Scrimmage - JCM @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

Well, the scrimmage went fine. There were numerous errors, missed assignments, etc. that you might expect in the opening scrimmage, especially on the Charger side. You would expect that under a new coach, with a new scheme on offense, and defensive changes, too. As a fan, though I was happy with what I saw today.

Both teams looked good on defense against the run. In fact, I was happy to see that there is apparently no drop-off in the quality of the Covington run defense since last year. It was darn tough last year, and JCM had difficulty moving the ball on the ground against the Chargers today. On the other hand, the Chargers had difficulty grinding out yardage on the ground too, with JCM making several tackles in the backfield on running plays.

JCM threw the ball quite a bit, and was not real effective passing, except that they did score their only touchdown of the day on a short pass to #5, who is a top college prospect, I understand. A couple of times their QB and receivers failed to hook up on apparently wide-open pass plays, but the Charger secondary did a pretty good job of coverage, I thought. The Chargers passing game started slowly, but picked up steam as the game progressed. The Chargers scored first on a long drive with a good mix of pass / run. Later, they picked up another score on a long pass play.

Covington scored twice to JCM's lone score, but I think that coaches will tell you that the score is the last thing they worry about in a scrimmage. I think that our fans were happy. Coaches always have to revert to coach-speak and tell you about what went wrong, so their comments might be different than mine. Did anyone else on coach T see the scrimmage?

Thanks for the summary. #5 is Gavin Hardin. He has presently committed to Ole Miss to play defense. He committed really early based mainly on the fact that I think they were the first to offer him and the fact I think his mom wants him to be close. UT has known about him for 2 years though and I`m sure they still have an eye on him and are waiting to see how he performs this year. I have a feeling the Ole Miss thing may not be written in stone if some other schools can get Gavin in for a visit.

I haven`t seen JCM practice this year but they should have at least two very good recievers. One is back from last year who was very good at geting yards after the catch and another is suppose to be a transfer speedster from Riverdale. It`s nice to hear they were getting open. JCM always seems to be slow at getting their passing game in sync so hopefully that will improve.

Did they have #5 in the backfield or lined up outside on offense? Also, what kind of size on the line did JCM have?

Thanks for the summary. #5 is Gavin Hardin. He has presently committed to Ole Miss to play defense. He committed really early based mainly on the fact that I think they were the first to offer him and the fact I think his mom wants him to be close. UT has known about him for 2 years though and I`m sure they still have an eye on him and are waiting to see how he performs this year. I have a feeling the Ole Miss thing may not be written in stone if some other schools can get Gavin in for a visit.

I haven`t seen JCM practice this year but they should have at least two very good recievers. One is back from last year who was very good at geting yards after the catch and another is suppose to be a transfer speedster from Riverdale. It`s nice to hear they were getting open. JCM always seems to be slow at getting their passing game in sync so hopefully that will improve.

Did they have #5 in the backfield or lined up outside on offense? Also, what kind of size on the line did JCM have?

I was trying to keep up with my 4 year old grandson who was running wild and also watch the scrimmage, so not sure where #5 was lining up. The JCM lines (both O-line and D-line) looked really big to me.