Should football players drink protein shakes?

HOGEYE75

i caint really agree with you when u say people's diets consisting of unhealthy food wont hurt them because i know A LOT of young people that eat like that and play ball that aint really in that good of shape

I did not mean everyone; but when I was playing football in HS my activity level was through the roof. So I could pretty much eat as much of whatever I wanted; I should have said that as long as you have a high activity you can eat anything and not worry about it. Of course there are those young guys who have weight probs and have to change their diet; this is specifically in the off-season.....especially if they dont play any other sport.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To gain weight (muscle) here is what I have heard recommend by some top trainers when you are in a workout program. Eat 6-8 smaller balanced meals each day with lots of veggies, fruit, protein and good carbs and keep it low in fats. 1-2 of those meals can be a protein shake using Whey (from milk), Soy (from soybeans), Albumen (from egg), and Casein (from milk) proteins. Whey is the most common but a blend with all the different proteins is better. They all act at different rates and affect different parts of the muscle building process. To make the shakes taste better and add even more calories put it in a blender with frozen yogurt and fresh fruit. Be sure to check what is in a protein suppliment to make sure it is all natural

Suppliments containing Creatine (also occurs natually in the body) are also common. Studies show it is effective in building muscles but long term studies on kids younger than 18 have not been done so it is best to stay away from creatine and creatine containing suppliments. It is also listed as banned substance by the NCAA

Do a search on the internet...all's kinds of different opinions on this subject

So if you didn't want to pay those inflated ego prices. One could use powdered milk, powdered egg, and cream cheese, with flavoring in a shake. Then be FDA safe. Essentially that's all it could be.

I would rather know it is inspected before I partake in something someone mixed in the basement or old chemical factory. Has anyone been where they make this stuff that's not inspected? Would you eat in a restaurant that has poor inspection ratings? Just something to ponder. I personally like the feeling that it at least should have been inspected. Even then stuff slips through. Remember the spinach?

THINK! A lot of our fittest kids and athletes that take it could be harmed it just one batch was tainted. Who says they wash their hands, wear hair nets, and properly clean. Not to mention rats and roaches. Can happen... Chances are higher than you may think. I once worked and owned a pest control company. I could share stories that would shake your secure feelings on what you eat. Even when it is supposed to be inspected. Be surprised what a few dollars will do in the right pockets. They just jack the price to the consumer to pay for it.

Welcome to the real world. I suggest mixing your own safest products to take. Do the research. This method is also online. Better safe than sorry.

My son bought this like many kids without my permission. He heard it was good for him. He didn't read the label because a trusted friend told him it worked great. Also it was safe. I found it and took it away. I wanted to share something on the label he didn't read. I wont name the product to avoid being sued. It states under WARNING. It reads you should seek the advise of a doctor if you are unaware of your current health conditions. List a bunch. Then speaks of certain medications you may be taking. Then states is only intended to be consumed by healthy adults.18-50. Keep out of the reach of children and pets. I ask my son if he read the lable after a heated argument about how safe it was. He said no. He trusted his friend.

What the bottom line is, its not not intended to be consumed by kids under 18. Maybe they should regulate it like Tobacco products so kids know it is not exactly safe. Also kids should read the label and not trust a friends advice. Also under warning it states not to use if you are prone to dehydration and exposed to excessive heat. That about covers football. So break out a magnifier and read the warnings on the labels of something your kids are taking.

Another question comes to mind. Almost every year a kid drops dead on the field from heat exhaustion. Were they taking these supplements? I bet it is not even considered in an investigation.

So now you be the judge if your kid below the age of 18 needs to be taking something that could possibly kill him to help him try to gain muscle the easy way.

If they are under the age of 18 it is clearly by law your decision and you will be accountable for it. Maybe this will sum up the question the young man asked.

So if you didn't want to pay those inflated ego prices. One could use powdered milk, powdered egg, and cream cheese, with flavoring in a shake. Then be FDA safe. Essentially that's all it could be.

I would rather know it is inspected before I partake in something someone mixed in the basement or old chemical factory. Has anyone been where they make this stuff that's not inspected? Would you eat in a restaurant that has poor inspection ratings? Just something to ponder. I personally like the feeling that it at least should have been inspected. Even then stuff slips through. Remember the spinach?

THINK! A lot of our fittest kids and athletes that take it could be harmed it just one batch was tainted. Who says they wash their hands, wear hair nets, and properly clean. Not to mention rats and roaches. Can happen... Chances are higher than you may think. I once worked and owned a pest control company. I could share stories that would shake your secure feelings on what you eat. Even when it is supposed to be inspected. Be surprised what a few dollars will do in the right pockets. They just jack the price to the consumer to pay for it.

Welcome to the real world. I suggest mixing your own safest products to take. Do the research. This method is also online. Better safe than sorry.

Way too much fat in your mixture. Go in GNC (or some other store like it) and check out their product. Not exactly a fly-by-night operation Sports and nutrition suppliments are a big business. Most of the folks who buy from these type stores are health nuts.

My son bought this like many kids without my permission. He heard it was good for him. He didn't read the label because a trusted friend told him it worked great. Also it was safe. I found it and took it away. I wanted to share something on the label he didn't read. I wont name the product to avoid being sued. It states under WARNING. It reads you should seek the advise of a doctor if you are unaware of your current health conditions. List a bunch. Then speaks of certain medications you may be taking. Then states is only intended to be consumed by healthy adults.18-50. Keep out of the reach of children and pets. I ask my son if he read the lable after a heated argument about how safe it was. He said no. He trusted his friend.

What the bottom line is, its not not intended to be consumed by kids under 18. Maybe they should regulate it like Tobacco products so kids know it is not exactly safe. Also kids should read the label and not trust a friends advice. Also under warning it states not to use if you are prone to dehydration and exposed to excessive heat. That about covers football. So break out a magnifier and read the warnings on the labels of something your kids are taking.

Another question comes to mind. Almost every year a kid drops dead on the field from heat exhaustion. Were they taking these supplements? I bet it is not even considered in an investigation.

So now you be the judge if your kid below the age of 18 needs to be taking something that could possibly kill him to help him try to gain muscle the easy way.

If they are under the age of 18 it is clearly by law your decision and you will be accountable for it. Maybe this will sum up the question the young man asked.

I don't know much about it, but according to our coach, the creatine causes dehydration. He said the whey protein was the only thing he would recommend. He also told my son the best thing he could do to put on weight is to eat a peanut butter sandwich and drink a glass of milk right before he goes to bed.

Sounds like what he got had creatine or some of the banned substances in it. Those are definately not good for teens to be using

A friend told him it was OK. Typical. That's why it is important to do research and help the kids make informed decisions. There are some suppliments that can cause big problems, even kill you. Those are all against the law but just like steriods can be obtained. There is tons of info, just have to do the leg work.

Actually they do an autopsy, including toxicology, when kids are involved in sports and die.

Recently several people were killed by tainted spinich. Then it was tainted peanut butter. Beef and chicken are recalled all the time. Thing is they are all regulated. Having our government involved in something is not a sure sign that something is safe. Bottom line is that an informed decision is better than just assuming that it is all bad.

I don't know much about it, but according to our coach, the creatine causes dehydration. He said the whey protein was the only thing he would recommend. He also told my son the best thing he could do to put on weight is to eat a peanut butter sandwich and drink a glass of milk right before he goes to bed.

Sounds like a good approach. The whey is nothing the protein from milk without all the fat

Way too much fat in your mixture. Go in GNC (or some other store like it) and check out their product. Not exactly a fly-by-night operation Sports and nutrition suppliments are a big business. Most of the folks who buy from these type stores are health nuts.

I didn't really expect to be called out on the processing of herbs and such not regulated. But here gos. I have been in third world countries where most herbs come from. These health nuts as you call them use them. I have witnessed the drying process and the waters source used to clean certain things that required washing. I guess you would say after the processing I seen there I am not much of a health nut. You would have had to have been there. That's all I will say on this. I think you can read between the lines. It ain't pretty. On another note. Because a pretty mall store is selling something in pretty packages for more money don't mean diddly. They buy it from the same source as the fly by nites do. It all comes from the same place. After all it wont grow here in the quantity being sold. Make sense? Happy health nutting.

sure why couldnt they?? its the same things you are getting from meals

Ya think? Read the label warnings. Not all I am sure but there is a bunch that do contain things that can kill you. Which have a lot more advertising. You know kids they want the best. Its an easy way to obtain what they want. Even if it kills them.

WOW!!! Zone, will you come back and be our team nutritionist? I thought you were a pretty sharp guy, but this has elevated my already good opinion of you. My son does the Whey protein. I was told by a trainer that anything over about 30 grams of protein at a time was worthless, that the body could not digest more than that at a time. He said you can pay a lot more for more grams of protein per drink, but you were just throwing away money. The past couple of years, we have used the 1850 calorie drinks and took half the dose in the morning and the other half at dinner. This will help the players maintain their weight during the season. I was told that anytime someone lost 3% of their body weight (that was in shape already) that they lost strength as well.Hope your son is healthy and doing well.Great post!!!

Hey Buc! Thanks . Getting my own son to eat right is about all that I can handle. He is a very finicky eater so I give him extra protein (shakes and bars) along with vitamins. The trainer is correct, too much of a good thing is either wasted or can be harmful. The good protein shakes have a good balance of different proteins and amino acids (building block of proteins). The whey is the best one to take (quickly digested and ready for use) but adding longer acting proteins like Albumen (from egg) and Casein (from milk) proteins balances out the mix. Of course a couple of eggs and a glass or two of milk can do it too. The shakes just put it in a form the is more readily absorbed by the body and easier to use. If you are not getting enough protein and calories in your diet your body will take the protein it needs from your muscles during hard workouts.