Mercy Rule

thug dadi

The mercy rule will shorten the time the 2nd and 3rd teamers get to play. It saying to the opposing team...GIVE UP. I like to see opposing team try to get a least one score at the end of the game when the subs are playing. It takes some of the hurt out of a defeat. With the time running, expect to see more goose eggs in the scoring box this year.

It will be harder to break any records.

Not saying coaches letting the star athlete stay in to run up the score, but an example is the Team record for points in a season, alot of the teams on that list had their JV still scoring on people in the second half of rent-a-win games.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not neccessarily in favor of it but I have looked around and it's still a better rule than some states have. In some states their mercy rule is if team A is beating team B by so many points in the second half then the game STOPS. No letting the second and third teamers play. No experience for the back-ups. The game just ends. In Florida they have the option of losing the head coach (I guess for the rest of the game). And in some other states they have a rule in place that if you win by X points then your head coach can be suspended. I really hope that this is not one of those rules though that is put in place to "keep from hurting someone's feelings."

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/04/2006_footb...mercy_rule.aspx

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/arti...h_school_routs/

I'm not neccessarily in favor of it but I have looked around and it's still a better rule than some states have. In some states their mercy rule is if team A is beating team B by so many points in the second half then the game STOPS. No letting the second and third teamers play. No experience for the back-ups. The game just ends. In Florida they have the option of losing the head coach (I guess for the rest of the game). And in some other states they have a rule in place that if you win by X points then your head coach can be suspended. I really hope that this is not one of those rules though that is put in place to "keep from hurting someone's feelings."

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2006/04/2006_footb...mercy_rule.aspx

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/arti...h_school_routs/

My main question is why ANY state should have a 'mercy rule'? Kids have to face facts and that is there is a winner and a loser in anything in life. Without learning that in something as harmless as sports what will they do when the really tough decisons hit them square in the face?

High School football is not pee wee league T-ball with girls and boys playing together with NO score being kept.

I can understand that we are living in a politically correct world, but unfortunately not everyone is PC and plays by those rules. If they did the problem in Iraq would be over.

I saw this article on the CoachT homepage.

http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/.../706190316/1006

That is probably the worst, most selfish article i have ever seen. Who cares about the reporters its not about them its about the players and coaches and fans. Just wondering, how are the TSSAA officals selected and how often are they replaced??

I saw this article on the CoachT homepage.

http://dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/.../706190316/1006

That is probably the worst, most selfish article i have ever seen. Who cares about the reporters its not about them its about the players and coaches and fans. Just wondering, how are the TSSAA officals selected and how often are they replaced??

I was thinking the same thing about the reporter being "Self-Centered" before I hit this thread. Start times for football games at 7:30 is needed due to travel of teams, band, and fans. The write-ups on high school sports are very limited to say the least in the newspaper. I don't see them complaining about the college or pro sports games going to 10 or 11 O'Clock at night.

I was thinking the same thing about the reporter being "Self-Centered" before I hit this thread. Start times for football games at 7:30 is needed due to travel of teams, band, and fans. The write-ups on high school sports are very limited to say the least in the newspaper. I don't see them complaining about the college or pro sports games going to 10 or 11 O'Clock at night.

I can honestly state I don't think I have read one positive comment about the DNJ in my almost 3 years on the boards. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I think everyone makes valid points but the truth of the matter is that there are some coaches when they were up by 50 in the fourth quarter still had their starters in their and were throwing the ball deep. Say what you want about being PC or having kids learning how to lose but that is classless. 2nd and 3rd and 4th teamers can still get their reps and you can still throw the ball in a blowout but you don't throw bombs.

The rule was put in because when you have kids that are getting hammered 70-0 and they get frustrated and want to start fighting instead of playing football, maybe it stops some of that before it happens. Maybe. I am not going to say that it will but it might.

I can honestly state I don't think I have read one positive comment about the DNJ in my almost 3 years on the boards. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

About the same time The Tennessean took it over and having to make deadlines became important as they have to be sent to Nashville to be printed instead of Murfreesboro. Before it sold it was a decent local paper that did alot to cover prep sports.

It DOES make a good lining for bird cages though! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The arguement that kids getting hammered 70-0 don't hold water because if they are getting hammered that bad they are not about to be stupid enough to fight. If they are then their coach has the bigger problem of not being able to control his team.

A mercy rule is fine in AAU, YBOA, rec leagues and youth sports, but has no place in high school sports.

I don't even like mercy rules at the lower levels. Making the game shorter takes away potential playing time from the backups. I hate it when organizations get into legislating morality and ethics. Besides, no place does it say it is the job of the coach to stop his team from scoring, it is the job of the other coach to stop it.