national bids not to be passed down at state level

The biggest reason to pass them down, I believe was shown this year. TN Wings finish 5th in Nationals after winning state title and Team Pride finish runner up at Nationals after not making the final four in the state tournament. Under the new rules, Team Pride would have been a D2 team I think.......something is wrong with that in my humble opinion. Hopefully I am thinking the right way here, if I'm not, someone please correct me. Thanks.

Knowing the rules Pride would have gone to a super regional and qualified. i doubt if they were unable to finish in the top 4 at states or finish high enough in a super regional to qualify for nationals, that they would have been good enough to finish 2nd. There are plenty of ways to qualify for nationals, and i think you will see more than 4 teams qualifying in most age groups

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting how some clubs are concerned that some Tennessee teams are getting beat badly at Nationals. It is not their clubs but they are concerned how it looks. They are not concerned that teams from other states are getting beat badly just Tennessee. So they say the way to fix this is take way the opportunity for some teams Tennessee to go to Nationals.

I read post on hear all the time (we are only in this to give the kids an opportunity to be seen) but which kids a small few that play for elite clubs or just ones that a certain few that control Tennessee AAU think are good enough?

You may find it hard to believe but for some kids just getting to National is major accomplishment. They have no illusion that they will win the tournament. But you know that’s the thing about being young if you have a chance there is always hope you just might play well enough to win. The hope that you will out play that team today.

To you that voted to trim the field from Tennessee I hope you are happy with your decision. You just crushed some young girls dream! You have taken a way that Dream.

Believe it or not that may have been their only chance to shine on big stage and with your vote you have taken it from them.

Some kids will not get to play on the college stage and the AAU Nationals is as close as they will get. (Correction could have been as close as they could have gotten that chance has been taken away)

My last question to you is if it’s not your team that is loosing badly why you are worried about it. If you team is finishing in the top why are you concerned about other teams.

Oh I get it! It looks bad on the state. Right, we have to worry about how it looks. We sure do not want any Tennessee team to look bad. After all that is what AAU is about looks, not the opportunity to compete?

Just some food for thought From AAU Web Site

Mission Statement

To offer amateur sports programs through a volunteer base for all people to have the physical, mental, and moral development of amateur athletes and to promote good sportsmanship and good citizenship.

Vision Statement

To offer amateur athletes and volunteers opportunities to develop to their highest level through a national and local network of sporting events. Through participation in AAU, we achieve our dreams as athletes and as valued citizens of our communities.

I will get off my soap box now I am done!

Its not paranoia if there really out to get you elitebbball

gr8sports thank you. well said!

it amazes me how grown men tiptoe around the real issues ! ... dont fall out of favor with the basketball gods or your program will falter!!!

its no secret aaus numbers are down in tennessee.! do the elites or flite or (fill in flavor of the week) care about it enough to actually vote in something that would benifit all the kids?

heres a news flash for you..........the majority of players on teams anywhere are role players god bless em!

it also amazes me that the empire still even cares about aau . is it a power trip? and ego boost? what is it?

most of the time in the older ages empire teams pick the appropriate shoe nationals over aau nationals.

nothing wrong with that............thats a choice. but why are you concerned with the way aau is run?

why do you need control of the state from that throne?

could it be you still need revenues from sub states,srts,and states to run your program? and control of aau is the only way to assure such tournys fall into your lap?

no im not going to hold back! ill make my remarks in public not behind closed doors or at dinner meetings!

who speaks for the kgc,panthers,dawgs,extreme,wings,and the countless other programs who just give there girls the best oppurtunitys they can ?

the coaches who have regular 40 hour jobs that arent basketball and yes elite i know this includes you

we dont get paid depending on our clubs ability to bring in the best players. makes it alot easier to check our motives i think!

i think thats enuff to get keep the thread going

Its not paranoia if there really out to get you elitebbball

gr8sports thank you. well said!

it amazes me how grown men tiptoe around the real issues ! ... dont fall out of favor with the basketball gods or your program will falter!!!

its no secret aaus numbers are down in tennessee.! do the elites or flite or (fill in flavor of the week) care about it enough to actually vote in something that would benifit all the kids?

heres a news flash for you..........the majority of players on teams anywhere are role players god bless em!

it also amazes me that the empire still even cares about aau . is it a power trip? and ego boost? what is it?

most of the time in the older ages empire teams pick the appropriate shoe nationals over aau nationals.

nothing wrong with that............thats a choice. but why are you concerned with the way aau is run?

why do you need control of the state from that throne?

could it be you still need revenues from sub states,srts,and states to run your program? and control of aau is the only way to assure such tournys fall into your lap?

no im not going to hold back! ill make my remarks in public not behind closed doors or at dinner meetings!

who speaks for the kgc,panthers,dawgs,extreme,wings,and the countless other programs who just give there girls the best oppurtunitys they can ?

the coaches who have regular 40 hour jobs that arent basketball and yes elite i know this includes you

we dont get paid depending on our clubs ability to bring in the best players. makes it alot easier to check our motives i think!

i think thats enuff to get keep the thread going

Last word from me Robpride, since you singled me out, and then others can continue this thread. First of all, most of the comments on this thread have come either from 2 people who were at the meeting and didn't speak up, or one who probably should have been there since he has a lot of opinions as to what is and should be going on with AAU. So I would say to all of you, come to the meetings, state your opinion, and then let the chips fall where they may.

As to why we play AAU, we fielded 16 AAU teams last year, the most of anyone in the state. No that doesn't make us any better than anyone else, but it does show a commitment to kids, and AAU, that we were able to offer these opportunities to so many kids. To tear down the integrity of an organization because you don't like who they work with on exposure events should be seen for what it is, a personal grudge.

There is no agenda with this rule and it doesn't have anything to do with big clubs, shoe companies, etc. It also has nothing to do with keeping kids from having opportunities. There is nothing wrong with the aau having a Div 1 and Div 2 format, and there is nothing wrong with having teams that want to compete at Div 1 Nationals earn that right by their performance on the court.

No one is telling any team they can't compete for the right to participate in a Div 1 tournament. They are only saying that Div 1 is for the highest level of competition, and you have to earn the right to participate in the national tournament. The alternative i guess is to scrap Div 2 and let any team register for the D 1 tournament.

Perhaps those opposed to this concept should be directing your venom at AAU instead of displaying your personal vendettas and trying to point the finger of blame against those who did come to the meeting and voted for what they felt made sense.

Last word from me Robpride, since you singled me out, and then others can continue this thread. First of all, most of the comments on this thread have come either from 2 people who were at the meeting and didn't speak up, or one who probably should have been there since he has a lot of opinions as to what is and should be going on with AAU. So I would say to all of you, come to the meetings, state your opinion, and then let the chips fall where they may.

As to why we play AAU, we fielded 16 AAU teams last year, the most of anyone in the state. No that doesn't make us any better than anyone else, but it does show a commitment to kids, and AAU, that we were able to offer these opportunities to so many kids. To tear down the integrity of an organization because you don't like who they work with on exposure events should be seen for what it is, a personal grudge.

There is no agenda with this rule and it doesn't have anything to do with big clubs, shoe companies, etc. It also has nothing to do with keeping kids from having opportunities. There is nothing wrong with the aau having a Div 1 and Div 2 format, and there is nothing wrong with having teams that want to compete at Div 1 Nationals earn that right by their performance on the court.

No one is telling any team they can't compete for the right to participate in a Div 1 tournament. They are only saying that Div 1 is for the highest level of competition, and you have to earn the right to participate in the national tournament. The alternative i guess is to scrap Div 2 and let any team register for the D 1 tournament.

Perhaps those opposed to this concept should be directing your venom at AAU instead of displaying your personal vendettas and trying to point the finger of blame against those who did come to the meeting and voted for what they felt made sense.

I am not picking at either organization. I have always enjoyed watching the KGC Lady Pride & Memphis Elite teams play over the years. Both organizations have some wonderful athletes and coaches!

I can speak from experience on this matter. I have had the opportunity to attend nationals on various levels (D1 to DII to YBOA). The girls were excited to attend "Nationals" when I attended these events. There was no less excitement for the girls depending on the level of the event.

I can honestly see both points-of-view and understand your strong position on both ends. Let's please remember though that if this NEW RULE was conducted in an "open" forum where each vote was given equal weight, then it's not any 1 person, team, or organization that is to blame for the outcome. If any 1 person could control things, then I wouldn't be worried about who is going to be the next President of the United States. I can only do what I can do!

My daughter no longer plays AAU (that is her choice). If she chooses to play AAU one day (that will be her choice). I will accept whatever rule has been implemented in whatever areana (AAU to YBOA) she chooses to participate. If her future team has a hard time qualifying for D1 nationals, then it sounds only wise to work towards the DII Nationals and so forth and so on. Attending the DII Nationals doesn't make girls any less excited for what they have achieved and realistically gives them a shot at playing and doing well against similar competition.

I personally don't want to see my daughter attend a D1 event (when we really know they aren't good enough to attend) and getting beaten by 40 to 50 points in a game. The girls only will feel like failures after such a beating. I blame a situation such as that on the coaches and parents. When they should have gotten positive encouragement to work towards goals that are achieveable, some people tell them the wrong advice because they feel its a status thing and tell them that D1 is the only way. Shame on people like that! We as adults have a responsibility to direct and guide our children to make decisions....but, they ultimately grow up by making "wise" decisions.

Everybody have a blessed day!

coach...........we also have participated in d1,d2 and yboa...........no one is taking anything away from any of these experiences

also no one (i hope) is trying to dictate that all should go to d1..........srts were put there to give more teams an opportunity to qualify for d1 so why lessen those numbers just because a few feel there effort is an embarassment to tennessee (jeeesh what a thing to say about any kids giving effort!)

believe me ive seen things from the state of tn at nationals that embarasse me much more from adults

to whom it may concern....if the shoe fits

just a few points to clarify what im trying to say

unless every team is represented at the meetings every thing will go as the empire says because simply they own to many clubs across the state prove me wrong!

youll see me at the next one..............and i hope i will see some new faces there also..............and then with total representation if the empires will is ratified...........so be it

coach...........we also have participated in d1,d2 and yboa...........no one is taking anything away from any of these experiences

also no one (i hope) is trying to dictate that all should go to d1..........srts were put there to give more teams an opportunity to qualify for d1 so why lessen those numbers just because a few feel there effort is an embarassment to tennessee (jeeesh what a thing to say about any kids giving effort!)

believe me ive seen things from the state of tn at nationals that embarasse me much more from adults

to whom it may concern....if the shoe fits

just a few points to clarify what im trying to say

unless every team is represented at the meetings every thing will go as the empire says because simply they own to many clubs across the state prove me wrong!

youll see me at the next one..............and i hope i will see some new faces there also..............and then with total representation if the empires will is ratified...........so be it

I think the correct term is the "Evil Empire".

If the SHOE fits.................that's funny.

Great Post The Coach. I have my opinion no one has to agree with me but that's the way I feel.(Eliteball) As far as the meeting if I had been invited to attend I most likely would have. I am not in the habit of crashing meetings witout a invitation.

I find it hard to understand why the change.Why is AAU having SRT's so more teams will be involed not in D2 but D1 nationals. If the concern is level of play at the National level why wouldn"t AAU at the National level stop SRT's completely and only then let the State champs get a bid to D1 National. Isn't that the way it use to be.

Maybe someone should suggest this to Eddie Clinton that way if it is a problem he can get with board and have the rule changes made to correct this. And maybe Eddie can get the rules changed about passing down bids at SRT's as well that way on the select few teams across the nation can compete for the national championship.

I wonder why that rule was put in place to pass down bids at SRT's Hym could it be the AAU wants more teams at the D1 national tournament. Shouldn't they be concerned about teams getting beaten badly and narrow the fields to only the very top 1 or 2 teams from each state

I just wonder were the money will come from when more teams quit playing AAU because of rule changes like these. Maybe the big clubs have already thought about this and have sponsorships line up to fill the vaccum.

(Eliteball) We all know about D2 and I believe the rules allow a team to try any way they can get a D1 bid and if they can not then they can play D2. And why was D2 added to get more teams playing was it not.

And you are to be commend for having that many teams and finding that may coaches but one and two team clubs should not be shut out.

By playing in a SRT before state and then coming to the state tournament and finishing in the top 2 the get two bids and thus take away another state teams chance to qualify.

I have an Idea! Maybe we can have the Sub State and state real early in the year before any SRT's are held in the state. That would fix it! Then if a team qualify's in the state for the Natinals and then wins a SRT by national rule the bid would be passed down to next team without a bid and everyone could be happy and no bids would lost in Tennessee by one team having multitable bids. What Great Idea what you think Eliteball, trottercoach and Robpride

Great Post The Coach. I have my opinion no one has to agree with me but that's the way I feel.(Eliteball) As far as the meeting if I had been invited to attend I most likely would have. I am not in the habit of crashing meetings witout a invitation.

I find it hard to understand why the change.Why is AAU having SRT's so more teams will be involed not in D2 but D1 nationals. If the concern is level of play at the National level why wouldn"t AAU at the National level stop SRT's completely and only then let the State champs get a bid to D1 National. Isn't that the way it use to be.

Maybe someone should suggest this to Eddie Clinton that way if it is a problem he can get with board and have the rule changes made to correct this. And maybe Eddie can get the rules changed about passing down bids at SRT's as well that way on the select few teams across the nation can compete for the national championship.

I wonder why that rule was put in place to pass down bids at SRT's Hym could it be the AAU wants more teams at the D1 national tournament. Shouldn't they be concerned about teams getting beaten badly and narrow the fields to only the very top 1 or 2 teams from each state

I just wonder were the money will come from when more teams quit playing AAU because of rule changes like these. Maybe the big clubs have already thought about this and have sponsorships line up to fill the vaccum.

(Eliteball) We all know about D2 and I believe the rules allow a team to try any way they can get a D1 bid and if they can not then they can play D2. And why was D2 added to get more teams playing was it not.

And you are to be commend for having that many teams and finding that may coaches but one and two team clubs should not be shut out.

By playing in a SRT before state and then coming to the state tournament and finishing in the top 2 the get two bids and thus take away another state teams chance to qualify.

I have an Idea! Maybe we can have the Sub State and state real early in the year before any SRT's are held in the state. That would fix it! Then if a team qualify's in the state for the Natinals and then wins a SRT by national rule the bid would be passed down to next team without a bid and everyone could be happy and no bids would lost in Tennessee by one team having multitable bids. What Great Idea what you think Eliteball, trottercoach and Robpride

Most of the clubs who are serious about trying to qualify for D1 nationals will go to a super regional before states to try to get their bid. More than likely there will at least 2 of them in Tennessee before states, as well as ones nearby in Huntsville, AL and Booneville, MS. Then after states there should be 2-3 weekends to try and qualify. I can remember having a team 3 years ago on the bubble of being good enough for D1 or being very competitive at D2. We got upset in our substate, thus not going to states at all. We played in a SRT in Tennessee and did not qualify. We wanted to go D1 so we found another super regional in St Charles, Louisiana, 7 hours from Memphis. We drove down on Friday, won it to get our bid, and because of a late start time for the championship game, didn't get home until 2am Monday morning. The key is we earned our way in. And FYI, the rationale behind this new rule is consistent with the national AAU thinking, and from what i hear there is talk of limiting SRT's so that they are truly regional qualifiers. I don't want to speak for Eddie, but I believe the whole reason for creating Div 2 was to not only increase the overall numbers but to put teams in the divisions that matched their talent level. But please don't put me in the position of speaking for the AAU, i'm just repeating what I have heard and observed......

I respect all of the reasons you have given for not wanting the rule changed, and my only point of contention in this whole dialogue is when it becomes a big club/small club issue. It has nothing to do with the size of your club, only the competitiveness of the team at a certain age level. I would venture to predict it won't impact how many teams go to D1 Championships from TN much at all, it will just make them go to a SRT instead of getting bids by being the 5th, 6th, or 7th best team in the state. Now i said i was gonna be quiet, so I mean it this time, unless Robpride starts calling me names.....

There have been some very valid points made here, hopefully I can add a few that haven't been brought up.

1st, I apologize, I was invited and didn't attend. I cannot recall an agenda being posted; if there was, and this topic was on it, then I missed it, because that one topic would have been worth it. I actually thought the main thrust of the meeting was to settle dates and locations of Sub States and State tournaments. My bad, I guess.

Is it possible that DII has lost some luster because too many teams can qualify for D1? I mean, if 9 teams can qualify for Nationals (as the 15U group did this past year), then DII would hold very little in the way of interest. Or am I being too cynical there? And someone's point I think was that there might be too much emphasis put on going to D1. Well if 9 teams make it, and you don't, then how does that make you feel? Not sure.

One drawback I see to DII is that, at least for the upper age brackets, they are usually in Orlando. Orlando is an expensive place to spend a week! I assume it is a bid process, but my daughter played in a DII tourny in Nashville one year, and had a great time. And Nashville, regardless of where you are coming from, is a whole lot cheaper to stay in then Orlando. And yes, I know the Junior D1 was in Orlando this year.

My opinion - you give out as many bids as you can, and let the teams decide if they are worthy. Let the coaches and girls decide if they want the experience, and understand there could be some thrashings.

And who is too decide that the # 5 team in Tennessee still isn't in the top 50 of the country. And some funny things can happen to you in Superregionals. Just being good doesn't mean you get out with your bid. Just ask some of the TN teams that went to the Greenville SC SRT last year. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />