Underrated Teams

stamfordbridgesoccer

Just thought I would start this thread as teams prepare for district, region, and state tournament play.

Who do you think is flying below the radar and will make some noise in their district, region, or in the state tournament? All classifications welcome.

The first notable for me is GPS - their "un-GPS-like record" is not indicative of the team they put on the field. I have not kept up with D2 enough to know whether or not they have to face Baylor in the region semi-finals. If they do, so much for that prediction...if they draw one of the other D2 teams, watch out.

From the East, West High School seems to be improving and has a good chance of advancing to the Region, I think.

Webb School of Knoxville has some talent and is well organized. They have a shot at advancing to DII State this year.

Don't forget that my alma mater West High School shocked everyone last year when they upset #5 Oak Ridge in the District 3 Championship and lost to #8 Bearden in overtime in the Region 2 Semifinals. Their program has come a long way and they could be a Cinderella this year.

Also Fred J. Page in Franklin could be one to watch in A-AA if things go well for them. At 9-4-3 and a 4th seed in District 11, they are way under the radar. Unranked since 2003, they've knocked off 4 Top 10 teams in the last 7 years and have a propensity for stepping up their game in the postseason. They still are the only 6 seed to reach a District Championship in Tennessee history.

Another excellent example is Ravenwood last year. They lost all 3 of their District 11 AAA regular season games and then beat Centennial rather easily in the district semi-final. They advanced all the way to the sectional game losing to an excellent Hendersonville team.

It's a new season and they certainly will not be overlooked this year.

I am not too familiar with Page but I hit up EurosportScoreboard for some research. I see what peterw means about Page High. They are way under the radar. I see they tied #7 DCA and had close matches with #6 CPA and a talented Hume-Fogg.

In Region 6 (A-AA) the big dogs are Columbia Academy, Richland, Spring Hill and Forrest. Since DCA, CPA and Hume-Fogg played well against those teams, Page could emerge Region champs IF they're on top of their game. That would be the first 4th seed ever to do that!

Then Page would face CPA or DCA again in sub-state. I suppose it could happen. But they'll have to get past the District 11 #1 seed Spring Hill.

Stone Memorial forfeited against Loudon for a game to see who would go on and play CAK on Monday.

I guess they thought they didn't have a chance.

Loudon plays CAK on Monday.

For this game, I believe it's either going to be a blow out or Loudon might be able to show something.

As an onlooker, I can't really say which one it's going to be.

I have seen teams in the past really come out with something.

And then I have seen teams who just stomp the other one in a breeze.

So I'm anxious to see!

What are the other games that are going to be taking place on Monday in their district?

I am not too familiar with Page but I hit up EurosportScoreboard for some research. I see what peterw means about Page High. They are way under the radar. I see they tied #7 DCA and had close matches with #6 CPA and a talented Hume-Fogg.

In Region 6 (A-AA) the big dogs are Columbia Academy, Richland, Spring Hill and Forrest. Since DCA, CPA and Hume-Fogg played well against those teams, Page could emerge Region champs IF they're on top of their game. That would be the first 4th seed ever to do that!

Then Page would face CPA or DCA again in sub-state. I suppose it could happen. But they'll have to get past the District 11 #1 seed Spring Hill.

I think that Page has some good players but I don't believe they can topple Spring Hill this season. The girls beat Page during their first meet 4-0 even with a valuable defensive player red carded the second half. Spring Hill has grown strong this year and I think it will be a tough game for Page to come out on top.