Private Schools At Spring Fling

hoops

RHS... Bruceton has had great success over the last 10 -12 years. During that time their record against USJ is about even. They have a state championship to their credit and 2 runner-ups. They put out a very good team every year. USJ has been putting out a good team for awhile as well, yet they haven`t won a state championship. Twice they lost in the clinic bowl to a "public" school. Just because you don`t win a state championship does not mean you aren`t a quality program. Bruceton has a long sustained quality program. Which brings me back to my question for you....If Bruceton can do it, why can`t Rockwood?

BTW here are some stats from 1993 to 2000. Note that only 4 of the top 16 are private schools.

Teams Playing 100 games since 1993

school wins loses games

Riverdale 100 11 111

Univ. School Jackson 90 18 108

Trousdale County 95 13 108

Portland 90 17 107

Huntingdon 77 28 105

David Lipscomb 86 19 105

Melrose 86 19 105

White House 83 22 105

Oak Ridge 88 17 105

Moore County 87 17 104

South Pittsburg 85 19 104

Milan 83 21 104

Goodpasture 69 35 104

Union City 86 17 103

BGA 78 24 102

Bruceton Central 85 16 101

Maryville 77 24 101

Brentwood Academy 86 15 101

Briarcrest 80 20 100

Teams Ranked Number 1

school Number of Weeks

Riverdale 38

Marion County 33

Trousdale County 26

Melrose 25

South Pittsburg 24

Haywood County 22

Christ Pres. Academy 17

Pearl-Cohn 17

Sweetwater 16

Union City 14

Cleveland 14

Huntingdon 13

Milan 12

Elizabethton 10

Meigs County 10

Gallatin 9

Goodpasture 8

Tyner 7

Oak Ridge 6

Morristown West 6

Alcoa 5

Red Bank 5

Jackson South Side 5

Germantown 4

Knoxville Halls 4

Humboldt 3

Soddy-Daisy 3

Peabody 3

Portland 2

White House 2

Maryville 2

Oakhaven 2

Univ. School Jackson 1

DCA 1

Martin Westview 1

Loudon 1

Sevier County 1

Westmorland 1

Smyrna 1

Hillsboro 1

Number of Weeks in Top 10 (80 Max)

Teams in Top 10 75% or more of the time

school Weeks in Top 10

Riverdale 80

Trousdale County 80

David Lipscomb 79

Huntingdon 78

Moore County 74

DCA 72

Milan 71

Oak Ridge 69

Cleveland 68

Bruceton Central 68

Portland 66

Martin Westview 65

Melrose 60

South Pittsburg 60

Franklin Road Academy 60

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 5/26/02 7:01P]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting statistics, except you have lots of schools that don't play private schools in the postseason anymore and shouldn't be a part of any kind of equation. Here's your lists again with schools that play in 1A and 2A (and there's really not much of an argument in 2A since it's 2 vs the world, except those 2 are usually among the division's top 5 teams each season). Aren't there about 130 teams in 1A and 2A together, with about 30 private schools if that many? The numbers shouldn't be so close with that kind of gap. Also look at state titles won, and quarter and semifinal finishes during those years and I think you'd find more telling numbers.

Teams Playing 100 games since 1993

school wins loses games

Univ. School Jackson 90 18 108

Huntingdon 77 28 105

David Lipscomb 86 19 105

Moore County 87 17 104

South Pittsburg 85 19 104

Goodpasture 69 35 104

Union City 86 17 103

BGA 78 24 102

Bruceton Central 85 16 101

(5-4 in favor of publics)

Teams Ranked Number 1

school Number of Weeks

Marion County 33

South Pittsburg 24

Christ Pres. Academy 17

Sweetwater 16

Union City 14

Huntingdon 13

Meigs County 10

Goodpasture 8

Tyner 7

Alcoa 5

Peabody 3

Oakhaven? 2

Univ. School Jackson 1

DCA 1

Martin Westview 1

Westmorland 1

(12-4 in favor of publics but the weakest of your three tables since it's totally a popularity/tradition vote in the regular season)

Number of Weeks in Top 10 (80 Max)

Teams in Top 10 75% or more of the time

school Weeks in Top 10

David Lipscomb 79

Huntingdon 78

Moore County 74

DCA 72

Bruceton Central 68

Martin Westview 65

South Pittsburg 60

Franklin Road Academy 60

(5-3 in favor of public schools, a better indicator than who was voted first for obvious reasons).

Sorry that I started posting football stats on a baseball board, but here goes again...

the top 15 power-rated single A teams from last year

8 EZELL HARDING 1A 90.50

26 UNIV. SCHOOL JACKSON 1A 81.23

44 CLOUDLAND 1A 76.23

51 COLLINWOOD 1A 73.48

71 CHRIST PRESBYTERIAN 1A 69.93

75 BRUCETON CENTRAL 1A 69.33

106 BOYD BUCHANAN 1A 63.26

127 DCA 1A 60.10

129 GORDONSVILLE 1A 59.92

132 MIDWAY 1A 59.35

141 JO BYRNS 1A 56.33

145 SOUTH PITTSBURG 1A 56.07

149 GREENBACK 1A 55.00

150 CASCADE 1A 54.93

158 FRIENDSHIP CHRISTIAN 1A 53.82

10 of 15 public

Ballin 4 has made a typical private supporter comment that requires a rebuttal. He says that private school coaches are better? Interesting? Whose job is more difficult? Who usually has a better group of athletes to work with? Whose kids are generally smarter? Whose kids are generally more motivated? In this day and age where baseball is becoming a country club sport (like golf and tennis) with all the $$$ being spent on camps, select travelling summer teams, pitching and hitting lessons, etc., who do think spends $ for all this extra stuff that makes players better? Do more private or public school players have this advantage? In your eyes, just pointing this out makes a public school supporter a cry baby. You see certain people are "born on 3rd base and think they hit a triple." This people have no idea what it takes to build a team from scratch in lower middle class community where baseball has not been important beyond the recreational level and the kids don't go to camps, lessons, or play select summer ball. Most private school coaches have it made. Show up in February, practice a little, write a lineup with several quality players from 4-5 local counties and 2 states, and come out smelling like a rose. The public school coaches are often stuck working with who they've got. No opportunities for getting a kid from across town. Public school coaches often do more with less. For the Chattanooga area fans, is Jimmy Parker at Boyd or John Visser at CCS better coaches than say David Dinger at Lookout Valley? Or are they fortunate to have private school talent? All coaches look good when they have good talent.

BushLeague..You make it sound as though public school kids don`t know how to play baseball. I live in Jackson. Here, as it most everywhere nowadays, baseball has become more of a year round sport rather than just a league you use to play in during the summertime. Travel leagues, Fall baseball leagues, camps, training centers for lessons. This isn`t just for baseball but girls softball as well. I`ll speak for what I know in this area. There are a lot of awesome baseball players in this town. Both public and private school players take in most all that is available to them. These kids that play baseball in public school have money. I know the families of a lot of these kids and believe me, it isn`t anything like how you tell it. I`m not saying that`s not the case where you are,but that`s how it is here.

a question-is the reason private schools are resisting a total split because they don't want to be seen as following orders from the public schools or (worse) the TSSAA? I've asked this several times on the board and haven't got the first straightforward answer from a private school person..What would be so wrong with two different leagues, Division I and Division II? The argument that Chattanooga Christian, for example, would be in with McCallie and Baylor and couldn't compete isn't true. With more teams and schools involved there would be enough for Division II Class A and AA leagues with a Chattanooga D2-A baseball league maybe looking like: Boyd-Buchanan, Grace, Chattanooga Christian, Notre Dame, Temple (if they field a team, didn't read anything about them this year). D2-AA teams McCallie and Baylor would have a hard time with distict games, but let 8 such schools make it to the state tournament to make up for differing number of league games. Those teams could play plenty of local games, a tournament or two, maybe play Webb and Catholic on a Friday night and Saturday afternoon and be prepared when Father Ryan or whoever is waiting in the other dugout in the Division II-AA state tournament.

I've agreed with some of the things you've said so far.

But, you say whose kids are generally smarter? Whose to say that because parents have more money to send their kids to private schools, their kids are smarter? You're implying that money creates knowledge, which isn't true. Whose kids are generally more motivated? One would think that kids who don't have "all the advantages" that money can offer would be motivated to work harder and get better, so their chances to go farther would increase. I agree that money does help out players a lot, and it's definitely to ones advantage to have money to provide for things like lessons, teams, etc.

You say private coaches don't know what it's like to field a team from scratch, or just "use what they've got." Well, I'm a junior, and I've played on ccs' baseball team for the past 3 years. In those 3 years, we haven't even had enough players to come out and have tryouts. Therefore, my coach has created a team with what he has, he hasn't gotten to "pick and choose" players, because there aren't even enough to pick and choose from.

There are points at which being at a private school are obviously advantageous to the student, or player. But I know in our case (ccs' baseball team) it was simply a matter of work ethic. We worked hard because we wanted to go as far as we possibly could. We made due with what we had, and that's it. You saying we- our coach and ourselves- simply had to show up in february, produce a lineup, practice a little, and start playing, is ignorant. Maybe you should give credit, in certain cases, where credit is due. We worked hard, and we got what we deserved. Maybe if we started recruiting "private school talent" and started paying for guys to come play on our team, or just had enough guys come out to where we could choose a team, you would have a place to say we belonged with mccallie or baylor. But since we don't, we play where we belong, and we got where we did because of how bad we wanted it.

[Edited by Bravos323 on 5/27/02 3:53P]

Bravo...Bravos 323

Indian...

The problem with this probably pertains more to football. Why should a team from Nashville have travel to Memphis, Chattanooga, or Knoxville to play a regular season game? Think about safety issues for parents, players, and students. Would you want your kid to drive from Memphis to Chattanooga and back to watch a football game? There aren`t that many private schools compared to publics. They shouldn`t have to travel so far just to play a regular season game. There...now you have my response.

Same situation..Have an East Tennessee Division II-A league with Boyd-Buchanan, Notre Dame, Catholic, Webb and Temple when they get a team going. I don't have the exact enrollments handy but it would be something like that..Have two Nashville regions then a west Tennessee region, top 2 from each of the four make the playoffs. Division II large would still run into travel headaches unless you staggered it somehow where Memphis and Chattanooga teams wouldn't have to play in the regular season, then rank all the teams in the division for playoffs. As far as heading to Knoxville from Chattanooga being too much, why should Grundy County have to go all the way to McMinn Central and Sequoyah for football then? It's not always going to be convenient for everyone but it wouldn't be the travel nightmare some try to claim.

[Edited by Indian on 5/27/02 3:06P]

Indian...I just don`t think they should be split. If cahnges need to be made, then so be it. My son will be trying out for a public school next fall. Do I tell him that they can`t play with privates because your team can`t compete with them? That`s the whole premise in sports. Competition. There will always be an underdog. I`d much rather my son compete as an underdog and not win, than to be labelled as "You`re suppose to win" and then lose. Acheiving means playing everyone....IMO. By splitting up the two, you are telling a lot of public school studentsthey are inferior to private school students when in actuallity they are not.

Maybe Duke and some other colleges should play in a sperate league. They are so much better than anyone else. NO! That deprives other schools at the opportunity to beat someone they shouldn`t.

Somehow, let`s keep them all as one.