McNine's Fearless predictions for Nashville area 5A regions

McNine4MVP

Region 4:

Riverdale

Smyrna

La Vergne

Wilson Central

This is just a hunch here, but I think that this Region is the toughest to call. Blackman, Siegel, and Oakland could all make a claim to this spot, but something tells me that the Wes Elrod re-acquisition will push Dub-C back in the hunt. If they would have had any offense at all last year, they would have made the playoffs. Only Riverdale played Smyrna's offense any better, including Ravenwood and Ooltewah. I think La Vergne will continue their quest to be relevant contenders in this region. Chris Gray is a big time player when he wants to be and I think he knows that he needs a great year to get the collegiate offers he wants. I think Mike Crocker can get it done. A-Rod was a great player, but he bailed out of the pocket at times where Gray and company were breaking open. Crocker will play more within the system which could mean big numbers for Gray. But Wolverines, could you get a decent practice facility or stadium plumbing...............I swear you all are the redheaded stepchildren of Rutherford County. I'm taking Riverdale over Smyrna just because I think everybody is glossing over the loss of Josh Crouch for Smyrna. As good as Sonny, Rod, and J-Day are, Crouch was always the guy making the big play. The strip against Ooltewah, the TD against Riverdale, that team never gets there without him. I just think Riverdale is going to be out for blood.

Region 5:

Antioch

Hunters Lane

Gallatin

Overton

I think we started to see the rebirth of Metro Nashville 5A football in last year's playoffs and that this trend will continue this year. Antioch has the best coach, the best talent pool, and the best player in the region. That, along with a murderers row out of region schedule will have them tested by Region time. Terrance Davis is the best skill position talent in the 013 since Coker and PB. Hunters Lane is for real, but they seem to struggle playing Antioch early. I think Gallatin toughs out a third place finish. They could very well win this region (you can never count them out), but they have fallen short with greater talent and on paper, this may be their most questionable team since Robert has been there. I'm going with Overton fourth, because their RB and Defense will be stout, as most Terry Anderson teams are. Doesn't matter if he has Mose Phillips, Demetrius Reeves, Jacques Wordlaw, Tony Arnold, Terry Salter, Eric Covington, Daniel White, or whoever running the ball, his teams are going to be able to do it well.

Region 6:

Independence

Brentwood

Ravenwood

Franklin

I really think, all things considered, Independence is the best team in this Region. No slight at all to Scott Smith, but I think that this team will be inspired to win in his absence. Jason Eubanks is an outstanding young ball coach and he is going to play to his team's strengths. Scott Pettigrew, if he can stay healthy, could be the MVP of this region. You still have to respect what Issac and those guys outside can do, but I think they are going to spread it and run the rock. If Cordell can keep his head and not make crucial mistakes, they will win this region. I think Ron Crawford is the man, and I believe that Brentwood will surprise this season. They have a lot of holes to fill, but Coach just puts them in position to win games. Ditto for Ravenwood. My days of doubting Brian Rector's Raptors are over, but I just think Mike Becker will have to carry this team as far as they will go. He's capable, but he's had injury issues and if he goes down for any length of time, they are flat out done. They lost those great Tackles they had and a lot of glue guys that carried over the leadership from the 2005 Championship team. I just don't have a lot of faith in Franklin right now. That QB carousel last season was just detrimental to everything they were doing. When you have a D-I receiver and you can't get the ball in his hands.........................what are you going to do without him. They lost some really good players in Casey Dykes, Josh Frohock, Todd Campbell, and that rangy FS they had. Their coach rode into town on a high horse, but they are nowhere near as good as I thought they would be.

Anyways, those are my predictions and I would like for this to generate discussion, whether you agree or disagree.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McNine4MVP,

Last year Franklin's defense carried the team to the Region championship, and from what I've read their defense is supposed to be even better this year. Do you think the lack of stability at the QB position will be too much to overcome this season, or are you down on them because of the players they lost to graduation?

McNine4MVP,

Last year Franklin's defense carried the team to the Region championship, and from what I've read their defense is supposed to be even better this year. Do you think the lack of stability at the QB position will be too much to overcome this season, or are you down on them because of the players they lost to graduation?

from what ive heard they have the QB situation is under control this year and the defense will be strong coach webb is a genius of a coach so i wouldnt worry about defense on the other side of the ball i think the running game wont be as strong as the past but it will still be strong and they have the hands to get the ball down the field in the air it all rides on if the QB situation can stay stable this year.

Independence has won one game against first tier opponents since they started playing varsity ball in Region 6 two years ago and have yet to even play a playoff game, much less win one. Even Ravenwood won a first round playoff game the year before winning the region title. The rich winning traditions of Franklin and Brentwood make them top contenders every year. I have no clue if Independence will make the playoffs this year but there's no way they'll win the region title.

I do agree with your assessment of Antioch and Hunters Lane in Region 5. It will also be interesting to see the Smyrna and Riverdale matchup this year. That'll be fun to watch.

Guest workinprogress

Doesn't matter if he has Mose Phillips, Demetrius Reeves, Jacques Wordlaw, Tony Arnold, Terry Salter, Eric Covington, Daniel White, or whoever running the ball, his teams are going to be able to do it well.

What does that even mean?

Phillips was at Hillsboro; Reeves, Wordlaw, and Arnold at Antioch I think; Salter, E. Cov and White were and are at Overton. I here Overton has a pretty good back besides White as well. He played in the spring since white was in track. White is the best back in middle tn in my opinion.

Guest workinprogress

McNine, You are predicting with your heart and not your mind. Antioch connection with every top pick.

Dont see a real connection with two of the three picks. Yes AHS plays Riverdale this season but thats not a real connection. And yes E. Felts played at Antioch but that has little to do with McNine picking Indy. Am I missing something? I think he has some pretty good picks.

Dont see a real connection with two of the three picks. Yes AHS plays Riverdale this season but thats not a real connection. And yes E. Felts played at Antioch but that has little to do with McNine picking Indy. Am I missing something? I think he has some pretty good picks.

Aydelott played at Antioch, Felts played at Antioch,and so did McNine.

Guest workinprogress

quote name='fb247' post='826493589' date='Jul 30 2007 - 04:51 PM']Aydelott played at Antioch, Felts played at Antioch,and so did McNine.Ah...I forgot about Aydelott playing at Antioch.