Teams w/no Club players compared to those with.....

cchssoccer

The one thing about club verses high school is coaching some coaches at the club level have there own way of doing thing and then when the kids get to high school they are totaly confussed about what they need to do. That why I think club coaches should be more open to playing poeple in differrent spot and formation they should also check out the high schools that there kids will be playing for and see what the coaches style of play is. I also also think at the club level they worry to much about win and loses do not get me wrong I think there is some importance to it but that should not be what it is all about. The last thing that hurts these kids is the skills I have seen a lot of practice ( I coach at the club level) and when you are out there watching other coaches they go right into the field play, what ever happen to having skills for the first 15 to 20 min of practice. Alot of these kids can score but they do not have alot of ball skills I think that should come before anything else they learn a the club level it would help them as they go on to high school. I think club could realy help the high school level it they would just work together.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing about club verses high school is coaching some coaches at the club level have there own way of doing thing and then when the kids get to high school they are totaly confussed about what they need to do. That why I think club coaches should be more open to playing poeple in differrent spot and formation they should also check out the high schools that there kids will be playing for and see what the coaches style of play is. I also also think at the club level they worry to much about win and loses do not get me wrong I think there is some importance to it but that should not be what it is all about. The last thing that hurts these kids is the skills I have seen a lot of practice ( I coach at the club level) and when you are out there watching other coaches they go right into the field play, what ever happen to having skills for the first 15 to 20 min of practice. Alot of these kids can score but they do not have alot of ball skills I think that should come before anything else they learn a the club level it would help them as they go on to high school. I think club could realy help the high school level it they would just work together.

Agree with you on many levels. Certainly it's hard to argue against working together and having some skills element incorporated into your training (even NFL teams start practices with skill work). One thought about the different coaching styles. I have heard it said that it is advantageous for a young player to be exposed to different styles because it broadens their knowledge, makes them more flexible, mentally tough, etc. etc. As a club coach, what do you think about that theory?

I understand the sentiment here, but disagree with the basis of some of it. For one the club coaches are not (although it works out that way sometimes for the Hgih School teams) feeder programs established for the High Schools. Club coaches should not adapt their style of play to the High School, for one reason only the very fortunate High Schools have coaches that are knowledgable enough to establish a workable/winning style of play. High School players should be able to adapt to new styles of play. It is the responsibility of coaches, both club and High School to be able to adequately teach their style or multiple styles. My daughters club team has girls from 12-14 different High Schools so it is not possible to copy all of those styles.

Club soccer, when done right is a progressive/dynamic program that builds upon what was learned at the younger ages. Early on the primary focus should be on footskill development and learning the basics of the game. As the player progresses through the age groups more time should be spent on the more developed skills that utilize those skills learned before. At some point winning should become more of a focus (and with these athletes if you have to encourage them to want to win they probably are in the wrong place) along with teaching tactics and strategy. While the drills that they work on are utilizing old skills and teaching new skills, they do not need to be dribbling through cones and doing the things that they did at younger age groups. If they didn't learn the early skills they will likely not be successful at the new ones. Kind of like trying to do Calculus without undertsanding basic math.

I think there is definitely a place for both of these programs, school and club, and give thanks for both. My daughter has learned things from and enjoys both. But a main issue is that with the time restrictions placed upon High School programs by the TSSAA, school coaches do not have the time to teach kids to play soccer. If they can not dribble a ball when they get there, the school team is way behind the 8 ball compared to the programs that have skilled players coming to them.

Kickgrass your daughters club team would be the eception. In northeast tennessee we do not have that many options are far as High schools. I will say that the club level has its up and downs alot of college coaches do look at the club level first they also do look a the High schools to so be able to play both sides of this is very good mentaly for kids but it take alot to be able to seperate the two. I will disagree with you with the knowledge of high school soccer coaches for example you take Oak Ridge who has OJ Sheppard as there head coach as a club coach I would love to be able to take some of those kids and adapt his system into what I do as a club coach, there are other you could name even up here in northeast tennessee When Bill Mcloskey( now at smyrna) was here that was someone who knew the game and you could learn alot from him. As far as the winning part I do agree that you should at some point think about winning but what tends to happen is you get U9 & U10 age kids that all the coach has grounded in to them you got to win instead of at that age you should enjoy the game and learn the proper skills and develope so when you get to the older ages who still enjoy the game and it not totaly about winning.

Kickgrass your daughters club team would be the eception. In northeast tennessee we do not have that many options are far as High schools. I will say that the club level has its up and downs alot of college coaches do look at the club level first they also do look a the High schools to so be able to play both sides of this is very good mentaly for kids but it take alot to be able to seperate the two. I will disagree with you with the knowledge of high school soccer coaches for example you take Oak Ridge who has OJ Sheppard as there head coach as a club coach I would love to be able to take some of those kids and adapt his system into what I do as a club coach, there are other you could name even up here in northeast tennessee When Bill Mcloskey( now at smyrna) was here that was someone who knew the game and you could learn alot from him. As far as the winning part I do agree that you should at some point think about winning but what tends to happen is you get U9 & U10 age kids that all the coach has grounded in to them you got to win instead of at that age you should enjoy the game and learn the proper skills and develope so when you get to the older ages who still enjoy the game and it not totaly about winning.

Soccerfan I agree with what you say. Don't misunderstand, I think that there are some High School coaches that are very good, that's why I made the statement about the fortunate schools having them. Across the board this may not be the case. Yet, I respect what all of the High School coaches do by giving of their time in order for the girls to have a team, even if all they know how to do is roll the balls out there. The money that these coaches get paid for the time that they commit is miniscule and they are to be commended. I also very strongly agree that at the younger age groups the club kids should be learning and developing not be overly concerned about their won-loss record. When I think the winning should come into play is when they decide if they wish to commit the time and effort to play Division 1 at the U-14 age. If they decide to go that route vs. Div 2 or 3 then winning becomes very important.