DB vs. William Blount

db123

...it was a great punt. it may have been one of the longest. I still give the 'kicking game' edge to WB. A punter that already has his sites on a D-1 school before the season certainly trumps a 27 yard ave. The DB kicker did score 7 points, but I dont think he has the leg DB is used to having. No touchbacks on kickoffs, but maybe next year when he is a sr. The kickoff return is the "auto 7 pts" DB brings with them whenever they play locals. WB will not concede a touchdown just because they are DB. We will find out soon, people are already in the seats!

They had a great punter at WB, as for the last part ?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to thank the WB fans I sat with tonight {One played football at North Ala. and another is a Vietnam vet }for some old time Tennessee hospitality. I enjoyed the football game and the trip, I hope you guys are able to come to Kingsport and the people up here are as nice to you. Good luck the rest of the way.PS {North ALA}I'll take those points if we play again

I was proud to see how hard DB fought last night. There was marked improvement vs the TN High game. Other teams will improve too so the question is will they improve more than the tough teams like WB will? I think there is a potential for that.

The rout that was feared never happened. They kept it close. They fought hard. It wasn't a win but it was success for a very inexperienced team. It was very much worth the trip down even though we arrived late.

Just keep improving guys. Good job.

Thus far, WB has dominated both games in the yardage category but is having a very difficult time scoring when they get in the red zone. I was very impressed with Ring for DB. He is solid. Receivers need to catch the ball. TJ Walker did not play the whole 2nd half as he stood on crutches. That was huge. WB rushes only 3 because TJ can get to the QB everytime. Without him, WB had NO PASS RUSH!!!! Ring had many times 5 to 6 seconds to let it fly. Walker has got to be healthy if WB wants to beat teams who can pass it effectively. Good luck to the Indians. I predict they will once again win their Region. Their inexperience is already beginning to wear off.

Thus far, WB has dominated both games in the yardage category but is having a very difficult time scoring when they get in the red zone. I was very impressed with Ring for DB. He is solid. Receivers need to catch the ball. TJ Walker did not play the whole 2nd half as he stood on crutches. That was huge. WB rushes only 3 because TJ can get to the QB everytime. Without him, WB had NO PASS RUSH!!!! Ring had many times 5 to 6 seconds to let it fly. Walker has got to be healthy if WB wants to beat teams who can pass it effectively. Good luck to the Indians. I predict they will once again win their Region. Their inexperience is already beginning to wear off.

Losing Walker was pretty critical because until then DB could not sustain much offense to give the defense a rest. Although it did not result in any points it gave the Tribe the opportunities and allowed the d to regroup. I don't think many thought DB could stay with the Govs, but there are not many Clark coached teams that get it handed to them. Great things happening down WB way..hoping for nothing serious with the Walker kid. The punting game was huge and it made DB have to go the long field all night...that kid will figure into many a win.

I'd like to thank the WB fans I sat with tonight {One played football at North Ala. and another is a Vietnam vet }for some old time Tennessee hospitality. I enjoyed the football game and the trip, I hope you guys are able to come to Kingsport and the people up here are as nice to you. Good luck the rest of the way.PS {North ALA}I'll take those points if we play again

Just hope the players and fans dont have to ever come on a Thursday night. DB did well if they had a player back home by 1:00. Any body know what time the team got home (not locker room)? Were they excused this morning? Maybe Max Max needs to open a booth in the halls this morning. You can bet it will be film watching today and limited practice if any.

Random reflections from the GovMan:

Great win for WB. Regardless of whether it's an up or down year or rebuilding year or whatever for DB ... IT IS STILL KINGSPORT DOBYNS-BENNETT ... and when you defeat them, you've won against a quality program.Very impressed with DB's fan support ... to bring as many fans as they did on a 2+ hour drive on a school night just shows an incredible level of support for a top-notch football program. And every fan I witnessed or met from DB was full of class and respect for WB.Darren Garner will soon be--if not already--recognized as one of the top running / all purpose backs in the state.As observed already, WB NEEDS T.J. Walker in line-up for their defense to be optimally effective. If he's not making a play, he's drawing 2-3 blockers when he is in, thus freeing up some other guys. Though overshadowed, junior Brock Gordley (de) is a star in the making. He had 3 sacks last night and several tackles.Growing more and more impressed with WB's receiving corps ... obviously Grey Clevenger was going to be a weapon; then Brad "Wally" Cochran shows up and he's a beast; but then along with those, you've got Garner as a huge receiving threat out of the backfield; you've got Don Cope who has as good of hands as anyone on the team; you've got Chase Helton who has great hands, great speed, and great instincts. I'm sure there may be more, but those 5 form as good of a crew of receivers that I can remember us having in a while.Got to meet Coach Clark before the game and listen to a couple of "war stories" from the past. I'd love to spend several hours with this guy, just listening to his stories. I was very impressed with him both before and after the game. He epitomizes class.I believe DB will be heard from before the season is over. They definitely have several weapons and they're young. As far as the Governors, we can't let this win, or the notoriety that is growing, go to our heads. Every team we play from here on out is capable of beating us if we don't come out ready to play and continue to improve. I know Coach Meadows and his staff will keep us focused and playing "one game at a time."It was an awesome atmoshpere at WB last night. We open up our new two-story pressbox and already we didn't have room! We had 5 radio stations; 1 tv crew; 4+ newspapers; at least one or two other print media representatives; both sets of press box coaches; score board operators, and film crews ... all looking for a seat. We did the best we could. Sorry to those who had to sit outside.

This was a good game. If this DB team is supposed to be down, then I'd love to see them when they're up. They looked like a pretty solid squad. Their defense bent but didn't break on several occasions, although they looked like they were a little off balance at times against the no huddle. WB was able to get them in situations they didn't like and were able to capitalize at those times. I don't know how young the DB d-line is, but if they get much more experience I think they can be scary on the pass rush. DBs dbs are small and had trouble when Garner got into the secondary. On offense, I felt sorry for the DB QB. He looked good. He had time to pass and was on the money most of the time (with the exception of the one ball he should have thrown away due to WBs excellent coverage but instead threw to WBs Burstrom while I was right in the middle of talking about how Burstrom shouldn't be playing both ways...). His receivers just can't catch. I'll give credit to the WB dbs for making timely contact, but still...those poor kids just can't catch the ball.

For WB...they looked good. Garner is FAST! He makes good decisions running the ball too. Burstrom is still a little more dangerous with his feet than his arm, but he's come a long way since the last time I saw him. He underthrew receivers a few times, but he also bailed out drives a few times. He's really tough to bring down. His big target Clevenger is a very solid receiver. The WB defense is just about all I heard that it would be. They hit hard, and they DO NOT miss tackles. The first guy who gets there gets the tackle. Their secondary let the receivers run free a little bit, but why wouldn't they...

Can anyone explain the WB o-line's blocking scheme to me? I was watching it and didn't really understand what they were doing?

DB's special teams had a major advantage in the first half. They returned the kickoff for 7 and also drew a personal foul on a punt that sustained a drive which I think went for their only other 7. The tide really turned in the second half. DB couldn't adjust to the booming punts from WB and that caused them to mishandle several kicks adding to the flipped field position. It all got capped off at the end of the game with DB turning it over on about their own 5.

Overall, good game. WB looks good and I sure hope that Walker is okay. DB has a lot of potential and will fare just fine in their region.

What a great game last night at WB. Both teams played tough and never let up til the last second ticked off the clock. Garner was a key player in the win as well as Burstrom. I hate that he plays both sides of the ball but my gosh, now I know why. The kid can flat out compete, and as a coach, you look for that in a player. I do wish someone would step up and take that safety position and give Burstrom time to rest and focus on the next offensive series. You could see that he was starting to tire in the 4th. Brock Gorley is another key player last night that took over for Walker when he went out with his ankle. Had some sacks and good tackles. Grey Clevenger has a great set of hands and will bode well in the up and coming games for WB. The gov man always has great assessments of the game and love to read his posts. I agree with the DB fans and players too having as much class and support as any team I have seen and had the opportunity to talk to. I felt the same way last season when I went to watch the game up in their stadium. Great bunch up in Kingsport. I know they will have a successful season and be in the hunt for #1 in their region. As for WB, I sure hope they continue their fight to be a contender in the playoffs as well as for a state champion. Have to keep everyone healthy. When you have key players going down, its hard to keep hitting on all cylinders. Walker may be out for the SD game next week but then they have a bye so thats a couple weeks rest for him to be ready for Ooltawah. That game should be one to watch too. Good luck Govs. Am enjoying watching the boys that I've known since grass hoppers come into their own and have success.

This was a good game. If this DB team is supposed to be down, then I'd love to see them when they're up. They looked like a pretty solid squad. Their defense bent but didn't break on several occasions, although they looked like they were a little off balance at times against the no huddle. WB was able to get them in situations they didn't like and were able to capitalize at those times. I don't know how young the DB d-line is, but if they get much more experience I think they can be scary on the pass rush. DBs dbs are small and had trouble when Garner got into the secondary. On offense, I felt sorry for the DB QB. He looked good. He had time to pass and was on the money most of the time (with the exception of the one ball he should have thrown away due to WBs excellent coverage but instead threw to WBs Burstrom while I was right in the middle of talking about how Burstrom shouldn't be playing both ways...). His receivers just can't catch. I'll give credit to the WB dbs for making timely contact, but still...those poor kids just can't catch the ball.

For WB...they looked good. Garner is FAST! He makes good decisions running the ball too. Burstrom is still a little more dangerous with his feet than his arm, but he's come a long way since the last time I saw him. He underthrew receivers a few times, but he also bailed out drives a few times. He's really tough to bring down. His big target Clevenger is a very solid receiver. The WB defense is just about all I heard that it would be. They hit hard, and they DO NOT miss tackles. The first guy who gets there gets the tackle. Their secondary let the receivers run free a little bit, but why wouldn't they...

Can anyone explain the WB o-line's blocking scheme to me? I was watching it and didn't really understand what they were doing?

DB's special teams had a major advantage in the first half. They returned the kickoff for 7 and also drew a personal foul on a punt that sustained a drive which I think went for their only other 7. The tide really turned in the second half. DB couldn't adjust to the booming punts from WB and that caused them to mishandle several kicks adding to the flipped field position. It all got capped off at the end of the game with DB turning it over on about their own 5.

Overall, good game. WB looks good and I sure hope that Walker is okay. DB has a lot of potential and will fare just fine in their region.

I think the O-line for WB must have been letting DB blitz free on the outside just so they could counter with the little dump pass behind the LB's . You can't block 6 with 5 on most plays,so that's what I think the scheme was for.WB did hit the run straight up the middle on one drive .A team with a O-line like WB's and a {big running back} will make it hard on us. The D-line for DB is small but they sure get after people. I don't know if JS {2}is 100% for us are not.We need someone that will give 100% while on the field if he is hurt.