Scores

VolunteerGeneral

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there are other rewards for good play beyond putting in a goal against an already defeated opponent, only to have them watch a JV player running back to mid field laughing and high-fiving. How are they going to improve"? How about in practice against the varsity? Or in all the other games they play, where the scsore is not out of control? Coaches who claim they just can't control it after they are already ahead by 5 or 6 goals, seem to have a lack of imagination and compassion. No, I am not a coach, but like most everyone on this site, I have seen hundreds of games . . . and have coached much younger girls. The hard lessons of absolutley getting creamed and humiliated can be learned elsewhere and later in life . . . and wonderful lessons and soccer skills can be learned by the victors when they treat the vanquished with some respect.

Well that is why we live in America, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I also played soccer in High School and College, and Coached AYSO and Competitive. In those experiences, I have been on both sides of lopsided games......as players and coaches we learn to prepare better, train harder so it doesn't happen again or at least hopefully it doesn't happen again. When you are on the winning side as a Coach you teach your players to be curteous and no showboating, like they do in the other sports. That being said, do I think it was a good thing to win by that margin? Yes, in the respect that the girls have had trouble finishing in games so it should help their confidence. No, in the respect that I feel bad for the ones who lost number one, but also easy games can make players vulnerable in tough hard fought games.

I am sure if I said the Coach told them to make 8 passes you would have said they needed to make 16 passes. As far as working on skills, that is what they did. Considering only 5 of the goals were scored by Starting Varity players, 2 by a Varsity player off the bench, and the rest by JV players I think the girls did fine. Besides you have JV girls that only get to play a limited number of games, and very limited amount of time in Varsity games, how are they going to improve if they don't work hard while they get the opportunity?

I certainly wasn't trying to be critical. I just found it sort of strange that your coach said, "hey let's lay off" by stringing together 4 passes and shooting from the 18. Who cares if the score is 1-0 or 15-0 except maybe the parents and the player who scores 5 goals a match against weak opponents? I assure you that soccer skills can be developed without having to take a shot on goal. For example, is it more impressive for a player to beat a weak defense and weak keeper 1 on 1 or is it more impressive for a young player to show her coach that she can receive a pass with control, dribble through a defender or two with alternating touches, and then change fields? Maybe the first scenario is what impresses you.

I certainly wasn't trying to be critical. I just found it sort of strange that your coach said, "hey let's lay off" by stringing together 4 passes and shooting from the 18. Who cares if the score is 1-0 or 15-0 except maybe the parents and the player who scores 5 goals a match against weak opponents? I assure you that soccer skills can be developed without having to take a shot on goal. For example, is it more impressive for a player to beat a weak defense and weak keeper 1 on 1 or is it more impressive for a young player to show her coach that she can receive a pass with control, dribble through a defender or two with alternating touches, and then change fields? Maybe the first scenario is what impresses you.

Maybe it doesn't really matter what impresses me, you or anyone on this board. I am sure the JV players that scored were thrilled they had the opportunity, oh, whoops, I forgot it isn't supposed to be about them is it?

Yeah, but it was only temporary...........,but it looks like Miami and FSU have some sort of terminal illness. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Point taken. Can't speak for the 'noles but 3 National Championships and a two decade run ain't shabby.

Maybe it doesn't really matter what impresses me, you or anyone on this board. I am sure the JV players that scored were thrilled they had the opportunity, oh, whoops, I forgot it isn't supposed to be about them is it?

Of course it's about them. But it is also about more than watching your JV girl score the 8th goal in a 10-0 rout of an ovematched team. It IS about them . . . it is about coaches teaching them skills, how to be aggressive, having composure, etc. It is NOT about us who respond on this site or the parents . . . jeez, most parents would love to see their kids score all the goals in the world. Kids can learn, be competitive in these games, and not have to score a baker's dozen. We had a recent game with an overmatched opponent, went up 5-0 (2 goals by the JV), and worked on other skills and mid field and defensive formations. The end score, 5-0. It was good for the girls. Kids generally "get it" in these situations, and undertand about not humiliating an opponent. Coaches can teach this stuff, and its valuable througout life. When you step on the field, youi need to be prepared, and their ought to be winners and losers. That's part of life. But you do not necessarilly need to run up the score. You still get the win, and its still about them . . . but coaches are teachers, too. So . . if someone wants to tell me that, the coash cannot come up with a way to curtail the scorign and still have the girls learn anything, I say " Not a very enlightened or creative coach" . If you say "We just want to win by as much as we can, and are willing to accept it if it happens to us," I may take issue with that, but it is at least more genuine.

Call out to BigG, Volunteer General, MJUHB.

Can anyone share if a Mercy Rule has ever been attempted in High School Soccer? Perhaps we could be constructive here and help everyone out. Despite how lop-sided a score, could it simply be reported only as a 6-0 or a 5-0 shutout? Is there any real value in a 6-0 win over 10-0 or 15-0 win? If it won't get reported, perhaps that may help the players realize those extra 10 goals won't count....anywhere.

Would love to hear you thoughts

Point taken. Can't speak for the 'noles but 3 National Championships and a two decade run ain't shabby.

Hey, can anyone tell me where I can get a Appy State hat. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Now back to SOCCER SCORES...PLEASE!!! My college football season ended three weeks ago. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Hey, can anyone tell me where I can get a Appy State hat. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No back to SOCCER SCORES...PLEASE!!! My college football season ended three weeks ago. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

You've got company on this message board

I don't recall saying it wasn't about "them" - the players. If beating up on a weak opponent is what gets you fired up as a parent, then more power to you. We'll see how much the 10-0 score prepares Powell for districts soon enough.

Of course it's about them. But it is also about more than watching your JV girl score the 8th goal in a 10-0 rout of an ovematched team. It IS about them . . . it is about coaches teaching them skills, how to be aggressive, having composure, etc. It is NOT about us who respond on this site or the parents . . . jeez, most parents would love to see their kids score all the goals in the world. Kids can learn, be competitive in these games, and not have to score a baker's dozen. We had a recent game with an overmatched opponent, went up 5-0 (2 goals by the JV), and worked on other skills and mid field and defensive formations. The end score, 5-0. It was good for the girls. Kids generally "get it" in these situations, and undertand about not humiliating an opponent. Coaches can teach this stuff, and its valuable througout life. When you step on the field, youi need to be prepared, and their ought to be winners and losers. That's part of life. But you do not necessarilly need to run up the score. You still get the win, and its still about them . . . but coaches are teachers, too. So . . if someone wants to tell me that, the coash cannot come up with a way to curtail the scorign and still have the girls learn anything, I say " Not a very enlightened or creative coach" . If you say "We just want to win by as much as we can, and are willing to accept it if it happens to us," I may take issue with that, but it is at least more genuine.

THIS IS A COACHING OPINION!

I myself have been on both sides of this situation. After lots of discussions with coaches I admire and mentor under this is what I have concluded to work best for MY TEAMS. If you like it then feel free to use it or pass it on.

I always start out 11v11 like everyone else. But if we get going good and get up early and I see this can be a blowout and my girls aren't being challenged, I simply play down a player, two or three. I sub quite often as you can imagine as the players are working very hard to transition out of attack to defense and vis versa. The players are still playing the game as it is supposed to be played having to still use their own individual skills plus they MUST use their teammates in combinations, players must make runs off the ball to get into space to maintain possession and keep shape. The other added bonus is it is great fitness for them. In my years of coaching only ONE coach has ever taken offense to it. The others thought it was a great way to still keep my team focused on the game, keep them sharp and get alot of playing time for ALL THE PLAYERS. If you are truely looking to not run the score up then this is one way to do it. In this type of environment you have the conditions every coach looks to create in practice. A team that truley knows it is overmached would much rather see a score at 4/5-0 playing against 7 or 8 players rotateing in and out then a score of 10+ against 11. Again this is from my experience and may not be agreed to by all. I will leave it at that. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I don't recall saying it wasn't about "them" - the players. If beating up on a weak opponent is what gets you fired up as a parent, then more power to you. We'll see how much the 10-0 score prepares Powell for districts soon enough.

This is crazy, I never said it gets me fired up to have our team win by that score. I don't think it accomplishes anything, but then again, what are we doing on this board trying to find someone to bash with every comment we make. If you go back to my first comment, it was simply admitting that I can see how a score like some of Oak Ridges happen. I had a negative comment when I saw their scores, and felt bad for it.

If you want to continue to find something wrong with everything people post, fine knock yourself out.