TSSAA Football Rules

volwiley

It is my understanding that TSSAA follows rules delegated by The National Federation of State High School Associations. I know I can go on there web site and buy there rule book, but does anyone know where I can go on-line and get the rules that TSSAA follows for football? Just for clarification I am talking about rules that are used by officials on the football field.

Tennessee uses the NFHS rules for the "on field" rulings and signals, etc.. Those are in the rule book and case book. I don't believe those are online but you can check at www.tssaa.org.

Officials receive a rule book and a case book every year as part of their annual dues. They must also pass a written exam on those rules.

Thank you for the info. I am on a football board for our city and we are trying to find an inexspensive way to get all the coaches (30 teams) a copy of the rules. I couldnt find them on-line and was hoping somebody might know something I didnt. Thanks again for confirming this.

I would think that when a school is a member of the TSSAA they should receive at least one copy of the books for the school. Now where they end up in the school is anybody's guess. I know our coaches receive them. I believe those books are mailed in late July or early August.

Coaches are invited to attend a yearly state rules meeting that covers the poiints of emphasis for the year and any major upcoming changes in future years. For example, starting in 2012 uniforms can't be "multi-colored". The requirements have been spelled out well in advance to allow for uniform replacement before then.

NDSean, I don't have the rule book here with me at work but it is rule 1-5 in the NFHS book. It lays out how wide the contrasting colors under the arms and on the legs can be, etc... It is to prevent the looks similar to the TN Titans etc... I will be happy to post it this evening if you need me to.

As for the reasoning, I can only assume it makes sure that each team is readily identifiable.

The uniform jersey criteria is rather wordy, and boring, so I'll paraphrase, it is rule 1-5-1.

The visiting team shall have only white in the body of the jersey with some allowable adornments. Those are the required numbers and names, sleeve stripes not to exceed 1 inch in the body of the jersey, 1 inch color stripe on the collar and up to a 4 inch side seam color stripe (again, not to appear in the body)

The home team jersey body may not include white with the same exceptions as stated above.

Bottom line, this is to insure that visiting teams remain "white" and home teams remain "dark".

• 2 weeks later...