Here a rule idea for the TSSAA

Gerry Bertier

My bet is despite education that most high school students do not properly hydrate prior to the activity and there's a certain percentage of kids that didn't or won't do the proper things in the acclimation period no matter how much the coach stays on them.

I think that the football coach is typically the wrong person to make the determination of whether to practice or not when the heat index is over 100 3 weeks before the season starts. I also think there's still a stigma among some coaches, players and fans attached to hydration and heat illnesses.

It's my opinion that the safest thing to do that has the least amount of liability attached to it is to not participate in outdoor activities when the heat index is above a certain point.

Most High Schools have Certified Athletic Trainers who are present during Summer workouts as well as every practice. They work closely with the coaching staff to make decisions about practicing in shorts and shoulder pads or full gear. Also the Athletic Trainers "preach" during summer to the kids to properly hydrate and what not to eat. Now, most schools do not have a full time Athletic Trainer, or they have one, but he/she may only come out 2 or 3 times a week...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue here isn't just one day of 100 degree weather. But when you are out there 4 days in a row during this heat wave the body is going to wear down and that is when it gets dangerous. These kids aren't pro athletes like was previously said most of them are not properly hydrated for these conditions they enter in practice. I would think I would like practice at night and get more out of my players than practice in the late afternoon early evening, where they players are focused on the heat rather than practice.

10 Day Forecast For Union City..........

Today-99....Monday-99....Tuesday-102....Wednesday-103....Thursday-103....Friday-97....Saturday-96...

Sunday-95....Monday-97....Tuesday-96

As it gets closer to the season opener,I wonder how coaches will handles practices...This forecast goes thru the 21st...Some teams open up on the 24th....

Today-99....Monday-99....Tuesday-102....Wednesday-103....Thursday-103....Friday-97....Saturday-96...

As it gets closer to the season opener,I wonder how coaches will handles practices...This forecast goes thru the 21st...Some teams open up on the 24th....

Are there any Practice cancellations for this week>?

I wonder if some schools just take a chance hoping that a diaster will not happen. A poster on this thread stated that players need to get acclimated to the heat. This is silly, you don't get cozy with 100 plus heat. You just hope you don't have a heat stroke and die. And you can have trainers all over the field, but a heat stroke can happen like a bolt of lightening. Too late once it occurs. Is this not another classic example of how sports has gotton out of hand to where we just ignore the problem rather than address it with concrete solutions that would protect each and every player to the maximum. So what if you have to practice indoors or cancel a few practices, the world will keep turning. And all of the players in this great state will still be around to enjoy and play and live in it. The rule would have to be all inclusive, otherwise you would have coaches, school administrators, that would indeed take a chance with other children's lives. One last point, kids today spend much more of their time in air conditioning than those of us did that are older. I remember sitting in a classroom for a month and a half that was pushing 95 degrees every day all day at school, because we had no air conditioning. So therefore, you cannot get used to the heat unless you live in it twenty four seven, no player is going to do that, so the threat remains.

I wonder if some schools just take a chance hoping that a diaster will not happen. A poster on this thread stated that players need to get acclimated to the heat. This is silly, you don't get cozy with 100 plus heat. You just hope you don't have a heat stroke and die. And you can have trainers all over the field, but a heat stroke can happen like a bolt of lightening. Too late once it occurs. Is this not another classic example of how sports has gotton out of hand to where we just ignore the problem rather than address it with concrete solutions that would protect each and every player to the maximum. So what if you have to practice indoors or cancel a few practices, the world will keep turning. And all of the players in this great state will still be around to enjoy and play and live in it. The rule would have to be all inclusive, otherwise you would have coaches, school administrators, that would indeed take a chance with other children's lives. One last point, kids today spend much more of their time in air conditioning than those of us did that are older. I remember sitting in a classroom for a month and a half that was pushing 95 degrees every day all day at school, because we had no air conditioning. So therefore, you cannot get used to the heat unless you live in it twenty four seven, no player is going to do that, so the threat remains.

You make some good points, but I must say that you contradicted yourself. At the beginning of your post you said, "A poster on this thread stated that players need to get acclimated to the heat. This is just silly, you don't get cozy with 100 plus heat." Then your last two sentences were, " So therefore, you cannot get used to the heat unless you live in it twenty four seven, no player is going to do that, so the threat remains." And yes you can get acclimated and used to 100 degree heat. This does not mean that heat stroke will not happen. If I take the best driving defense course in the world and have never had a wreck does this mean I am not prone to having a wreck? Of course not it can happen at any moment, but getting acclimated to this heat is the best defense against having a heat stroke. So you disagreed with me at the beginning of your post, and then agreed with me at the end of your post. Better for you to agree with me at the end rather than at the beginning

You make some good points, but I must say that you contradicted yourself. At the beginning of your post you said, "A poster on this thread stated that players need to get acclimated to the heat. This is just silly, you don't get cozy with 100 plus heat." Then your last two sentences were, " So therefore, you cannot get used to the heat unless you live in it twenty four seven, no player is going to do that, so the threat remains." And yes you can get acclimated and used to 100 degree heat. This does not mean that heat stroke will not happen. If I take the best driving defense course in the world and have never had a wreck does this mean I am not prone to having a wreck? Of course not it can happen at any moment, but getting acclimated to this heat is the best defense against having a heat stroke. So you disagreed with me at the beginning of your post, and then agreed with me at the end of your post. Better for you to agree with me at the end rather than at the beginning

I think we are reading posts a bit differently. I stated or implied that to think that players will get used to 100 plus heat is not realistic. Most players are not going to sit out in the heat getting ready for football. They are in air conditioning most of their days and nights especially in the summer. So getting used to it is not realistic. In an earlier generation, air conditioning was a rare thing to have. I was eighteen before this came into my home. And even in my day, 100 plus heat would and did cause problems. So no, I did not agree, I just didn't explain it fully. You don't get used to this type of heat, you just have a hope and prayer that nothing bad happens. Is everything possible being done to ensure that the safety of all players is paramount. And in saying everything, that means even if interferes with normal practice routines in the summer. If this is so, great, if not, what do you say to a parent of a child that has suffered the ultimate loss because of practicing in extreme heat. Do you say, I'm so sorry, but the game goes on? I wonder if society can now stomach the loss of a child rather than make a few changes that would ensure that every player is protected to the max, even if it means going indoors or God forbid cancelling practice. The world I assure you will keep turning. So Coach let me make sure I am clear. I do not agree with any statement that says you can get used to extreme weather and safely practice football in it. You stated the best defense driving course would not ensure you of not having an accident. But the example is not solid for this reason. Are teams doing absolutely everything possible to ensure the safety of their athletes. I say no, when they practice in this extreme heat versus something less stressful. One last statement, I wonder what is said to an athlete that walks up to a coach and makes the statement that he is too hot. What would happen then?

I think we are reading posts a bit differently. I stated or implied that to think that players will get used to 100 plus heat is not realistic. Most players are not going to sit out in the heat getting ready for football. They are in air conditioning most of their days and nights especially in the summer. So getting used to it is not realistic. In an earlier generation, air conditioning was a rare thing to have. I was eighteen before this came into my home. And even in my day, 100 plus heat would and did cause problems. So no, I did not agree, I just didn't explain it fully. You don't get used to this type of heat, you just have a hope and prayer that nothing bad happens. Is everything possible being done to ensure that the safety of all players is paramount. And in saying everything, that means even if interferes with normal practice routines in the summer. If this is so, great, if not, what do you say to a parent of a child that has suffered the ultimate loss because of practicing in extreme heat. Do you say, I'm so sorry, but the game goes on? I wonder if society can now stomach the loss of a child rather than make a few changes that would ensure that every player is protected to the max, even if it means going indoors or God forbid cancelling practice. The world I assure you will keep turning. So Coach let me make sure I am clear. I do not agree with any statement that says you can get used to extreme weather and safely practice football in it. You stated the best defense driving course would not ensure you of not having an accident. But the example is not solid for this reason. Are teams doing absolutely everything possible to ensure the safety of their athletes. I say no, when they practice in this extreme heat versus something less stressful. One last statement, I wonder what is said to an athlete that walks up to a coach and makes the statement that he is too hot. What would happen then?

I appreciate the clarification. First, I am not a Coach. Second, I can't speak for any other school except the one I am at. And yes, we do a fine job of keeping our athletes hydrated during practice and they have access to water ad lib. And it's not that you get used to it, it's that you get acclimated to it. One of the reasons kids fall out is because the heat places A LOT of stress on your heart, and the better shape you are in the less likely a heat stroke will occur. It's not that we "hope and pray that nothing bad happens" it's recognizing the signs of a kid with a potential heat illness. Now, there are your rare occassions where there are no warning signs of this, and that is unfortunate.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...70802182020.htm

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/17/1676_51602.htm

Check these two websites out. I think you will find them useful.

You know I asked my son about the heat yesterday,BTW he is a freshman and is practicing with the frosh then the varsity(about 4 1/2 hrs),he said the heat wasn't all that bad....The coaches at UC are really taking steps to take of the kids..I asked him if he thought he was getting used to it and he said I don't know,but it doesn't seem near as bad as it was last week....Maybe you do get acclimated to the heat?...

You know I asked my son about the heat yesterday,BTW he is a freshman and is practicing with the frosh then the varsity(about 4 1/2 hrs),he said the heat wasn't all that bad....The coaches at UC are really taking steps to take of the kids..I asked him if he thought he was getting used to it and he said I don't know,but it doesn't seem near as bad as it was last week....Maybe you do get acclimated to the heat?...

THANK YOU!!