Bridges Classic

wtnoff

i believe it will go according to something like this:

10 a.m.--st. george's vs. booker t. washington

1 p.m.--covington vs. white station (why this game is being played, im not sure.)

4 p.m.--MUS vs. ridgeway

7 p.m.--Christian Brothers vs. melrose

....start times, obviously, are relative to the time it takes to complete each previous game.

And the winners are...1. BTW

2. White Station

3. MUS

4.Melrose

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey man, im a CBHS fan and respect Martinez' decision. I was just wondering what the deal with the QB was and if we have a capable backup until he is back.

i wasnt complaining about your post, it was the other person's i didnt care too much for.

does Christian Brothers have a backup that plays like Blanchard? that would be a negative. do we have someone that is capable of handing the ball off to Eric Watson and running basic offensive sets...yes. so well see how it goes. im not too sure about this game. i wanna' be positive, but i just cant see the Brothers having enough balance on offense, with BOTH Pharr and Martinez out in addition to Blanchard, to put up enough points to overcome that stout golden wildcat defense.

and then there's Christian Brothers' defense....dont even get me started. im a little perturbed that a particular someone im pretty close to is not playing. and ill leave it at that.

This is going to be a good game. I think there are a few key elements to this game that will determine the outcome. I won't be there so I will be relying on you guys for a report of what happens. I think the key for CBHS will be to establish Watson's running game. If CBHS can't run effectively against Melrose then it's going to be a long night for CBHS. Without the threat of throwing the ball, Eric is going to be looking at 8 in the box all night long. The second key will be how the Melrose OL pass blocks for Tramarcus Toney, who I think is a tremendous talent. If CBHS can get to him on a consistant basis, they will slow him some. If he has time to throw then I feel sorry for the CBHS db's. I think the CBHS deffense will play to stop the pass and the Melrose 'D' will play to stop the run. So I guess a good question to ask would be ... what does the CBHS pass defense look like?

This is going to be a good game. I think there are a few key elements to this game that will determine the outcome. I won't be there so I will be relying on you guys for a report of what happens. I think the key for CBHS will be to establish Watson's running game. If CBHS can't run effectively against Melrose then it's going to be a long night for CBHS. Without the threat of throwing the ball, Eric is going to be looking at 8 in the box all night long. The second key will be how the Melrose OL pass blocks for Tramarcus Toney, who I think is a tremendous talent. If CBHS can get to him on a consistant basis, they will slow him some. If he has time to throw then I feel sorry for the CBHS db's. I think the CBHS deffense will play to stop the pass and the Melrose 'D' will play to stop the run. So I guess a good question to ask would be ... what does the CBHS pass defense look like?

if CBHS cant run the ball effectively for the first month of the season, they will start out 0-4.

even with blanchard playing, melrose is going to put 8 in the box. they always have, and they probably always will. theyre willing to bet their dbs are gonna be able to hang with your receivers long enough to let harper and company harass your qb. thats how they play.

if youll remember back to a couple years ago (2005, Christian Brothers traveled to orange mound and won) when kenyatta fullilove was one of their safeties, he routinely played within about 8 yards of the line of scrimmage as a SAFETY.

theyve got great athletes and they know it, so they take chances, and i dont blame 'em 'cause they dont often get burned and even if they do, the qb is almost guaranteed to have someone breathing down his neck.

on to the CBHS defense....without the most experienced returning starter playing saturday night in DL Ben Duffel, the only player that contributed significantly on defense when CBHS last beat melrose in '05, the other defensive personnel are gonna have to step up in a HUGE way. if the Brothers' front 6 or 7 get manhandled, its gonna be a long night for the Wave. BUT if they can hold up, maybe even find a way and manage to get some CONSISTENT pressure on Toney, i think theyll at least keep it respectable and give the offense a chance.

their best defense might be the offense's ability to HANG ON to the ball and let Eric Watson chew up yardage 3, 4 and 5 yards at a time. if he can improve upon his performance versus melrose from last year, the Brothers have a chance. it was rather evident the golden wildcat db's grew tired of tackling the freshman last season.

another aspect to this game that is key will be special teams and dumb penalties, case in point: last years game. melrose scored their only touchdown of the game on a "fumbled" punt return that melrose recovered inside the red zone (wasnt really a fumble, but the ball hit a CBHS player and melrose recovered). toward half time, CBHS got down inside the 10 yard line, but was moved back on a personal foul called on a player WAY AWAY from the play when they shoved somebody late....a really boneheaded decision that might have cost the Brothers the game.

there are also 4 of 5 returning defensive backs that were starters last year. in this game, the CBHS secondary SHOULD BE a strong point of the defense, but thats why you play the game on the field and not on paper. you never know, and....

.....we shall see how it all shakes out come saturday night.

Thanks brosbaseball9 for all the great info. I am a CBHS alumni and also read that article the other day in the CA. It was news to me that Ben wasn't playing. Also, do you know if there are any Sophmores that are going to step up this year and play big roles?Thanks brosbaseball9 for all the great info. I am a CBHS alumni and also read that article the other day in the CA. It was news to me that Ben wasn't playing. Also, do you know if there are any Sophmores that are going to step up this year and play big roles?

CBHS can win with solid special teams play and very limited turnovers. The defensive will also have to be physical and cause some Melrose turnovers. CBHS will also need the benefit of a short field.

If Melrose is not hurt badly by there own special teams play, penalties, and can handle Watson, this game will not be close.

My prediction- If Toney, the Melrose qb, stays healthy, Melrose will win.

Thanks brosbaseball9 for all the great info. I am a CBHS alumni and also read that article the other day in the CA. It was news to me that Ben wasn't playing. Also, do you know if there are any Sophmores that are going to step up this year and play big roles?Thanks brosbaseball9 for all the great info. I am a CBHS alumni and also read that article the other day in the CA. It was news to me that Ben wasn't playing. Also, do you know if there are any Sophmores that are going to step up this year and play big roles?

not a problem. i do what i can and try to keep it as honest as i possibly can.

as far as Ben Duffel not playing, word is that he "sustained" (if you want to call it that) a toe injury in tech theatre class after he dropped a board or something on his toe....im not sure, thats just what ive heard, through the grapevine, so to speak.

sophomores contributing this season--> i know of none besides Eric Watson. im not sure there will be many on the field this year, assuming the "regulars" stays healthy. this years version of Christian Brothers football appears to be much more junior/senior laden (who have actually contributed as underclassmen) than the past few years.

CBHS can win with solid special teams play and very limited turnovers. The defensive will also have to be physical and cause some Melrose turnovers. CBHS will also need the benefit of a short field.

If Melrose is not hurt badly by there own special teams play, penalties, and can handle Watson, this game will not be close.

My prediction- If Toney, the Melrose qb, stays healthy, Melrose will win.

in case you didnt read an earlier post of mine, the MOST PHYSICAL player on the Christian Brothers' defense, Ben Duffel, is NOT PLAYING. having said that, the other guys are gonna have to step their game up significantly, and increase their intensity because they wont have their best defensive player on the field tonight.

yes, special teams play, particularly keeping punts/kickoffs away from Holloway (sp?), or not allowing a small gain to turn into a touchdown on a punt/kick return, will be key. this might, as it has the previous two times these teams have met, decide which team wins--be it on a punt return or a key fumble recovery inside the red zone on a punt, etc....or as previously mentioned, keeping it away from the other team's return man.

keeping the field short will also greatly benefit either teams' cause. So the front 7 for Christian Brothers is gonna have to be on their game and keep melrose from being able to grind it out with Nash, then going up top with Toney to Holloway and their other receivers. if they can keep that from happening, though simpler said than done, keeping the game close will become much easier for the Purple Wave.

handling Watson....what does that mean? is 95 yards on like 15 carries "handling" Watson? i hope not. (approx. numbers from last years game)

but ill agree with you, if the golden wildcats can CONTAIN Eric Watson, not let him grind out 4, 5, 6+ yard runs and make the qb throw the ball, melrose gives themselves even more of an advantage. something id like to see the brothers do is throw some little dump passes to watson in the flat, and maybe catch melrose in a blitz, or a safety sticking his nose too close to the line of scrimmage, and see what happens...just a thought.

my prediction: if Christian Brothers can hit Toney and contain Nash on the ground, then if Watson cracks the century mark on the ground, the Wave has a chance because there havent been too many 100 yard games by rb's versus melrose the last few seasons.

on the other hand: if Nash runs wild, melrose will win. if toney has all day to sit back and find an open receiver, melrose wins. if melrose completely stifles the Brothers' offense, they will win because eventually one team will find a way to score and if CBHS doesnt do it on offense, i dont really see the defense being able to create a lot of turnovers, though i have been known to be wrong.

and so well see in a few short hours.