LaVergne at Antioch

jackmoreblackson

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't pan out because they for alot of reasons. If they don't have the right attitude to work hard and stay focused on the right things they don't pan out. Most feeder programs have talent and nothing else and the players never get any bigger or better and don't pan out. Kids in middle school don't have the social life that high school kids have and get caught up in other things, other than football. Alot of high school kids don't respond to being told what to do and don't pan out. Self discipline is the key. Antioch's coaches are just as good as anyones.

The kids at Riverdale, Smyrna, LaVergne, Lebanon, and otheres all started out in middle school as well. They all seem to cope with the transition. Why is this the case?

The kids at Riverdale, Smyrna, LaVergne, Lebanon, and otheres all started out in middle school as well. They all seem to cope with the transition. Why is this the case?

First of all, you're showing some ignorance because I think Antioch has been to the playoffs more times in the last five years than LaVergne and Lebanon have, so your angle that you are working on gets shot to hades before it even starts. This is a program that nine months ago gave the then-defending state champs (a state championship that was coordinated on one side of the ball by Antioch's current head coach) a run for their money in a second round playoff game, so that suggests to me that Mike Woodward and his staff know what they are doing. They are just having a rough go of it right now. You say that these Antioch kids don't pan out, but I know of 6-8 kids who have come out of the Antioch program who are still playing college ball. How many kids at some of those other schools you listed are doing that??

Secondly, there are some demographic factors on why Antioch has some struggles. One of which is the fact that the community has changed in a lot of ways in the past 10 years, and not all for the better. And I don't mean that in an ugly way. I graduated in 1999 (second class at the new building) from AHS and the fact remains that that school is totally different than it was in 1995, when I stepped into the facility on Blue Hole Road as a 14 year old. You have a lot of these kids now who come from single parent households who have moved out to Antioch from the inner-city and still have some of that pull from the streets, or they are having to help support a situation financially at home, or both (which you know what that means). A lot of those kids have way more on their minds than playing football. When I was there, a lot of the guys had outstanding parental support coming from home. Now, I'm not so sure.

Trust me, Antioch has had some good coaches (Buddy Brown and Mike Woodward are excellent coaches) and Woodward will get it turned around there, I promise you that. He's just at that phase where things may have to get a little worse to get a lot better!!

But I think you are being totally unfair in your assessment of Antioch's struggles being a coaching issue.

Personally, I think Buddy Brown was a weak coach and frankly, he shouldn't have got the job...they should have gave it to assistant coach Scott Smith before they gave it to him..but whatever. Heck, they could've likely had Aydelot in all honesty.

Anyways, as for this discussion, Antioch doesn't really have a problem so much right now with anything other than key possessions are young right now. The main key position being quarterback. Terrence Davis has a lot of room to grow and then getting suspended didn't help. I did feel that Pruitt did a good job last week at Hunters Lane considering the circumstances. They also don't have a real sufficient running game right now or the best offensive line.

But, they do have a good defense and can make plays. As a AHS alum [96], I expect Antioch to give a fight because of their defense but being realistic, this will be a hard game to win cause Lavergne's got enough on both sides and I think Lavergne is a very seriously underrated team this year.

Personally, I think Buddy Brown was a weak coach and frankly, he shouldn't have got the job...they should have gave it to assistant coach Scott Smith before they gave it to him..but whatever. Heck, they could've likely had Aydelot in all honesty.

Anyways, as for this discussion, Antioch doesn't really have a problem so much right now with anything other than key possessions are young right now. The main key position being quarterback. Terrence Davis has a lot of room to grow and then getting suspended didn't help. I did feel that Pruitt did a good job last week at Hunters Lane considering the circumstances. They also don't have a real sufficient running game right now or the best offensive line.

But, they do have a good defense and can make plays. As a AHS alum [96], I expect Antioch to give a fight because of their defense but being realistic, this will be a hard game to win cause Lavergne's got enough on both sides and I think Lavergne is a very seriously underrated team this year.

Hey Jesse, Coach A was at Hillsboro, you could have went there,and when you graduated went to Lipscomb University and played soccer for Coach Smith. You could have had your cake and eaten it too.But, if you had been there the next year,after graduating high school, you would have seen Antioch go to the playoffs for the first time in the school's history. Then two years later,had you been there, go to the playoffs two years in a row. Sorry,man. Best wishes and much success to you., Coach.

La Vergne rolls past Antioch in this rivalry....35-13. Not taking anything away from Antioch, because in the day, they were awesome. Because of the logistics of where they are located.....La Vergne rolls all over them. Cane Ridge? That's gonna hurt them too! I hope La Vergne doesn't take them too lightly or the match-up could be close. But it will be a great home game none-the-less...right down the road....La Vergne Wolverines rip AHS!!!!