Sycamore vs. Pearl-Cohn

War Eagles

The Firebirds of Pearl-Cohn travel to Sycamore to take on the War Eagles this coming Friday night for homecoming in a crucial 4-3A battle. The Firebirds return Sr. QB/DB Deaunte Mason from their Semifinal team a year ago. I know the War Eagles are seeking revenge after the Firebirds put the out in the 3A State Quarterfinals last year. On the offensive side of the ball for the War Eagles, QB Jake Simms and RB Cory Carrigan will lead the attatck. I am expecting a big game from Brentwood Academy transfer Tyler Cherry. The 6'5 Junior WR/FS needs to step it up big time after he has been in a 2 game slump. If the War Eagles are going to pass the ball, the O-line needs to give Simms enough time to find his receivers. PC's line and Cheatham's line are a whole different world. On the definsive side of the ball, the War Eagles secondary better be prepared or Deaunte Mason will have fun picking apart Sycamore's secondary. Well I'm sticking with my War Eagles 24-21.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In week zero I had the opportunity on a Saturday evening to go to Nashville and watch the Firebirds play Memphis East. They are an excellent football team no question about it. Senior quarterback Deaunte Mason is in my opinion THE BEST PLAYER IN CLASS 3A in this entire state. He has thrown for 736 yards and 7TDs and rushed for an additional 176 yards and 3TDs through his team's first four contests of the season. That's accounting for 912 yards and 10TDs in four games. HE IS MY VOTE RIGHT NOW FOR MR. FOOTBALL BACK IN CLASS 3A AND THE NEXT TWO SENTENCES WILL CERTAINLY EXPLAIN WHY!!!! Now that's not too shabby for a guy who's starting two receivers from last year signed letter of intent to play college football at the University of North Carolina. His tight end is at a junior college for this year and will probably wind up at UNC with the previously mentioned pair of receivers for the 2008-2009 school year. Defensively the Firebirds are even better than what they are on offense. Howard Griffin, Dominique Harris, Marquis Osborne, & Will Johnson are all very good football players.

For Sycamore to win there's no doubt that they have to grind the tempo of the game to a screeching halt. This means that a similar scenario will have to be the case as what occurred last night when the War Eagles rushed 47 times for 452 yards & 5TD's (3 BACKS WENT FOR 100+ YARDS) in the win over Cheatham Co. Pearl Cohn is going to be very big up front and have exceptional athletes all over the field. The thing that kept the War Eagles in the games last year against PC is the fact that they ran the football in both games. The thing that hurt them in both games is the fact that they turned the football over at critical times. Griffin & Mason both had big INTs in the regular season game and in the postseason game it was Gupton who came up big with the INT late in the game.

Now working for WQSV prevents me from making a pick on this one but I expect a highly competitive football game between two outstanding teams. "Homecoming 2007" will be very special in Pleasant View next week with a lot of the older faces returning home to see "The Battle of the Birds" between the War Eagles & the Firebirds.

For anyone attending this one you can come early as Sycamore is having plenty of great "Homecoming" activities going on all day Friday afternoon and evening leading into the game.

I am glad we made this one a tape-delay broadcast when filling out the schedule because since I can't make it due to calling the CC-DL game on Friday night it will definately be one that I listen to first thing Saturday morning.

This game made the list of "Big Ones" for week four.

Pearl-Cohn should be able to win this game by as many points as they want to score, until they call off the dogs (in this case firebirds). This year's Sycamore team hasn't had any success against this type of team. (i.e. a team that has won games during the season). As all of Sycamore's wins have come against teams still winless for the entire season.

PC 42-7

I wouldn't go that far. I do think Sycamore is better than what PC thinks, or expects, and if they start counting their win before they play, they may be kicking themselves all the way back to Nashville. BUT, I do expect PC to walk away with by a 14 margin, even though I'll be pulling for Sycamore. PC has talent and all, but they would just be so much easier to root for if they weren't so darned cocky. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I wouldn't go that far. I do think Sycamore is better than what PC thinks, or expects, and if they start counting their win before they play, they may be kicking themselves all the way back to Nashville. BUT, I do expect PC to walk away with by a 14 margin, even though I'll be pulling for Sycamore. PC has talent and all, but they would just be so much easier to root for if they weren't so darned cocky. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

We don't need u 2 root 4 us & we aren't cocky we can be beat" any given Friday like anybody else. We just come in every game with a win on our minds that's all but not cocky.

I do believe that maybe travel was an issue. White House traditionally travels well as does Macon Co. Harpeth is a big county rivalry and they are actually having success this year so there should be a good crowd at that game. Pearl Cohn will bring a few loyal fans (mostly parents). One of those fans in the stands for the Firebirds will without question be a coaching legend in Maurice Fitzgerald.

Outside of that though the PC crowd will mostly consist of the band of about 100 that will be rocking all night long I am sure.