BA vs Smyrna 2007

WarriorFan

It is a fact that BA's last coach would only play at a level that he thought would give him the best chance to win a state championship. Won championships at different classes because of this, FACT.

You can dislike BA's former coach ( . . . take a number), but to suggest that he only played at a level that he thought would give him the best chance to win a chanmpionship is wrong. He was the reason that BA continued to push up in divisions when thier school size didn't dictate the change. Now if your statement is being made to suggesting that by voluntarily moving up in divisions, he was seeking the best competition to make his team better then I'd agree.

This game should be a good one and should be a lot of fun to watch.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can dislike BA's former coach ( . . . take a number), but to suggest that he only played at a level that he thought would give him the best chance to win a chanmpionship is wrong. He was the reason that BA continued to push up in divisions when thier school size didn't dictate the change. Now if your statement is being made to suggesting that by voluntarily moving up in divisions, he was seeking the best competition to make his team better then I'd agree.

This game should be a good one and should be a lot of fun to watch.

As a person I have no problem with him. I will always as a coach believe that he would decide what classification he could win at and play at that level. Why else play 2A one year ,play 4A the next,then 5A, only to go back down to 2A.I think he is a very good coach,but he just wanted to win and would pick where the chances were best. I do not buy the theory that he was trying to play a more competitive team to get better. He is not the only coach to do this so ,his high school coach did the same thing. Alot of schools have played up/down depending on talent and winning.

As a person I have no problem with him. I will always as a coach believe that he would decide what classification he could win at and play at that level. Why else play 2A one year ,play 4A the next,then 5A, only to go back down to 2A.I think he is a very good coach,but he just wanted to win and would pick where the chances were best. I do not buy the theory that he was trying to play a more competitive team to get better. He is not the only coach to do this so ,his high school coach did the same thing. Alot of schools have played up/down depending on talent and winning.

I must have missed that year that BA went from 5A to 2A!

Maybe that did not happen,but I'm sure you get the main point of the post.

As others have correctly pointed out, BA has only ever gone up in classification. Why would a school seek a higher classification? The only logical answer is to find stronger competition (unless you are somehow suggesting that the lower classifications were tougher than the higher??). I agree that he picked where he ultimately thought his chances were best . . . he believed that his chances were best by taking on the best -- a philosophy that a lot of schools (inlcuding Smyrna, Ravenwood, Independence and many others) seem to agree with as evidenced by scheduling a tough out of conference schedule. BA may not win on Friday, but they will be a become a better team by playing Smyrna which will help as they take on conference foes like Baylor, MBA and Christian Brothers. Flatt understood that which is one reason for BA's success over the years.

As others have correctly pointed out, BA has only ever gone up in classification. Why would a school seek a higher classification? The only logical answer is to find stronger competition (unless you are somehow suggesting that the lower classifications were tougher than the higher??). I agree that he picked where he ultimately thought his chances were best . . . he believed that his chances were best by taking on the best -- a philosophy that a lot of schools (inlcuding Smyrna, Ravenwood, Independence and many others) seem to agree with as evidenced by scheduling a tough out of conference schedule. BA may not win on Friday, but they will be a become a better team by playing Smyrna which will help as they take on conference foes like Baylor, MBA and Christian Brothers. Flatt understood that which is one reason for BA's success over the years.

I enjoy discussing these topics with you guys. I admire your loyalty to BA. I enjoy the disagreements.I understand your thoughts and I hope we can continue to agree to disagree. That is what makes the world go around. I do think it will be a good game.

I'm sure that Smyrna will be very motivated for this game after coming off a major upset. But BA will not overlook them. It's hard to do that against the defending 5A state champs with one of the best offenses around.

Will Josh Day play this Friday for Smyrna? I had read that he did not play against Lebanon.

I have to pick BA to win this game. Their defense is talented enough to contain Smyrna's offense.

This game will feature two of the top recruits in the state in Chris Jordan & Rodriguez Wilks. Should be exciting!

josh day has a surgury this friday

I enjoy discussing these topics with you guys. I admire your loyalty to BA. I enjoy the disagreements.I understand your thoughts and I hope we can continue to agree to disagree. That is what makes the world go around. I do think it will be a good game.

. . . that we agree on!

Sir, you have no idea what you are talking about regarding BA's "last coach". BA has NEVER gone down in classification. They have gone from 1A to 2A to 4A (when reclassification to 5 classes occured) to 5A to DII(when they were forced out of 5A). The one classification that they did not win was 4A, as they were beaten by a really good Cleveland team. Despite NOT winning, they moved up to 5A by choice. BA hs played the most out of state major programs of ANY school I can think of. My guess is they have played against the most USA Today top 25 teams nationwide than any other team in the state. MBA may be in the running, but I am not sure.

Sir, you have no idea what you are talking about regarding BA's "last coach". BA has NEVER gone down in classification. They have gone from 1A to 2A to 4A (when reclassification to 5 classes occured) to 5A to DII(when they were forced out of 5A). The one classification that they did not win was 4A, as they were beaten by a really good Cleveland team. Despite NOT winning, they moved up to 5A by choice. BA hs played the most out of state major programs of ANY school I can think of. My guess is they have played against the most USA Today top 25 teams nationwide than any other team in the state. MBA may be in the running, but I am not sure.

Interesting contrast to "runtheball". Brandon presented facts to back up his point. Also, just as a crazy wild bonus, he made the facts accurate.