Morristown City Championship

tnsmokediver

Who's your pick for 2007 City Champion  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your pick for 2007 City Champion

Canefan,,tnsmokediver....Who 's the favorite???

To be honest.Preseason East by 14Week 1 East by 10Week 3 East by 7Week 5 EvenBoth teams have played sloppy football. East was the favorite before the injuries set in and East might be a slim favorite but not by much. I say the line is even. To close to call.The changes that have been made for east should make for an interesting night of football.

If I were there, I wouldn't be sitting in the stands, if you know what I mean. I just wish I was there period!

I know, I was talking about me doing color for the game. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In '04, East won as the underdog......Josh Russell put on a running show of record setting proportions. School and series records for rushing yards.

West is a good team, just not as good as in the past. East has sputtered on O but the D is solid minus the Fulton game. East's better years are to come I think with the talent being so young and getting all kinds of experience this year.

I do not see how West was the favorite going into the 04 game their record was 2-3 (East's was 1-3); neither team was very good that year and both lost in the first round of the playoffs. Unless you are going on the history of the series, then West could have been the favorite. This year is about the same West is 2-3 and East is 3-2. I cannot say one team is much of a favorite this year. Again, both are good teams, but neither are great.

That being said, if West is disciplined they will win.

Keys to the game friday night. 1) Who will win the special teams,2)When their is a turnover, which defense

will be able to get a stop? 3) Who will get that big play 1st, an turnover or a long run.

East's defense has played good most of the year. They will need to control the ball game.

West offense has been up & down all year. We need to pressure West's QB & hope we can move the

ball on offense.

Note: I would like to see East's run more power football. With a young backfield, it is easyer on them to go

north & south. that pitch play has not work all year. ( it work great when we had dockey)We can use

T-howell to get outside.

Go Canes! Beat West

canfan72 how has the team looked this week?

Before the injury bug bit the Canes, I would have said East by two Td's. Right now it's a toss up. Coach Hatcher's offense does not rely on a great deal of passing, but if the Canes expect to beat a good team they HAVE to be able to at least pass a little. Right now they would have a hard time completing a pass vs a team of maniquins, and it is hard to run on 9 in the box regardless of how talented you are.

Before the injury bug bit the Canes, I would have said East by two Td's. Right now it's a toss up. Coach Hatcher's offense does not rely on a great deal of passing, but if the Canes expect to beat a good team they HAVE to be able to at least pass a little. Right now they would have a hard time completing a pass vs a team of maniquins, and it is hard to run on 9 in the box regardless of how talented you are.

I agree with you 100%. It is not for the lack of effort, they work like heck on the passing game and it looks good in practice but in a game it misfires.

I think the advantage goes to West by a TD. I thought this might be the year East took this game but not with everything that has happened. Either way it should be a close game.

East has been working to stop the careless miscues. Three or four times

East moved the ball down into the red area against Fulton only to shoot

themselves in the foot. This was mostly done against what some would

say was a goal line defense. East needs to take what they can get against

West and pound the ball until they are stopped. I believe East will do okay

if they play 4 quartes like they are capable of doing with out letting up.

I agree with you 100%. It is not for the lack of effort, they work like heck on the passing game and it looks good in practice but in a game it misfires.

Part of the struggle is the fact that when you only pass 5 to 8 times per game and sometimes less than that, it is very hard to get in rhythm, or to develop the timing necessary to be consistent in the pass game, and try as you may you cannot totally reproduce game atmosphere in practice.

Last time I visited these boards East fans were sure this was their year to beat West. I can't help but notice that they have toned it down considerably. Have injuries hurt East that much or has the team simple not lived up to expectations. At this point it looks like one of the two teams MAY not be playing after November 2. Is this the deciding game?

Last time I visited these boards East fans were sure this was their year to beat West. I can't help but notice that they have toned it down considerably. Have injuries hurt East that much or has the team simple not lived up to expectations. At this point it looks like one of the two teams MAY not be playing after November 2. Is this the deciding game?

The Injuries have taken it's toll. The Montes loss at the begining of the season was big but could be overcome with all the other returning starters on D. It seemed like every week the team was losing a key player. The center in one game made snaps a little hairy. The QB in the next game. Dockery never even made it into the season. I think the expectations would be met had things not gone south as far as injuries.

I don't think this will be the deciding factor for the playoffs, especially in this confrence.

The solid thing East has going for it is the D which seems to be the solid point of the year.

As Coach Bryant said, "Defense wins championships." I don't think that the D will carry them all the way by any means but it will be a BIG plus against West.

In comparison with the two opponets that each team has shared, East shut out Cherokee and kept them in the game against Jeff Co. most of the game.

The turnover problem will hurt both teams if what my good friend in the broadcast booth calls "the curse of the turf" continues.

Injuries have definately hurt East on BOTH sides of the ball. Whether people want to admit it or not losing Dockery hurt, although it was his own doing and you can't blame Hatcher for his stance, but he had a lot of talent. I think on offense most teams would struggle, and tend to have turnovers when you lose both your starting QB, and Center, the only two players that handle the ball every play.

I think they have lived up to expectations, considering the injuries. We had two pre-season all-staters, and the Canes have lost both of them. I think they have had a harder time replacing Brad Ramsey (last years starting QB) than they expected as well. Howell may be just as gifted an athlete as Ramsey, but he is not there yet as a QB. You can run 4.5 40's and throw the ball 65 yards in the air, but if you lack touch on your passes, and have not yet had the experience to avoid poor decisions your offense will struggle. Provided the Canes avoid further injuries, they will be good enough to win a game or maybe two come playoff time, but I really think they are one year off from being the team most Cane fans expected this year. Whomever avoids the turnovers, and controls the field position should win. I think it will be a close game, but knowing how these series go it could be a blow-out by either team as well. Canes by 7. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />