Has any Teams played ranked teams outside of TN

DBDAD

From another thread, I made a comment that I thought MBA had played some teams from outside the state that were Ranked in the nation, some years ago.It may not have been MBA,and I just wondered if any schools had played a ranked team from GA,ALA or any other state and how they done

Trinity in 2003--the year Brohm was on the cover of SI--was definitely highly ranked. I think they fell off pretty quickly while playing a brutal schedule, including current #1 Cincinatti St. X. They fell (I think) to 0-3 before winning out and winning state in KY.

More recently (and forgetable) was the clinic bowl loss to Byrnes, SC in 2005. They were nationally ranked at the time.

Agree w/ Redtwin--don't think Bolles was ranked at the time in '99 or '00 when we played them, despite their reputation...

BA played some huge out-of-state games in the 80s-90s, including Pascagoula, MS, in 1989...and later Cincinatti Moeller. I think they also played Montgomery (AL) Lee at some point.

MBA and BA have definitely carried the banner for TN in this department over the years.

I, too, do not think Bolles (FL) was nationally ranked when they lost to MBA in Nashville in 1999. Four years earlier, Bolles was ranked at the top of the USA Today rankings for much of the 1995 season before a late regular season loss and finished at #12 that year. Nevertheless, that was apparently a quality win for MBA, as it launched MBA into the national rankings after that game.

Another ranked national power that has played Tennessee schools recently is South Panola (MS), which played Germantown and G.W. Carver in 2005 and 2006.

Outside of Tennessee, I'll be interested to see how Trinity (KY) fares against Cincinnati St. X, which is currently number one in some rankings, in a few weeks. Trinity last lost to Cincy St. X 17-24 the week after MBA beat them 17-13 in 2003. That was with Brian Brohm. Trinity will be stretched in that game this time around.