Private Schools At Spring Fling

hoops

General, Privilege? There's a reason kids get sent to private schools...because they can. I'd much rather coach at a private school than public. The kids are privileged with wealth/circumstance. The coaches are generally privileged with more talent. It is frustrating for a public school coach to work with what he has and lose every year to privates. Evidently, this is one those issues that it depends what side of the issue you fall on, but you mentioned competition. If private schools continually win state titles and publics are left out, then there is no competition. I hope I didn't step on your toes but that's the way I see it. There might be change,there might not. As long as the powers that be (TSSAA) continue to make money on the tourney, I guess nothing will change. But the issue won't go away.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys talk about private schools having to travel. I graduated from Oliver Springs (10 miles west of Knoxville) this year and we played regular season football games at Smith Co. (Just East of Nashville) and Boyd-Buchanan (Chattanooga). We also played play-off games in South Greene (100 miles away) and Cloudland (150 miles away). I played baseball there and we traveled to Morristown East for a couple regular season games and we also had to go to Scott Co. because they're in our district (though they didn't field a team this year). Publics have to travel just as privates do.

Creeker....What I`m trying to do is shed a light on the myth that private school kids are "priviledged". I think it`s an overall misconception that private school kids are better or have an advantage that public schools have. I`ve posted here that my son will attend a public high school next year(9th grader). He had the opportunity to attend USJ, but decided that he didn`t want to do that. At best right now he is an average football player. Now you say they are priviledged because they "can" attend private school. Does that make my son priviledged? He can attend private school but chooses not to. Does he retain priviledges at public school or lose them? Be honest, there are a lot of kids who could attend private schools, but choose not to. I personally know a lot of people with these circumstances. I personally know a lot of kids whose parents make huge sacrifices because they feel it is in the best interest to go the private route and their kids will never play a sport at their private school. I`m not arguing with you and I`m not trying to be self righteous, but I get really tired when some on here make blanket statements about public and private school kids. There are a lot of private schools who get killed in sports. Just because there may be a few private schools that are really good, does that mean we should change everything? There are also some really good public schools as well. What does it say to a public school kid who can`t compete against a private school? It says that some people think you can`t compete with them. What does it tell a private school kid? It says you are better than them because they don`t want to play you. Both are wrong. I hate the fact that right now that there are parents, athletes, and general students that have to travel from Memphis to Chattanooga just to play a stupid football game during the regular season. That`s just not right.

These kids go to high school to get an education. We are all priviledged that we can get a free one in this country. Sports are a bonus.

As far as coaching goes...(and I know you didn`t say I was the one who said it) I think it is good coaching that makes good teams. There are a lot of good coaches in both the public and private sectors. There are coaches in both that absolutely stink as well. I think good coaches look forward to the challenge of preparing a team for whoever they line up against. Poor coaches look for excuses.

Guest RHSTIGERS

I don't think private schools recruit.I hope the TSSAA keeps up with that. What I do believe is unfair is the better private schools with better coaches attract players from other cities and counties. They have no boundries as where their players come from. If the TSSAA made boundries for privates I would have no problem with it.

Yes Volunteer....

What about magnet schools??? I have asked this on other forums and no one answers. If these people are honest with themselves then they must say that magnet schools would have to go too. Since most people's big problem is the fact that privates can get kids out of their district, well so can magnet schools. Does no one have a problem with them???

Sportsguy...

Here`s a tale for you. I was at a regional middle school tournament in Jackson a couple of years ago and the team that won was from Memphis. I can`t remember the name of the school but they were very good. The point guard was really good. I`d heard that he was one of the top 8th graders in the country(I guess from AAU ball). I happened to be standing next to one of their fans and asked him where this kid would be going to high school. I figured it would be interesting to see how he turned out. He told me that the kid hadn`t decided yet, that he was still deciding. What`s up with that???

I didn't know that about magnet schools, but if true then that is unfair as well. Any time you have a league or association, (tssaa), then all member schools should play by the same rules. As a public school coach, I coach the kids that live within my school's district. If magnets or privates do not have that same restriction then it could be an unfair advantage.

Guest RHSTIGERS

Do they choose or are they made to go to magnet schools? If they can choose to go then that is unfair, if they are made to go I have no problem. What is everyone elses thoughts on boundries and how if ever this could be settled?

the general asks:

"My son will be trying out for a public school next fall. Do I tell him that they can`t play with privates because your team can`t compete with them?"

didnt you say your son was going to JCM? student body of 1691 according to the tssaa site? i think the legitimate single a teams would all be happy to see the powerhouse privates playing in the same class with your son's team. its the privates that dont want that.