CBHS VS BCHS

fourthree

well, briarcrest ONLY lost by 60 tonight. the final was 63-3. love it.

the only positive the saints had all night was their first drive when they methodically moved the ball about 70 yards before stalling out and kicking a field goal. it went downhill VERY FAST after that possession, the only one briarcrest would score on all night.

as usual, briarcrest was much bigger than Christian Brothers, but somehow the Brothers seem get the physical, athletic white kids and not the ones that are just big....like briarcrest. anywho, glad to see the saints continuing their dirty style of play, but ONCE AGAIN, it got them nowhere. keep up the great work "saints!!" haha.

I haven't seen Briarcrest play in a couple of years. What were you referring to when you said the saints were continuing their dirty style of play?

It seems that CBHSis hitting a stride. How long were the starters in during the second half, how well did the backups play on both sides, etc?

Thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen Briarcrest play in a couple of years. What were you referring to when you said the saints were continuing their dirty style of play?

It seems that CBHSis hitting a stride. How long were the starters in during the second half, how well did the backups play on both sides, etc?

Thanks.

ill put it like this, and you can interpret it any way you want...certainly wont hurt my feelings. if briarcrest played as physical as they believe they can play, kind of like in their "mind's eye," theyd beat a lot of teams. instead, many of the players seem to enjoy "side acts" away from the ball or after a play. for example, i find it hilarious that #74 got stuck in his jaw for doing some of that. if hed put as much energy into trying to beat someone with form and technique, and not just being bigger than someone, id put money on the fact that hed be a good football player. instead, he doesnt, and gets his butt 'owned' by someone, who on paper based on height/weight and all that other b.s., shouldnt be able to compete. again, i guess Christian Brothers gets the athletic white kids. haha.

CBHS can be better than they have been the past couple games. if they ever do iron out ALL the wrinkles, they have a chance to make a run.

the starters played a few minutes after the mercy rule was in effect..about 7 mins to go in the 3rd is when they were finally pulled..its tough to get in game condition by playing 4 quarters when you cant really play 4 quarters because of the score.

2nd teamers scored at least twice on offense and did their part on the defensive side of the ball.

basically, after the first drive, briarcrest was a completely different team. they had a couple of positive plays after that, but not many at all and certainly no sustained drives. it makes me think that the bcrest play calling might have been coincidental and caught the Brothers in certain defenses that did not lend well to stopping a particular play. the did not appear to be "gameplanned" at all, based on the sudden drop off in offensive production.

and if anybody ever doubted just how fast Michael Blanchard is, pretty sure they got their minds set straight friday night....probably the fastest ive ever seen ANYONE run 80 yards on a football field. yes, thats including holloway at melrose.

ill put it like this, and you can interpret it any way you want...certainly wont hurt my feelings. if briarcrest played as physical as they believe they can play, kind of like in their "mind's eye," theyd beat a lot of teams. instead, many of the players seem to enjoy "side acts" away from the ball or after a play. for example, i find it hilarious that #74 got stuck in his jaw for doing some of that. if hed put as much energy into trying to beat someone with form and technique, and not just being bigger than someone, id put money on the fact that hed be a good football player. instead, he doesnt, and gets his butt 'owned' by someone, who on paper based on height/weight and all that other b.s., shouldnt be able to compete. again, i guess Christian Brothers gets the athletic white kids. haha.

CBHS can be better than they have been the past couple games. if they ever do iron out ALL the wrinkles, they have a chance to make a run.

the starters played a few minutes after the mercy rule was in effect..about 7 mins to go in the 3rd is when they were finally pulled..its tough to get in game condition by playing 4 quarters when you cant really play 4 quarters because of the score.

2nd teamers scored at least twice on offense and did their part on the defensive side of the ball.

basically, after the first drive, briarcrest was a completely different team. they had a couple of positive plays after that, but not many at all and certainly no sustained drives. it makes me think that the bcrest play calling might have been coincidental and caught the Brothers in certain defenses that did not lend well to stopping a particular play. the did not appear to be "gameplanned" at all, based on the sudden drop off in offensive production.

and if anybody ever doubted just how fast Michael Blanchard is, pretty sure they got their minds set straight friday night....probably the fastest ive ever seen ANYONE run 80 yards on a football field. yes, thats including holloway at melrose.

Thanks. Your description of their approach to football is consistent with what I remember seeing in the past. It does seem that they have fallen since Freeze left. The close proximity of St. George's along with the presence of Coach Netherland will make it difficult to rebuild their program.

Thanks. Your description of their approach to football is consistent with what I remember seeing in the past. It does seem that they have fallen since Freeze left. The close proximity of St. George's along with the presence of Coach Netherland will make it difficult to rebuild their program.

You are right. St. George's having Coach Netherland is hurting Briarcrest. The sad thing is that Briarcrest could have hired Phil Massey from MUS or Major Wright from White Station instead of Hamstra to replace Coach Freeze. However, certain parents didn't want Coach Massey because he had a son that would show up their son, so they blocked him from coming. I don't know why they didn't hire Coach Wright, he is a very good coach. If they would have hired either one of these guys rather than hiring Hamstra, who was totally unqualified, they probably would have kept on winning. It is sad to see a program that won a state title in 2004 fall this far because of poor hiring decisions and decisions made because parents whine about there son not playing as much as they think he should.

You are right. St. George's having Coach Netherland is hurting Briarcrest. The sad thing is that Briarcrest could have hired Phil Massey from MUS or Major Wright from White Station instead of Hamstra to replace Coach Freeze. However, certain parents didn't want Coach Massey because he had a son that would show up their son, so they blocked him from coming. I don't know why they didn't hire Coach Wright, he is a very good coach. If they would have hired either one of these guys rather than hiring Hamstra, who was totally unqualified, they probably would have kept on winning. It is sad to see a program that won a state title in 2004 fall this far because of poor hiring decisions and decisions made because parents whine about there son not playing as much as they think he should.

Don't know everything about the situation but I do know that moving up in classification was a factor as well. I do agree that losing freeze hurt and Coach Wright or Massey would have been great replacements.

Agreed. I grew up with Phil Massey, played against him at Skyview, etc. He is a great guy, was a terrific quaterback at Skyview, played at Baylor, and is a great coach. Big mistake to let him go.

the biggest thing is not having the talent to compete in a MUCH TOUGHER classification. hands down. though, yes, massey or wright likely would have done a little better than hamstra.

the biggest thing is not having the talent to compete in a MUCH TOUGHER classification. hands down. though, yes, massey or wright likely would have done a little better than hamstra.

I agree that you must have the talent to be able to compete in any league. You could have the best coach, but if you don't have the talent you aren't going to win very often. However, the Saints did have talent the last couple of years, but it was uncoached by Hamstra and the politics at Briarcrest dictated who played and who didn't. The players weren't judged by their ability on the field so much as by how much their family gave to the annual fund drive, or whose dad was friends with the coach that sort of thing. And now it is coming back to haunt them. When you have parents on the coaching staff at the varsity level it is a real detriment to your program. It is one thing at the middle school level, but shouldn't happen at the varsity level.

I agree that you must have the talent to be able to compete in any league. You could have the best coach, but if you don't have the talent you aren't going to win very often. However, the Saints did have talent the last couple of years, but it was uncoached by Hamstra and the politics at Briarcrest dictated who played and who didn't. The players weren't judged by their ability on the field so much as by how much their family gave to the annual fund drive, or whose dad was friends with the coach that sort of thing. And now it is coming back to haunt them. When you have parents on the coaching staff at the varsity level it is a real detriment to your program. It is one thing at the middle school level, but shouldn't happen at the varsity level.

Moving up is definitely a challenge. If the politics have been as bad as it sounds, Briarcrest has a much more fundamental problem than need of a talent upgrade. This is somthing that could take years and plenty of patience to overcome. I am not trying to be funny, but this is much bigger than Touhey adopting a linemen to round out the offense. You're talking about setting a foundation at the middle school level and slowly trying to rebuild on a year to year basis.

This will be a tough one.

Moving up is definitely a challenge. If the politics have been as bad as it sounds, Briarcrest has a much more fundamental problem than need of a talent upgrade. This is somthing that could take years and plenty of patience to overcome. I am not trying to be funny, but this is much bigger than Touhey adopting a linemen to round out the offense. You're talking about setting a foundation at the middle school level and slowly trying to rebuild on a year to year basis.

This will be a tough one.

It's funny you should mention Touhey as I wasn't referring to Big Mike. What Briarcrest did for him was the Christian thing to do and after all Briarcrest is a Christian school. He was a unique talent in high school, especially at that level. No one ever questioned his playing. However, in recent years there have been players that played that were being played for reasons other than their talent at the expense of more talented players.

I do agree that the fundamental changes need to start at the middle school level. Patience is not something that the big money donors and other connected people have at Briarcrest. This was proven last year when a group of parents tried their best to get Hamstra fired in the middle of the season.

It saddens me to see Briarcrest go the way it has gone recently. I think it shows a lack of leadership on the administration's part to allow the politics to rule the school.

It's funny you should mention Touhey as I wasn't referring to Big Mike. What Briarcrest did for him was the Christian thing to do and after all Briarcrest is a Christian school. He was a unique talent in high school, especially at that level. No one ever questioned his playing. However, in recent years there have been players that played that were being played for reasons other than their talent at the expense of more talented players.

I do agree that the fundamental changes need to start at the middle school level. Patience is not something that the big money donors and other connected people have at Briarcrest. This was proven last year when a group of parents tried their best to get Hamstra fired in the middle of the season.

It saddens me to see Briarcrest go the way it has gone recently. I think it shows a lack of leadership on the administration's part to allow the politics to rule the school.

Please don't misunderstand, I was not trying to be sarcastic. I agree that it was the right thing to do.

I can think of one other school that had too many parents, politics, etc. going on at the same time. It produced a tremendous amount of collateral damage that took about 10 years from which to recover.

Briarcrest has had a tremendous athletic program over the years. Hopefully, they can recover. It will take work, and probably some changes in the administration.

I think that even the guys on this board from CBHS would agree that a strong western presence in DII AA, is critical. The Nashville schools are particularly though, (this year is no exception). We need to be able to compete with them on a year in year out basis.

Good Luck.