a program from the ground up and it can take a while. If this rule was place then, what do you think the difference in the outcome as well as getting the third and fourth teamers to playing time? Do you think Siegel and Blackman would want the game shorten? Would they prefer to stick it out and learn to get better against the competition?

Before we rant against the new rule further, I am curious about the results in states that have the same rule (and many do). I would like to know, for those games when the rule is invoked, how many offensive plays compared to games where it's not invoked. That's the measure of the true impact of the rule, at least IMHO.

I know that this is a touchy subject with all. One of the things, that we used to do to help hold the score down was instead of calling simple plays for the 3rd and 4th teamers to run we called the most complicated things we had, thinking they could execute the base stuff and not the more complicated stuff. This also gave us something for them to get fussed at during film. I've been on both ends of this problem, and it is not enjoyable on either end. The problem lies in which is more embarrassing looking in the paper the next morning and seeing you lost 76-0 or having your opponent take a knee in the third quarter in front of your home fans. Personally, as long as it not the starters in the game, I think I would rather have the first if I had to choose. I do however think it the rule takes away from the integrity of the game. I do think that coaches need to do a better job controlling this.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this is a touchy subject with all. One of the things, that we used to do to help hold the score down was instead of calling simple plays for the 3rd and 4th teamers to run we called the most complicated things we had, thinking they could execute the base stuff and not the more complicated stuff. This also gave us something for them to get fussed at during film. I've been on both ends of this problem, and it is not enjoyable on either end. The problem lies in which is more embarrassing looking in the paper the next morning and seeing you lost 76-0 or having your opponent take a knee in the third quarter in front of your home fans. Personally, as long as it not the starters in the game, I think I would rather have the first if I had to choose. I do however think it the rule takes away from the integrity of the game. I do think that coaches need to do a better job controlling this.

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

you are right, do not blame TSSAA, at least not this time, the coaches had this coming for along time in alot of sports. Players, fans, and coaches are tired of the bigger schools, more kids, bigger payrolls, bigger facilities, and recruiting coaches from taking advantage of schools that are required to play these teams because of district committments. Blame yourselves not TSSAA!!!!!!!