5A vs. DII. Whos Stronger?

I saw the 4a and 5a games last year and there was no doubt the Maryville was the best team and i would say in the past that the best 3 or even 4 teams in the state have been 4a. Maybe 5a's numbers win out in the end but the cream of 4a would beat the cream of 5a.

agreed on your first point.

disagree with your thinking that the best 3 or 4 teams in the state have been 4a....im guessing you forgot about the Super 7 schools.

agreed that the top 4a teams would likely come out on top of most of the top 5a schools in a given year.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 5 DII teams would beat the top five DI teams(be it from 5A to 2A)

Middle Tennessee has the best teams throughout though. Hands down.

utfootball08.

Seems I remember that McCallie & Brentwood Acad. traded wins last year. McCallie won Round 1, and Brentwood, the more important Round 2. It would be fair to suggest that these two teams are "Top 5" DII teams, would it not? Yes, it would. Now, I also seem to remember that one of these "Top 5" DII teams lost to a lowly DI, 2A team. Alcoa, I believe it was, defeated McCallie 24-21.

Now as far as Middle TN, best football, hands down, etc. It would seem that Alcoa, Fulton, Maryville, and Knox Webb all won championships last year. Last time I checked, those are not Middle TN schools.

Now I have not yet run through all the schedules; however, off the top of my head, another of these Top 5 D II teams, Baylor will play a little 3A team, Knox Catholic in 07. Perhaps your forcasting skills for 07 will supercede your researching talents.

ruse?

In 05 an average(still really good though) BA team beat the 5A state champs in Ravenwood. And I think that same year a 3-7 FRHS team beat Franklin. Just two games but they really stuck out to me. So did McCallie beating Riverdale last year.

True, but BA beat Ravenwood early in the year (I think it was week 0 as a matter of fact) in a strange game interupted by a storm. I don't think BA would have fared as well later in the season as Ravenwood continued to get stronger and BA began to struggle.

utfootball08.

Seems I remember that McCallie & Brentwood Acad. traded wins last year. McCallie won Round 1, and Brentwood, the more important Round 2. It would be fair to suggest that these two teams are "Top 5" DII teams, would it not? Yes, it would. Now, I also seem to remember that one of these "Top 5" DII teams lost to a lowly DI, 2A team. Alcoa, I believe it was, defeated McCallie 24-21.

Now as far as Middle TN, best football, hands down, etc. It would seem that Alcoa, Fulton, Maryville, and Knox Webb all won championships last year. Last time I checked, those are not Middle TN schools.

Now I have not yet run through all the schedules; however, off the top of my head, another of these Top 5 D II teams, Baylor will play a little 3A team, Knox Catholic in 07. Perhaps your forcasting skills for 07 will supercede your researching talents.

ruse?

True but lets look at the teams from middle tennessee; BA, Ravenwood,Franklin,Brentwood,Gallitan, Hillsboro,MBA,Riverdale,Goodpasture,Smyrna,Lipscomb,and pearl. and all those teams you listed other than Knox webb beat a middle Tn. team in the championship game. And even if you elimenlate those teams look how deep Middle Tn is. Oh and Knox webb lost to a mediocre Middle Tn team PJPII in the regular season.

True but lets look at the teams from middle tennessee; BA, Ravenwood,Franklin,Brentwood,Gallitan, Hillsboro,MBA,Riverdale,Goodpasture,Smyrna,Lipscomb,and pearl. and all those teams you listed other than Knox webb beat a middle Tn. team in the championship game. And even if you elimenlate those teams look how deep Middle Tn is. Oh and Knox webb lost to a mediocre Middle Tn team PJPII in the regular season.

hilltopper.

IMO, your post should have had a period after "True", and that would have summed it up pretty well. You were also correct in mentioning that all the teams that I wrote of (Alcoa, Fulton, Maryville) beat Middle TN teams. Thanks, and I appreciate you validating the point. All sarcasm aside though, they are all good teams when they get that far, and all the teams you mentioned will be in the hunt this yr. These things/arguments go in cycles, and often circles. Have a great 4th.

ruse?

Funny how Webb lost to but then beat PJP2 the "ok" middle TN team,that beat MBA one of your supposed strong teams from a year ago. Not to mention PJP2 played Goodpasture close and actually beat them a year ago.

Which classification is stronger 5A or DII. (Yes i know DII dosent have many teams but try to ignore that fact and focus on talent).

To me this is like comparing apples and oranges. Both get their athletes differently and that's a fact. I am not slamming the DII schools for it, but it is a fact. They have no geographical boundries to contend with and they can pull kids in from a larger area.

6 and 3 in that division isint very good.

First off they were 6-2 and avenged 1 of thoes losses..the other loss was not to a good team but they had their best player out who was the bigest reason they were good, blake beeler the QB who is now going to playing football at Wofford.

RollRedRoll,

You are one of ther reasons that it is so fun to post here. That was spot-on analysis from the jump.

I'm not a big fan of threads like these, as they generally turn into one big "peeing" match where emotions and biases tend to get in the way of understanding underlying data that better supports or refutes a certain opinion. Personally, I'd rather see much more appreciation of the programs amongst the different classifications and their accomplishments within their own classes, but in absence of that, actual results/numbers do make pretty compelling arguments.

Thanks for the comment.