Experiencing Out-of-State Football

Purple & Gold Standard

I had some free time on my hands this weekend seeing as how the team I follow doesn't open their season until next weekend(8-31)so I headed up to Mayfield,Ky to Graves County High School and watched the Alliance Bowl....It was actually a two day deal played at Mayfield High School and GC's new football stadium they just built this past summer....Night One had Chattanooga McCallie taking on Marshall Co,Ky....McCallie wound up winning the game 31-14 after the game being pretty tight at 14-7 midway thru the 3rd qtr....Heard alot of folks talking and in particular sportswriters saying they were not too impressed by the Chattanooga team...The nightcap saw Kentucky 1A power Mayfield beat Heath,Ky 28-6....Night two saw Massac Co.,Ill taking on Chrittenden Co.Ky and it was a big blowout....Massac has gone to the spread offense and chunked the ball all over the field and ended up winning the game 63-0...The last game was well worth the wait and the heat...Graves County opened up their new stadium in style with a thrilling 48-41 win over Fort Campbell,Ky....FC is a 2A school and I heard some say last night they have a chance in making the championship game in Louisville in December...They had a team full of athletes and made a real good comeback on one of the larger schools in Kentucky...Graves is a 6A school in KY and made it to the second round of the KY playoffs last year and have some 21 seniors returning...If you get the chance you need to go watch some out-of-state football..It's fun trying to figure out how the team you follow or any in-state school would do against those opponents....

Next Friday after going over to UTM to see Union City take on Martin Westview,me,my brother and my two sons are heading up to Cincinnati to watch some highly ranked high school teams play in the Ohio vs The USA weekend....We are going to get to see Cinc St Xavier,DeMatha,MD.,Colerain,Oh.,Hoover,Ala. and Independence out of North Carolina and others..I think one of the games is going to be televised by ESPN on Sunday....

Night One had Chattanooga McCallie taking on Marshall Co,Ky....McCallie wound up winning the game 31-14 after the game being pretty tight at 14-7 midway thru the 3rd qtr....Heard alot of folks talking and in particular sportswriters saying they were not too impressed by the Chattanooga team

I hope these sports writers weren't Kentucky-based. Granted, McCallie probably is slightly down this year, but considering what happened to almighty Trinity over the past four years versus MBA - and last year in particular, with 14-1, state champ Trinity's only loss coming to a 4-6 MBA team that had its worst team in 24 years - Kentucky sports writers have no room to talk down Tennessee high school football.

I hope these sports writers weren't Kentucky-based. Granted, McCallie probably is slightly down this year, but considering what happened to almighty Trinity over the past four years versus MBA - and last year in particular, with 14-1, state champ Trinity's only loss coming to a 4-6 MBA team that had its worst team in 24 years - Kentucky sports writers have no room to talk down Tennessee high school football.

Never said they were talking down Tennessee high school football.....Of course they were Kentucky based sportswriters..It was a Kentucky event and all the teams were Kentucky teams excluding one Illinois team & McCallie.....McCallie had just been hyped up to the point that Marshall County,Ky shouldn't have shown up for the game....And they didn't live up to that heightened hype...But they still did win 31-14 and did Tennessee football proud...

Never said they were talking down Tennessee high school football.....Of course they were Kentucky based sportswriters..It was a Kentucky event and all the teams were Kentucky teams excluding one Illinois team & McCallie.....McCallie had just been hyped up to the point that Marshall County,Ky shouldn't have shown up for the game....And they didn't live up to that heightened hype...But they still did win 31-14 and did Tennessee football proud...

I'm not sure where the hype originated; my guess is it had its origins more so in Kentucky than Tennessee. McCallie was picked by the coaches to be fourth in its nine-team region. The CoachT thread on the game (link) dealt in part about the perceived weakness of Kentucky football (which would imply a McCallie victory more by "default" than just by overwhelming talent). The BluegrassPreps thread (link) didn't have many posts, but of those who posted projected margins, McCallie's actual 17-point margin of victory represents a rough average of the predicted scores (excluding one projection of a Marshall County win).

Greeneville will be at Mercer County Kentucky, defending 2A champs. We got a shock this week when we found out that Kentucky has gone from three classifications to six and Mercer is 5A. Apparently they had consolodated and did not move up till the new classification system was implemented. We are a 3A team that plays 4A (915 students)

We will play hard this week regardless of the results.

I had some free time on my hands this weekend seeing as how the team I follow doesn't open their season until next weekend(8-31)so I headed up to Mayfield,Ky to Graves County High School and watched the Alliance Bowl....It was actually a two day deal played at Mayfield High School and GC's new football stadium they just built this past summer....Night One had Chattanooga McCallie taking on Marshall Co,Ky....McCallie wound up winning the game 31-14 after the game being pretty tight at 14-7 midway thru the 3rd qtr....Heard alot of folks talking and in particular sportswriters saying they were not too impressed by the Chattanooga team...The nightcap saw Kentucky 1A power Mayfield beat Heath,Ky 28-6....Night two saw Massac Co.,Ill taking on Chrittenden Co.Ky and it was a big blowout....Massac has gone to the spread offense and chunked the ball all over the field and ended up winning the game 63-0...The last game was well worth the wait and the heat...Graves County opened up their new stadium in style with a thrilling 48-41 win over Fort Campbell,Ky....FC is a 2A school and I heard some say last night they have a chance in making the championship game in Louisville in December...They had a team full of athletes and made a real good comeback on one of the larger schools in Kentucky...Graves is a 6A school in KY and made it to the second round of the KY playoffs last year and have some 21 seniors returning...If you get the chance you need to go watch some out-of-state football..It's fun trying to figure out how the team you follow or any in-state school would do against those opponents....

Next Friday after going over to UTM to see Union City take on Martin Westview,me,my brother and my two sons are heading up to Cincinnati to watch some highly ranked high school teams play in the Ohio vs The USA weekend....We are going to get to see Cinc St Xavier,DeMatha,MD.,Colerain,Oh.,Hoover,Ala. and Independence out of North Carolina and others..I think one of the games is going to be televised by ESPN on Sunday....

I used to live in Ohio, and you're definately going to see some great football games played in the Ohio vs The USA challenge by Kirk Herbstriet. Ohio has some amazing High School programs such as Colerain, St. Xavier, Moeller, Massilon, Centerville, and Glenville who get national hype every year.

I'm not sure where the hype originated; my guess is it had its origins more so in Kentucky than Tennessee. McCallie was picked by the coaches to be fourth in its nine-team region. The CoachT thread on the game (link) dealt in part about the perceived weakness of Kentucky football (which would imply a McCallie victory more by "default" than just by overwhelming talent). The BluegrassPreps thread (link) didn't have many posts, but of those who posted projected margins, McCallie's actual 17-point margin of victory represents a rough average of the predicted scores (excluding one projection of a Marshall County win).

You're assuming that sportswriters covering high school athletics actually do some homework. Demonstrably not true, especially for out-of-state teams. I doubt many (any?) Tennessee sprtswriters could accurately rank Kentucky teams either, except by seeing how they did last year.

There is no doubt that most active CoachT'ers are far more aware of what's going on in high school sports than the many sportwriters who "cover" them. In my experience, most of the writers (there are a couple of exceptions)assigned to cover high school are pretty lazy. It's why they cover high school and not something else.