Portland@Clarksville

Golfendude

Hey Panther Supporters, Your coaches are some of the haedest working guys around and they are good guys who care about their players. Go ahead and give them a hard time so they will look for employment at other area schools with more heart than some of your Panthers display and they will come back to haunt you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel bad for Portland only because Mike Bever is such a class guy, a man I would be proud for my son to play for. On the other hand, some of these posters are right about the way the people in Portland carry on about football. Coach Perry got tired of it and bailed. I imagine Bever will too. Portland is an awful young team to be playing in that region, and they'll be hard to deal with when these freshmen and sophomores become juniors and seniors. I just hope Mike Bever stays around long enough to enjoy it.

Newsflash to Portland fans: You're not going to run the table every year. Every team goes through down cycles, it's your turn. Most schools can't brag about three (fairly recent) appearances in the state title game, you can. Settle down folks, give your coaches some time, quit sitting in the stands and whining about the good ol' days.

Yeah, Yeah...Blame it on the coach. I guess you are an adult, who has a kid on the sidelines that is just not good enough to play...... Maybe the problem is the attitude of the people of Portland. Why not stand behind the leaders instead of booting them out of town. I have seen over 100 P-town games over the past 12 years or so and to be honest with you - the talent has just not been there like it was in the glory days. Coach Perry saw it coming, and you poor mouth fans made it easy for him to move on. Just a bunch of spoiled fans - not used to losing and having tough times. Maybe Coach Bever needs some love, not a bunch of people flapping their jaws about what he should do, and how he could do it better. I wish you fans could coach a team for a few weeks and put in the countless hours, sacrifice your families to prepare for the game each Friday. I have seen a couple of games this year and it is NOT the coaches fault that the kids can not hang onto the ball. Maybe the players need to step up and take some responsibility in this losing streak too.

I dont see it getting better this Friday as far as a W for P-town, but maybe the town will shut up and get off of the coaches back for once. Be glad you do have a coach that cares and cares for his boys.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this forum I haven't been home, but just to let PPFan know the comment was not made by an "adult who has a kid on the sidelines that is just not good enough to play" it was made by a former player.(who started both ways)/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I had to the opportunity to be with coach Bever his first year of head coaching and just to let everyone know noone really knows the man on the sidelines like his players. Dont get me wrong coach Bever is a great offensive line coach, but as a head coach he still needs some leadership qualities I feel he will never aquire. A good coach can be a stern leader and also be a someone that his players can turn to when they need him. This is one of the qualities that coach doesnt have. He just doesnt have what it takes to run a team. And like I said noone knows the man on the sidelines like his players. And some people on here need to understand that.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this forum I haven't been home, but just to let PPFan know the comment was not made by an "adult who has a kid on the sidelines that is just not good enough to play" it was made by a former player.(who started both ways)/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I had to the opportunity to be with coach Bever his first year of head coaching and just to let everyone know noone really knows the man on the sidelines like his players. Dont get me wrong coach Bever is a great offensive line coach, but as a head coach he still needs some leadership qualities I feel he will never aquire. A good coach can be a stern leader and also be a someone that his players can turn to when they need him. This is one of the qualities that coach doesnt have. He just doesnt have what it takes to run a team. And like I said noone knows the man on the sidelines like his players. And some people on here need to understand that.

Yeah I found out that it was from a player who quit this year.... I still stand behind Bever. Why are you not with him now??

I need to say that I agree with PPfan, I grew up in Portland, graduated from there and watched a huge majority of the games for fifteen years. I started watching Portland several years before Perry started coaching and I enjoyed the games and atmosphere, but Portland was not a "powerhouse" or even a winning team for the most part. Then I watched as Perry took the team to another level. Then came the 8-4 seasons and the newspaper started and the people around my town started, and every conversation about Football turned to something that the coach was wrong about or how "I woulda dun it". It is very plain to see, the town of Portland, the fans of Portland and the Newspaper in Portland ran off a very good coach. Sometimes you gotta look at the big picture and not whine so much. I do not know coach Bever and have only watched a few games but I think he walked into a no win situation and I feel for him. A fan is a "fanatic person", but you are not fanatic about a team winning, you are a fanatic about the team and in HS football you should be a fanatic about the only thing that TRULY matters and that is the kids that are playing. HS football is about building character in kids through discipline and toughness through trials. Portland, meaning a vast majority of the fans in the stands that I sit next to, you disappoint me. And by the way, by building character and toughness you naturally build a good football team, and that is the way it should be done. Please stand behind Bever and his coaching staff, lets not run another good coach out of town. Oh and by the way Mt. Juliet was 2-8 (I think) before coach Perry went there and this year they are 6-1 and ranked in the state, this is the exact same scenario as in Portland, so I think the blame does not lay with the coach

Yeah I found out that it was from a player who quit this year.... I still stand behind Bever. Why are you not with him now??

I still stand behind Portland Football and hate to see what is happening on the field. It is very disheartening. I pray for every game night to be a safe and learning experience. I saw a better opportunity with soccer since I knew I wasn't going to be allowed to contribute to the football team as much as I wanted to. I prayed about this situation very much and I felt like God was leading me down a different path in my life. This wasn't an easy decision because I have played football since I was an elementary student. I discussed this with my pastor, my parents, and family. I plan to go into the ministry after seminary and we were all praying for peace with this very difficult time in my life. I knew if I decided to not play football anymore, I would be able to pick up a class called Sr. Project for 4th block instead of having football during 4th. This would allow me to spend time working on my career goal in the ministry by choosing to go to area churches and work with their pastors. What a blessing!!! Sometimes we must make a sacrifice in life for a greater purpose. God gave me peace about this after much prayer. So, really my decision was a win-win situation. One by following Christ and devoting my time to His work, and two with a possiblility of collegiate play in soccer if I choose to pursue this route. So PPFan, will you please pray for me as I leave one of life's journey to enter another?

I still stand behind Portland Football and hate to see what is happening on the field. It is very disheartening. I pray for every game night to be a safe and learning experience. I saw a better opportunity with soccer since I knew I wasn't going to be allowed to contribute to the football team as much as I wanted to. I prayed about this situation very much and I felt like God was leading me down a different path in my life. This wasn't an easy decision because I have played football since I was an elementary student. I discussed this with my pastor, my parents, and family. I plan to go into the ministry after seminary and we were all praying for peace with this very difficult time in my life. I knew if I decided to not play football anymore, I would be able to pick up a class called Sr. Project for 4th block instead of having football during 4th. This would allow me to spend time working on my career goal in the ministry by choosing to go to area churches and work with their pastors. What a blessing!!! Sometimes we must make a sacrifice in life for a greater purpose. God gave me peace about this after much prayer. So, really my decision was a win-win situation. One by following Christ and devoting my time to His work, and two with a possiblility of collegiate play in soccer if I choose to pursue this route. So PPFan, will you please pray for me as I leave one of life's journey to enter another?

I find it a bit contradictory to talk about how Coach Bever will NEVER obtain some attributes that a head coach needs, and to publically put him down as a coach on this website, then turn around and to talk about your devotion to Christ and His work and how that is a Blessing!!! I wonder what Jesus would do in this situation. I am so glad that Jesus did not and still has not given up on me and publically stated that I will NEVER change with what some would perceive to be a weakness in my life. If you truly want God's blessings on your life, you may want to consider apologizing to Coach for what you have said about him on your past posts. You have to remember that there is more than likely non-believers reading these post daily, and they can pick up on our inconsistencies as Christians when we talk one way and then when things get tough, we talk and act differently. I have already prayed for you, but before you leave one journey and begin another..... clean it up and make it right, then move on. God bless.

I find it a bit contradictory to talk about how Coach Bever will NEVER obtain some attributes that a head coach needs, and to publically put him down as a coach on this website, then turn around and to talk about your devotion to Christ and His work and how that is a Blessing!!! I wonder what Jesus would do in this situation. I am so glad that Jesus did not and still has not given up on me and publically stated that I will NEVER change with what some would perceive to be a weakness in my life. If you truly want God's blessings on your life, you may want to consider apologizing to Coach for what you have said about him on your past posts. You have to remember that there is more than likely non-believers reading these post daily, and they can pick up on our inconsistencies as Christians when we talk one way and then when things get tough, we talk and act differently. I have already prayed for you, but before you leave one journey and begin another..... clean it up and make it right, then move on. God bless.

It is apparent that I must have offended you in some way. If so, I do certainly apologize for that. I did not mean for my comments to be so offensive. I have certain expectations of what a head coach should be and these expectations were not fulfilled for me personally. However, he may completely fulfill other players expectations as a head coach. I am the kind of player that needed to be able to go to his coach with an open heart and talk. I just didn't feel this doorway was open. We may have had some talks, but I always felt such a distance. There was never a bond made between player and coach as I have felt with some other coaches before. This is something I needed to have with my head coach. Maybe this bit of insight will help. It is not meant to hurt. I feel he is a great offensive line coach as I commented in an earlier post. If his goals are to become a success as a head coach, then I will pray for God to give him the wisdom to do so. As you know with God all things are possible. We should definitely stand behind each other as christian brothers and be a good witness for Christ. I am a young christian man seeking the Lord's will for my life. I may falter as do we all. Remember, we all have room to grow in Christ. Praying for you as you pray for me. God Bless you also.

PPFan, ENOUGH ALREADY!!! This is a SPORTS FORUM, not a place for you to exercise your own personal agenda. You evidently don't realize that you are responding to a child that has been hurt. Where are the encouraging words for this kid? It's obvious that you are an adult (at least to me it is) that either coaches or is an authority figure in the school system and probably right in the same school that this child attends. I have been reading the posts from you to multisport12 and I can say with certainty that if you are the same individual that this child is commenting about, then obviously, it's no wonder he feels as strong as he does about the treatment he has received as a player because you have done nothing but criticize, belittle and tried your HARDEST to make this, what seems to be a very forthright christian kid, nothing but a hood with some axe to grind. Multisport12 has done nothing but tell it like it is, at least to him, and isn't that what this forum is about? Can't you just try and see past your own obsession with this kid and understand that this is someone you have hurt. Multisport has responded to you every time with grace and kindness. All you have done each time is "SPIT" on his remarks like a little brat on the playground. WHERES THE LOVE FOR MULTISPORT12????

PPFan, ENOUGH ALREADY!!! This is a SPORTS FORUM, not a place for you to exercise your own personal agenda. You evidently don't realize that you are responding to a child that has been hurt. Where are the encouraging words for this kid? It's obvious that you are an adult (at least to me it is) that either coaches or is an authority figure in the school system and probably right in the same school that this child attends. I have been reading the posts from you to multisport12 and I can say with certainty that if you are the same individual that this child is commenting about, then obviously, it's no wonder he feels as strong as he does about the treatment he has received as a player because you have done nothing but criticize, belittle and tried your HARDEST to make this, what seems to be a very forthright christian kid, nothing but a hood with some axe to grind. Multisport12 has done nothing but tell it like it is, at least to him, and isn't that what this forum is about? Can't you just try and see past your own obsession with this kid and understand that this is someone you have hurt. Multisport has responded to you every time with grace and kindness. All you have done each time is "SPIT" on his remarks like a little brat on the playground. WHERES THE LOVE FOR MULTISPORT12????

Dallasman, welcome to CoachT. I am glad I could be a part of your FIRST ever post. Just to clear up your perception, I am not a coach or an authority figure at PHS or any school for that matter. I also happen to know exactly who Multisport12 is in real life. I also know his parents and extended family, and I do not think they would encourage him publically disrespecting his former coaches in this forum. I am just sick and tired of kids blaming coaches when things do not always go there way. It is usually always the coaches fault - that comes out of the kids mouths first. Sooner or later kids have to own up to the fact that maybe they just weren't the best player for the position, deal with it, and move on, but it is always easier to just say the coach is lacking something or does not know what he is doing. But you are right on one thing. Enough is enough. P-town just better be patient, supportive and loyal to the current staff they have. They will turn it around.