MBA vs Independence

johnooos

Tnsparty, I did not ever have a problem with Indy. I told you that. By the way if you check the SH threads, they are much worse this year.

I hope that Indy does well. One of the issues that I have is people who live in our district and work in our district but our school is not good enough for their kids.

Speaking of boundaries...any truth to Indy being over 2000 students soon?

Dog,

I knew where your problem was at and I was just sticking up for my son's team's coach. Most of our jousting was in fun, at least I thought anyway. I don't see how they can fit 2000 student in that school. Plus they are building a new one near Chapman's to pull some from their. I occasionally check out the SH threads and stay out of it except to poke at Waco...lol. Seriously, if you make it to an IHS game, stop by the press box. I'll be in there keeping stats. You can't miss me...lol

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see Indy win this one, but the odds are stacked against them some when you play a team of "hired guns".

with this statement I assume you are implying that MBA recruits. I can tell you right now that recruiting does not happen at MBA. That is a reason that Ricky Bowers left for ensworth. He wanted some say in the addmission process to get some of his kids in. He was denied any say so in who gets in and who doesnt. It is purely academic. so to use the phrase "hired guns" it not only ignorant, but you are assuming that jus because a small private school is good they must recruit. MBA, as with many other private schools, win their games by working harder, being stronger, being better conditioned, and being better coached then most of the public schools. the only advantage schools like MBA has is the money. They are able to hire and retain outstanding coaches, they have outstanding facilities. When MBA renovated their facilities a few years ago, the trainer they had was a florida grad. Some of the then titans like jevon kearse, and kevin carter who went to florida would come work out here, and they said MBA has/had the best highschool facilities they had ever seen. they claimed that the MBA facilities rivaled the college and pro facilities they had been in.

Please, let's all stop with the scemantics. It is what it is. Private schools can pull athletes or anyone to their school regardless of where they live. They also can offer financial aid to anyone they want. That is an advantage. Don't give me that private schools work harder. That is not always true. Any time someone says the R word there is always an uproar. Have them put zone lines around your school then when someone say the R word you might get some sympathy.

Private schools definitely don't have anything to complain about. They normally have superior academics and facilities and can attract kids without being restricted by zones, etc. Sure, private schools have tons of advantages. But don't forget that a public school gets to choose from a talent pool of like 500+ boys where some of these private schools only have 250 boys. That's a tremendous difference. With those kind of numbers public schools have NOTHING to complain about. At the end of the day it evens out as each side has their own advantages.

Private schools definitely don't have anything to complain about. They normally have superior academics and facilities and can attract kids without being restricted by zones, etc. Sure, private schools have tons of advantages. But don't forget that a public school gets to choose from a talent pool of like 500+ boys where some of these private schools only have 250 boys. That's a tremendous difference. With those kind of numbers public schools have NOTHING to complain about. At the end of the day it evens out as each side has their own advantages.

And....I would totally disagree....MONEY...MONEY is the difference. The key is eventual separation and kill the multiplier. I respect your opinion no matter how wrong it is.

Now back to the game. Any predictions? I'm seeing Indy here in a close one that's going to be decided in the 4th quarter. If the line can't protect Cordell this week, he'll have to have poise back there in the backfield to look for those quick passes to Veres, Parker, or Baugh. Indy's going to have to establish the run also. Pettigrew didn't look close to 100% out there. The question is, who do they put back there. Eubanks really doesn't want to overwork Consiglio, but he could work Josh Bailey or Brett Meaker back there. Indy's offense will have to click if they want to win.

i couldn't agree with you more on your comments. however one thing that people are doing more and more is blaming a weak line. if the coaches think it is weak they should have plays to adjust but i can't agree with alot of people on how weak the line is. There were numerous times cordell had time to get rid of the ball but he panicked. If he thinks a rush is coming his legs crumble and he throws off his back foot every time. A high school QB is built to take hits every once in a while. A few times in the BA game he even had chances to scramble but chose to throw into the ground or take a 10-15 yrd loss. No matter how slow he MIGHT be a few yrds gained is better than a loss of down or loss of yards. If he is not able to stay in the pocket and shed off tackles with out crumbling from an arm tackle or side stepping someone coming to hit him then the eagles will be in trouble because they wont have an athlete as there QB and his future won't be good for college football or for the Eagles playoff hopes. He had all summer to improve and what was seen in the BA game was the same if not worse foot machanics than last year. But what with you saying it will be close i agree unless they come up out playing there game. Using all their threats and the defense doing what they always do i see Indy taking it by 10 to 14.

Now back to the game. Any predictions? I'm seeing Indy here in a close one that's going to be decided in the 4th quarter. If the line can't protect Cordell this week, he'll have to have poise back there in the backfield to look for those quick passes to Veres, Parker, or Baugh. Indy's going to have to establish the run also. Pettigrew didn't look close to 100% out there. The question is, who do they put back there. Eubanks really doesn't want to overwork Consiglio, but he could work Josh Bailey or Brett Meaker back there. Indy's offense will have to click if they want to win.

i couldn't agree with you more on your comments. however one thing that people are doing more and more is blaming a weak line. if the coaches think it is weak they should have plays to adjust but i can't agree with alot of people on how weak the line is. There were numerous times cordell had time to get rid of the ball but he panicked. If he thinks a rush is coming his legs crumble and he throws off his back foot every time. A high school QB is built to take hits every once in a while. A few times in the BA game he even had chances to scramble but chose to throw into the ground or take a 10-15 yrd loss. No matter how slow he MIGHT be a few yrds gained is better than a loss of down or loss of yards. If he is not able to stay in the pocket and shed off tackles with out crumbling from an arm tackle or side stepping someone coming to hit him then the eagles will be in trouble because they wont have an athlete as there QB and his future won't be good for college football or for the Eagles playoff hopes. He had all summer to improve and what was seen in the BA game was the same if not worse foot machanics than last year. But what with you saying it will be close i agree unless they come up out playing there game. Using all their threats and the defense doing what they always do i see Indy taking it by 10 to 14.

Please, let's all stop with the scemantics. It is what it is. Private schools can pull athletes or anyone to their school regardless of where they live. They also can offer financial aid to anyone they want. That is an advantage. Don't give me that private schools work harder. That is not always true. Any time someone says the R word there is always an uproar. Have them put zone lines around your school then when someone say the R word you might get some sympathy.

Your statement about financial aid being given to anyone anytime is simply wrong. All financial aid is monitored by a third party and the rules are set and in place. Its amazing how blanket statements are made about private schools in reaction to a football game or any sport for that matter. I have had many children go through private schools and the rules are the same for everybody. No child of mine ever attended MBA, so now we know there are two private schools in Nashville that follow the rules. I am not speaking emotional statements based on sports, but real life experience, I have no reason on earth to not tell the truth. I heard several times over the years suggestions by boosters to coaches that they need to go after this player or that player. To the best of my knowledge, it never happened. Not only did they know that to be improper, but had been trained in the same vein. But I still have experienced multiple state championships as well. So the differences between public and private cannot be explained by a few emotional statements with no basis in fact, it is not that simple.

Everybody's doubting Independence because they lost by 3 TDs at home against BA.

Has it occurred to anyone that BA might just be the best team in the state?

I think the kids from Independence will be extremely motivated for this game...I expect Coach Bobby to have the defense ready and Consiglio to have another all-state caliber performance. I don't think stopping the run will be as much of a problem as it was last week and I look for several big hits from the linebacking corps of Rolon, Robinson, Coffey, et. al.

And those of us that were involved with the Eagle program in 2004 remember how Coach McGugin (formerly of FRA) feels about hard hits...

Offensively I expect Eubanks and Felts to have a stellar gameplan...I hope that getting the ball in Baugh's hands is a part of that gameplan, of course. You must get the ball to your playmaker.

The run may not be there often but I think it will be a nice complement to Cordell and the passing game. I think that Indy will absolutely be ready to play. Wish I could be there.

Indy 24, MBA 20.

MBA 21

IHS 0

Final stats (unofficial):

MBA: 51 rushes, 254 yards; 7-20 passing, 66 yards, 320 total yards, 0 TOs, 29:19 T.O.P.

IHS: 17 rushes, 39 yards; 11-22 passing, 146 yards, 185 total yards, 4 TOs, 18:41 T.O.P.

Cordell is not listed in the Tennessean stats. Anyone know why he didn't

play?

I'm interested as well. The MBA radio crew was interviewed on 106.7's high shcool show and they did not know either.

I don't even know how to start writing this, but from the word I got from a reliable source, Zac Cordell is no longer enrolled at Independence High School. Not gonna say too in depth about what happened, because it is a very sad story, but he is apparently now enrolled at Overton and no longer playing football. This is indeed a very sad story: a once promising young athlete makes a few bad decisions and loses everything. I know I joked about what happened last year, but this really is a sad story.

I heard Cordell had "family issues" but you never know. His brother was at school so are both going to difference schools. I thought Smith made a valiant effort. Indy didn't seem to focus on the pass early, which was working for them in the 2nd half of the BA game. When Smith started slinging the ball, the Eagles started to click. If it wasn't for a very, very unlucky fumble by Baugh at the goal line, it would've been a different outcome.