Freshman records???

peacemaker

There were some great times at state by Freshmen such as Andrew Bumbolough of BA who finished 2nd in the DII 3200 in a very impressive 9:38.79. Also an 8th grader, G.J. Hudgens of CPA finished 6th in the A-AA 400 in 52.71. While this is a very good time for an 8th grader, G.J. has run sub-52 in early meets.

Guest BigCountry05

Kimberly Thorington placed 8th in the state pole vaulting competition with a vault of 8 feet, she is also the one of the first female vaulters at Coffee County Highschool, she has the school record.

Since folks are also talking about rising freshmen on this thread, my 8th grade son (who doesn't even have a school team to compete for) has high jumped 6 feet and pole vaulted 11 feet this year (he hopes to do this well or better in the AAU JO's in Knoxville in August). His high school just started a "limited" track team under which he must be self-coached and they will take him to a few meets. His personal goals for his freshman year (2003) are 6'4" in HJ and 13' in PV. I think these goals may be possible if he doesn't get hurt and stays motivated in a school environment that does nothing for track and field athletes.

• 9 months later...
Guest dctailgator03

WIll i ran cross country and plan to run it the next 3 years i am at DC! I am a freshman and i ran 19.05 at regionals! i think that is pretty good and i got 14th! ;)

Last season, Nelson Rutledge of Stratford High School took 1st in the 400m & 200m and 3rd in 100m with times of 11.1 in the 100, 22.3 in the 200, and 50.3 in the 400 at the Freshman City Championships at MBA. Rutledge was unable to qualify for Regional Finals due to a hamstring injury, but ran second leg on the 4x200m relay which won the Region and also Won State with a time of 1:26.89, with Rutledge's split being a 21.84. Watch for him at the 2003 Regionals in Kenwood.

[Edited by BigTank on 4-3-03 8:24A]

Liza Wellford of Hutchison placed second in the state D2 300 meter hurdles as an 8th grader last year with a 46.38. That time would have won A-AA and placed sixth in AAA.

Elizabeth Krausnick, also of Hutchison, competed in the state 800 as an eighth grader in 2002. Though her state time wasn't great, she had PR'ed with a 2:24.8 two weeks before.