For Oak Ridge High

SuperBowlDream

I am sure many close friends of ORHS alumni Mark Copeland already know of his passing. He was killed last Tuesday on September 11, 2007 in Florida in a helicopter crash during a photography shoot for PowerBoat magazine. He obviously was a proud Tennessean, and a proud Oak Ridge alumni since he continuously talked about his state championship team even while traveling the world. Below is a tribute link some may be interested in. He also requested donations be left to ORHS. If you read some of his tributes, you will see that he told literally everybody about his cherished OR.

http://www.cbc-raleigh.com/memorials/mark_...k_copeland.html

Mark Copeland was one of my friends and the first cameraman that I was around back in the early 80's when we were doing the games on the cable. We went everywhere in east Tennessee with this huge camera that took up my entire trunk. That thing had to weigh over 100 pounds. We had to hook it up to a 3/4 inch VTR that was just as big as a foot locker. We got a workout just carrying those two items inside a gym or up ladders of pressboxes. We had a blast.

Mark had a unique sense of humor and despite living in North Carolina kept up with Oak Ridge sports. This past labor day he told me that he wanted to come back and film some Oak Ridge games just for the fun of it. I was so looking foward to this and was shocked just eight days later when he was killed. Mark had a huge heart and was always willing to help and teach. He is sadly missed by all who knew him and it was just like him to want to help out our TV station at the high school after his passing. My thoughts are with his family and friends.