How far is this punt ?

ridge

Team A has the ball on their own 35 yard line. Team A punts the ball. Team B attempts to catch the ball, but the ball touches Team B player and travels into the end zone. Team B player picks up the ball in the end zone and returns the ball to the Team B 30 yard line. Officially, how far would this punt be recorded?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the stats rule book, I interpret the distance of the punt to be the line of scrimmage to the point were the ball is downed or the point where the receiving team gains posession. In this case, I would say the receiving team gained posession at the goal line, making this a 65 yd punt. But, you mentioning the bean bag does make sense.

Team A has the ball on their own 35 yard line. Team A punts the ball. Team B attempts to catch the ball, but the ball touches Team B player and travels into the end zone. Team B player picks up the ball in the end zone and returns the ball to the Team B 30 yard line. Officially, how far would this punt be recorded?

Just a reminder....general football topics should be posted on the football board.

Where the player from team B touched the ball is the length of the punt. At the point he touches and doesn't control the punt, it is now a live ball and anyone can picked it up and advance. The returner is credited with a return from the point he controlled the ball to where he was tackled. The official will toss the bean bag when the punt is touched and should mark the spot where the returner starts the return. Usually they will toss their hat, since he has already used the bean bag.

it deppends if u want to know the net punt that is from the line of scrimmage to where the returner is taken down ...or if u want to know the regular punt that is from the line of scrimmage the where the ball is put into play

I'm referring to the regular distance of the punts (The punters average yardage that is used to rank punters).

I'm referring to the regular distance of the punts (The punters average yardage that is used to rank punters).

In high school stats the length of the punt is what is measured, not the net. As a coach, you can have your stat guy keep the punt net stats, but in the papers only the punt length is kept.

Team B attempts to catch the ball, but the ball touches Team B player and travels into the end zone. Team B player picks up the ball in the end zone and returns the ball to the Team B 30 yard line.

Under high school playing rules, since when can Team B return a kick that has gone into the end zone? B never possessed the ball so it's still a kick when it crosses the goal line. The punt is over when it enters the end zone. Touchback.

wheels, I ain't no expert, but isn't the ball "live" since it touched a "B" player, before it went into the endzone?

Under high school playing rules, since when can Team B return a kick that has gone into the end zone? B never possessed the ball so it's still a kick when it crosses the goal line. The punt is over when it enters the end zone. Touchback.

wheels, I ain't no expert, but isn't the ball "live" since it touched a "B" player, before it went into the endzone?

The kick is "in progress" until the ball is possessed or declared dead by rule. Merely touching (football rules terminology - "Muffing") the ball doesn't end the kick. All kicks, and this is still a kick after being muffed, going into R's end zone are touchbacks.