Ronnie Carter Interview

wbfg965espn

Thanks for all the e-mails and calls. For those not able to listen or not in the West Tenn area, here is an

overview of our conversation.

6/19/07 Overview of Ronnie Carter Interview on 96.5 ESPN’s “The Bottom Line” with Chris Harris in West Tennessee

On new mercy rule:

-RC: Millington High School proposed this to us and it was intended to just be for basketball but the board decided to install a mercy rule in football as well. Coach’s could make the decision to do this in the past but we wanted to make it clear-cut. This will begin being enforced this year.

On new basketball state tournament format:

-RC: Due to the attendance dropping the past few years in the basketball tournaments, the board listened decided to spice things up and make the format more interesting by going back to the Sunday draw. We like how in football during the Mr. Football awards it gives us an opportunity to put our product on display. This gives us the opportunity to have media cover this event and make it special for the teams that will be participating.

Nothing really led to this happening; we just wanted to do something to create suspense before the tournament. Hopefully this will spark more interest and increase attendance.

We understand that it would be tough for those teams playing the night before in a sectional game but think it is well worth the effort.

Also, we are looking at the format of the game schedule. One proposal that is a leading candidate would be to play a single A game followed by AA then AAA during each session. For instance, playing the upper portion of the brackets on Wednesday then the lower part on Thursday.

Not because I am on a West Tennessee station to say this but class A and AA in West Tennessee has carried the attendance the last few years. AAA girls has been really disappointing for example.

If we decide to do this it would be installed for the 2007-2008 year.

We are just looking to something to excite fans and give the attendance a boost somehow.

(Attendance was mentioned quite often)

On 50/50 rule:

-RC: This is a rule that is keeping sports from taking over a kids life. Recently, fall leagues and AAU leagues have been necessary for high school athletes. For instance, in basketball some players ended up playing an NBA length schedule. We want student athletes to be able to have a life outside of sports. This is to create some balance in young peoples lives.

I don’t for see this changing, but we are always open to ideas and input. The fall league/AAU rule about 3 players playing would only be eligible is working and have not had a lot of complaints from coaches or players.

On Spring Fling Tickets:

-RC: This is something I understand we need to look at. We have had a lot of complaints regarding this issue. You know, it would be great to offer a season pass to families, or a family pass to buy to cover the entire tournament. This is something we will discuss for sure. We have tried to schedule so teams would get a break on paying.

We also would like to think about offering a Spring Fling pass that would cover every sport or venue.

A child being charged has come up a lot. We had a policy called “Babes in Arms” meaning if the child could be held by parents they could get in free. We had a lot of parents taking advantage of this by holding 6 and 7 year old kids. Something really had to be done. We asked Vanderbilt about their policy regarding this and they told us that if you were breathing you had to buy a ticket. Is it fair, I think it that it is. You have to draw a line somewhere. I’m sure there are people who get in free that probably should pay and vice versa. We want to make this a family friendly event and will look to do anything possible to make it that way.

On baseball format:

-RC: We like having the 8 teams in the tournament. Teams really just have to play one extra game in the whole scheme of things. Would it be much easier on us? Sure. But this gives more teams a chance to participate in some great facilities but we are always open to change. Coach’s like this format as well.

On Possible new Tennessee Football All Star Game:

-Yes, this rumor is somewhat true. This is something that is organized by the Tennessee Coach’s Association. It has been talked about but there has not been a formal proposal as of yet. But we expect to hear a proposal concerning this soon and would look into it thoroughly. The plan that I have heard discussed is to either play the game a week after the season ends in December or play it before the Class A state championship game on Friday. Nothing is official on this and I don’t know if it’s a scoop or not but this is in its early stages of discussion. It is a novel idea though.

(This would be an East vs. West format)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Attendance was mentioned quite often)

Attendance = Money

As usual it all boils down to all being about the money and not the student athletes and their families.....

We live in a world that has things all mixed up. For instance the world will tell you that money makes a man... I always thought that man made the money.

We have also been taught that that if something is said long enough and loud enough it must be true.

I have lived long enough to learn that the majority is not always right. They may carry the final decision(enough to turn a majority rules vote) in the end but they are not always right!

Unfortunately once that decision is made we then revert back to the archaic ways of traditionalism..."we've always done it that way" and then it becomes even more engrained in the majority (who carry the vote) that it must be the right way because we've always done it that way!

About the comment "if it breaths charge it" I've been around a long time and have found that Kids 10 and under will never be seen sitting in the stands watching a baseball game. They play catch over behind the stands or in a nearby open field. They will be the very ones retreiving the foul balls and "SAVING" the school money on lost baseballs, and yet the schools charge them a gate fee so they can do that? (some do give out penny candy to entice them to return the $3.00 balls.)

We live in a mixed up dollar hungry world folks...

Baseball camps.... most parents think they are taking their son to a place where the college coaches and a couple local MLB scouts that drop by during the week will see their kids and want to sign them in a few years....holding my sides and laughing my head off.....these summer camps are designed for the sole purpose to get more money in the pockets of underpaid assistant coaches and for NO OTHER PURPOSE.

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY

It all revolves around the almighty GREENBACK.

I have yet to meet a single umpire who would call a game for free, no matter how much they claim to love the kids, and the sport..... Money Folks......

Oh, I mean attendance.... or wait...what I really meant to say was "breathing". I get confused...... They do it all for our kids...that's what it's really all about....just ask them and they will tell you "it's all for the kids!"

RC thinks its fair to charge a 3 year old kid 7 bucks to get into a game that he doesnt care about and isnt going to watch.. ha. what a joke. this whole thing is about money. Charging for parking? this isnt college baseball or the pros. paying to park and paying seven bucks to watch any high school event is a JOKE and a SCAM.

and can we possible get the new mercy rule changed to the Alcoa Rule?

JMO, but $7.00 is not too much to attend a state tournament game as it cost more than $7.00 to attend a movie in any of the major cities. To charge any child under the age of 10 is stretching things and it's the small kids that will spend $20.00 @ the concession stand. Hey, if parents lie and say that the child is 9 and they are 12 then it's on the parents and we know what type of morals they are teaching their kids.

Attendance = Money

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY

It all revolves around the almighty GREENBACK.

I have yet to meet a single umpire who would call a game for free, no matter how much they claim to love the kids, and the sport..... Money Folks......

I don't want to be contradictory, but our association calls 2-3 WEEKS of preseason scrimmages for FREE every year. Umpires, absolutely, do not do it for the money. You're wrong here, completely wrong. Period.

If parents wouldn't lie about the kids' ages or grade in school there would not be a problem. You could set it as 10 or 12 or 6th grade and beyond, etc. The gatekeepers don't want to argue with a parent about the age of the child even if the parent is obviously lying. The babes in arms rule was used at one time, as Ronnie Carter said, until parents started carrying 7-year-olds through the gates. Therefore, everyone pays is the easiest way.

If parents wouldn't lie about the kids' ages or grade in school there would not be a problem. You could set it as 10 or 12 or 6th grade and beyond, etc. The gatekeepers don't want to argue with a parent about the age of the child even if the parent is obviously lying. The babes in arms rule was used at one time, as Ronnie Carter said, until parents started carrying 7-year-olds through the gates. Therefore, everyone pays is the easiest way.

I think that the problem, as some see it, is that "easiest" could be replaced with "greediest."

With the fractured relationship with the TSSAA and much of the public, I think there is a more prudent path for the TSSAA to take.

The easiest way is normally not the best way and in this case it surely isnt. Just look at person, if they dont look to be out of school they shouldnt pay adult price. Very simple. On the concession issue. When price are absolutely off the chart......2.50 for a bottle of water, it entices people to bring their own snacks in. This is the truth. I was at the ball game the first night. Bartlett vs Franklin......I gave both my sons 10 dollars apiece and said try to make this last thru the game. My first son came up to me with a hamburger and coke and said I think I am in trouble. I said why. He said these two items cost him 8.00........I might sound like a tight wad but I dont think this is sane. Does Mr. Carter pay these prices? I bet not

QUOTE(Frayser1974 @ Jun 22 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826478069[/snapback]The easiest way is normally not the best way and in this case it surely isnt. Just look at person, if they dont look to be out of school they shouldnt pay adult price. Very simple. On the concession issue. When price are absolutely off the chart......2.50 for a bottle of water, it entices people to bring their own snacks in. This is the truth. I was at the ball game the first night. Bartlett vs Franklin......I gave both my sons 10 dollars apiece and said try to make this last thru the game. My first son came up to me with a hamburger and coke and said I think I am in trouble. I said why. He said these two items cost him 8.00........I might sound like a tight wad but I dont think this is sane. Does Mr. Carter pay these prices? I bet not

I agree. I think those costs are extreme. I'm no tsure who sets the prices, the venue or the TSSAA, but they are too high.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 22 2007 - 09:28 AM) 826478068[/snapback]I think that the problem, as some see it, is that "easiest" could be replaced with "greediest."

With the fractured relationship with the TSSAA and much of the public, I think there is a more prudent path for the TSSAA to take.

Your TSSAA BOC members and legislative council member set the ticket prices and procedures. Contact your members and let them know how you feel..

Coacht, i will respectfully disagree with this statement. Everyone pays is not the easiest way. The easiest way is to set a price that is reasonable for kids and young adults and not make everyone make up the difference for the 2 or 3 that might lie about a kids age. That statement more leans toward "We'll go ahead and make an extra $200 or 300 instead of losing $25 at the gate". That shows me that the T$$AA is even more money hungry because they are scared they might lose out on a few coming through the gate. I don't think $7 is too high at all to watch any game at the state tournament level, and don't really mind to pay to park, but for anyone to suggest that charging a 5 year old to get into a high school baseball game is fair, imo, that is totally ludicrous.