Volunteer?

AnswertheBell

After watching last nights game, I think that:

1) Volunteer is a decent team.

2) Volunteer had chances to make plays, they didnt and Cocke County did.

a) They dropped at least 4, maybe 5 passes that would have been good for a 10+ yard gain.

Before the final drive in regulation, Volunteer had around 5 plays inside the 10 and gained minimal yardage

c) Volunteer's offense was very ineffective on third down - especially third and short.

d) Cocke County was +2 in turnover margin - and frankly should've been +3, as the lone Cocke County fumble/turnover appeared to be recovered out of bounds.

3) Volunteer should be ok in terms of the Regional race. They endured a slow start last year as well and the Five Rivers Conference isnt as strong.

As an aside, does anyone know what Coach Rider was so upset at and drew the flag at halftime?

Just because you write does not mean you are right. The conference is balanced not down. You are also the same guy that pumped up greeneville to win the region before friday and the same guy who picked cocke co. to "stir things up" last year.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you write does not mean you are right. The conference is balanced not down. You are also the same guy that pumped up greeneville to win the region before friday and the same guy who picked cocke co. to "stir things up" last year.

That's your take, and thats fine. We all have opinions. After all, this is a discussion board, not an agreement board. Nor, do I ever claim that my opinion is correct.

That said...

I do think that the conference is down, compared to recent years. I say that because the teams at the top look to have fallen back to the pack, which brings the overall conference strength down.

West isnt West of the past two seasons, and about every year this decade except 2004.

East doesn't appear to be as strong as last year, out of the gate.

Cherokee looks to be a bit down from their recent levels.

Volunteer starts 19 or 20 returning seniors, and starts the season 0-2.

Greeneville looked to be a pretty darn good 1-1 team entering Week 2, but credit to Boone, they had a very good gameplan. Boone's ability to run the football successfully, regardless if its Sky Hicks, Cameron Jarrett or Mitch Masters, makes them a very real and dangerous threat to contend in the conference each season.

Balanced? Perhaps. But I dont see that because the traditionally lower level teams have risen to the occasion, but because the upper echelon of the conference appears to have fallen back to the pack a little through three weeks of the 2007 season.

West is down talent wise but new coaches in the conference have brought other programs up. East is not last years team and neither is west BUT Crockett,Boone,Cocke co. and Greeneville are all better and I think Cherokee and volunteer are about the same. No we don't have west at 3-0 and ranked 2nd in the state but I never thought they were 2nd in the state even when ranked there. Will Region 2 give region 1 all they want in the playoffs? YES. Will Region 2 beat someone from region 3? NO. Same as every year.

West is down talent wise but new coaches in the conference have brought other programs up. East is not last years team and neither is west BUT Crockett,Boone,Cocke co. and Greeneville are all better and I think Cherokee and volunteer are about the same. No we don't have west at 3-0 and ranked 2nd in the state but I never thought they were 2nd in the state even when ranked there. Will Region 2 give region 1 all they want in the playoffs? YES. Will Region 2 beat someone from region 3? NO. Same as every year.

Lets just hope that the region doesn't beat up on each other and that one team runs the table at 7-0 and the other 7 finish at 3-4.

Those tiebreakers would get interesting, as they did in girls basketball.

Lets just hope that the region doesn't beat up on each other and that one team runs the table at 7-0 and the other 7 finish at 3-4.

Those tiebreakers would get interesting, as they did in girls basketball.

I would be shocked if anyone runs the table. I think we will see a 3 way tie at the top before we see a 7-0. JMO.

You're right. I was making a joke.

I would say 6-1 should win the conference, but if its this competitive as the season continues, 5-2 may win it.

I don't believe anyone at all can predict the season yet, it may be a totally unbelievable ending.

What ever happened to the Volunteer team I hope will be corrected, everyone who was at the 2 games knows

the Falcons should have won both of them---but bad throws, and silly mistakes took control. Cocke county did not look all that good and won by just luck this time. GO FALCONS Get it togather. Look at last season.

I dont think the game was won or lost on luck.

Granted, CC was outgained by around 50-60 yards by Volunteer and didnt spend a good portion of the first half in their opponents territory.

However, Volunteer's ineffectiveness on third downs (1 of 10 - with the one conversion coming on their last series of regulation), especially third and short, really hurt them in the game.

In viewing the third and shorts, Volunteer couldnt move the ball at all, despite their ease of moving it on first and second downs. Volunteer also couldnt move it inside the 10, which appeared to be a result of a good scout from the CC coaches.

I dont think the game was won or lost on luck.

Granted, CC was outgained by around 50-60 yards by Volunteer and didnt spend a good portion of the first half in their opponents territory.

However, Volunteer's ineffectiveness on third downs (1 of 10 - with the one conversion coming on their last series of regulation), especially third and short, really hurt them in the game.

In viewing the third and shorts, Volunteer couldnt move the ball at all, despite their ease of moving it on first and second downs. Volunteer also couldnt move it inside the 10, which appeared to be a result of a good scout from the CC coaches.

I still maintain the luck issue, it was luck for Cocke County that Volunteer was off their game or the score would certainly been different. In fact the score would have been different if the Falcons had made the field goal that

was missed along with all the other miscues they had. I don't know who you are a PT Sports Writer for but

I don't think its from this area. Unless it is TCS.com. We've beat last weeks game to pieces so its time to

look ahead to this Friday night.

Will Region 2 give region 1 all they want in the playoffs? YES.

I agree canefan. With the obvious exception of Sullivan South, I think the top 3 or 4 Region 2 teams are capable of beating Region 1. Question in Region 1 is "How good is Tennessee High going to be?". In Region 2, the big question mark so far is "How well will a 'down' MoWest perform in conference play?".

I agree canefan. With the obvious exception of Sullivan South, I think the top 3 or 4 Region 2 teams are capable of beating Region 1. Question in Region 1 is "How good is Tennessee High going to be?". In Region 2, the big question mark so far is "How well will a 'down' MoWest perform in conference play?".

If you will recall, East did a number on south last year and there should have been no way that could have happened. Region 1 and 2 are both just a big guessing game. South should win region 1 but that does not give them a clear shot at maryville.

I still maintain the luck issue, it was luck for Cocke County that Volunteer was off their game or the score would certainly been different. In fact the score would have been different if the Falcons had made the field goal that

was missed along with all the other miscues they had. I don't know who you are a PT Sports Writer for but

I don't think its from this area. Unless it is TCS.com. We've beat last weeks game to pieces so its time to

look ahead to this Friday night.

Looking ahead to Friday what do you know about Clintwood and how do you think that they match-up with Volunteer?