Smyrna @ Brentwood

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brentwood with the upset. but a tough close game.

Smyrna will come out on top of course

they have alot of weapons on defense and offense

Offense:

Sonny Gray QB

Rod Wilks WR

David Sanders RB

a host of talented linemen

Defense:

David Sanders CB

Rod Wilks FS

A. Jenkins LB?/ SS

They have upcomers also who will contribute to the team

Gerreous Lisenbee: La Vergne starter 200lbs LB material

may see some action from him in this game

Darius Cane: McGavock starter 155Lbs SOLID

Talented CB averaged 2.5 ints per preseason game with McGavock

Will love to see play some offense with Smyrna also

but definitely DEFENSE

Has alot of potential a look forward person also as he is a senior this year

Smyrna will come out on top in this game

NO SHOCK AT ALL!!!

It will be a tall order for Brentwood, or anyone for that matter, to open up the season against the defending 5A champions. The Bruins have traditionally taken the measure of Smyrna, but that has started to turn the last few times out.

Biggest difference in the game is the experience of Sonny Gray and Wilkes vs. the Bruin defense.

Where the game will hinge, IMO, is the ability of Brentwood to control the ball and make plays on offense.

Bruins have a good squad this year and are very well coached. Their players know what to do and when to do it. They rarely make mental mistakes. They also will be very physical. The skill players are by and large young.

That could be the difference maker, in short, if the young skill players come to play or are intimidated by the match-up.

If they make plays, Smyrna could be in for a war. If not, Smyrna could roll over them.

I don't see much of a difference in the outcome of this game compared to last year's.

Offense:

Sonny Gray QB

Rod Wilks WR

David Sanders RB

Defense:

David Sanders CB

Rod Wilks FS

A. Jenkins LB?/ SS

but definitely DEFENSE

NO SHOCK AT ALL!!!

Huh? I haven't heard of these guys before? What grade are they in?

Brentwood is rebuilding. They suffered some b/c of the opening of both Ravenwood and Indy. You know Crawford gets everything possible out of his players. They will be physical and they will be disciplined. I just don't think they have much of a shot of beating Smyrna.

Brentwood suffered because of Ravenwood is ok statement but Brentwood was open zone up to 2007. Indy is on the far south of Williamson County. Franklin & more likely Centennial suffer some because of Indy.

Most of the neighborhoods of these kids attending Indy and Ravenwood didn't exist a few years ago as well as Brentwood, Centennial, and Franklin. The zoning pattern is constant moving target with another High School slated south of Franklin around I-65 & I-840 in 2009 with additional one around Triune/Nolensville in 2011. It's no difference than most counties with high growth in Middle Tennessee like Wilson & Rutherford.

This years team is a different team for Smyrna

last year was very balanced run and pass

this year smyrna may pass 70% of the time or more. We have in my opinion the best hs qb in the area (gray) and maybe the state with a division one receiver (wilkes) and also 3 other senior receivers

Gray - senior 3 yr starter at qb (all state type)

Wilkes -senior 3yr starter at wr (D1)

Everyone knows about Wilkes but heres something else that helps we start 3 other senior receivers all 3 year starters.

We have 5 receivers that caught td passes last year

In wilkes last 3 games - 8 td passes and one kick off return for a td

I guess that covers why smyrna may throw it a few times in 07

Brentwood's student population dropped from around 1800 to around 1300 or less when Ravenwood opened up.

Brentwood was open zoned primarily for students attending Franklin High School to relieve the overcrowding at FHS while it was being refurbished. It was done because BHS had room and Franklin was in an over-capacity situation.

Open zoning was extremely regulated due to athletic concerns from the Franklin board members. Students who wished to inquire about BHS had to contact the prinicpal's office during a finite period of time, meet with the prinicipal, and then get a release from the prinicipal at FHS before they could attend. No mention, no open house, no information desk could be set up at any of the Franklin feeder middle schools. No coaches, no athletic interests could contact the incoming students. The board told BHS, in no uncertain terms, that would be watching for any "recruiting" by BHS. The word came down strongly from the BHS AD that know recruiting or anything approaching recruiting by BHS faculty or athletic interests would not be tolerated. Word of mouth was basically the tool that was used to inform students about the ability to move to BHS. Current high school athletes would have to sit out a year, per TSSAA rules.

What did it mean for BHS athletics? A few of them came rather than go to Franklin. More non-athletes came than athletes. At no point did it involve more than 30 students in total.

Athletically, BHS has continued to prosper, winning at least one state title in athletics every year since 1997. That, and being the top non-selective academic high school in the state for the last five years has kept enrollment steady.

Offense:

Sonny Gray QB

Rod Wilks WR

David Sanders RB

Defense:

David Sanders CB

Rod Wilks FS

A. Jenkins LB?/ SS

but definitely DEFENSE

NO SHOCK AT ALL!!!

Lets get some of this page corrected. First of all I think Smyrna wins to much talent. Next Lisanbee only played on the freshman team at Lavergne because he was dismissed from the team that spring and then he attended Whites Creek the next season and now he is back. How many moves did he have?

Just read Murphy Fairs book (which can be a little dated by the time it comes out)

Brentwood sounds like they have a lot of big lineman

In the article it named 4 qbs vying for the spot - did a starter ever emerge?

Who are the skill people for them this year the article named a few but really gave no clue on who?

Smyrna as I noted earlier returns a 3 yr starter at qb in gray and starts 4 senior wide receivers including rod wilkes so the ball will be in the air. For those who didn't get to see Gray he reminds me of Whittemore(sp?) that played for you guys few years ago. Very cool in the pocket but can run if needed. I thought Whittemore was the best hs qb I had seen ---------------------- until gray came along (I could be biased though)

should be a hard fought close game by 2 well coached teams