District 1-AAA

bucdaddio

THS vs. Elizabethton was a great game to see. Montgomery actually had 27. ELizabethton crushed THS on the boards. They just didn't have an answer for Montgomery. The THS posts did absolutely nothing. They were completely outplayed by Elizabethton. If the Vikings can get some production or at least some rebounding from their posts they can be great. Both teams have bright futures this year.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THS vs. Elizabethton was a great game to see. Montgomery actually had 27. ELizabethton crushed THS on the boards. They just didn't have an answer for Montgomery. The THS posts did absolutely nothing. They were completely outplayed by Elizabethton. If the Vikings can get some production or at least some rebounding from their posts they can be great. Both teams have bright futures this year.

Knew the posts would be the weak spot for TN High going in. If anybody can get them to step up, though, it would be Coach Bright. Excellent coach.

I have been saying 1-AA has been stronger than 1-AAA for the last six seasons, at least the top two or three teams. Elizabethton, Unicoi Co., and South Greene have been at the head of the AA class and Tennessee High, Science Hill, and Daniel Boone have been the class of the AAA league. It appears the balance of power may be shifting slightly. Science Hill owns an early season win over Unicoi Co. and Tennessee High barely slid by Elizabethton. It is still very close and South Greene beat Austin-East the other night. If nothing else, it makes interesting debate and some very good ball games.

• 2 weeks later...

how about SOUTH taking out TENN. HIGH..this past week,looks like there might be a new lead dog at the front of the pack!! The big Nine should have something for the IMAC this year. SHHS already took care of Morristown East, who from what i heard was a very quick and deep team will take Greenville down this year. South looks like the early team to beat in the big nine, am i wrong to think this?

how about SOUTH taking out TENN. HIGH..this past week,looks like there might be a new lead dog at the front of the pack!! The big Nine should have something for the IMAC this year. SHHS already took care of Morristown East, who from what i heard was a very quick and deep team will take Greenville down this year. South looks like the early team to beat in the big nine, am i wrong to think this?

So much for that theory, Daniel Boone beat Sullivan South today, 53 - 45, in a game that was postponed from Friday so South fans could watch their football team get shellacked by Maryville. (just kidding South fans)

South was hot to start the game, Pickwell in particular looked good. Boone managed to hang within about 6-8 pts., but every time they made a run South answered. Then, towards the end of the 3rd, Boone turned up the defensive intensity, and things started to turn around. Boone slowly caught up, then quickly took a lead in the last 3-4 minutes, and made their foul shots to keep it.

The Big Nine is going to be very interesting this season. I think now that, until somebody beats them, Science Hill is the team to watch. They were at the Boone-South game today, both coaches and players. they are fast and they are good. Thing that impresses me so far, is that if you check the box scores for SH so far, the "hot player" with all the points has been a different player every game. If you stop one or two, somebody else is going to get you.

South is a mystery to me. They have two players that were hyped earlier on these boards as D1 players. I believe one has signed and the other signed in golf. It is hard to believe that with two D1's on the team as seniors, that they have not had more team success in the past three years. Maybe this is their year, but they will have to prove it on the court.

Yes, i believe that the SH girls always have someone else stepping up.....the next games will be against David Crockett on Wednesday @ Crockett Dec. 5 then @ Sullivan South that Friday Dec. 7.....

The next week will be the test for the lady toppers.......against Daniel Boone @ Boone Dec. 11 then @ Tennessee High on Dec. 14.........and they don't play home again until Jan. 4 vs Dobyns Bennett

South is a mystery to me. They have two players that were hyped earlier on these boards as D1 players. I believe one has signed and the other signed in golf. It is hard to believe that with two D1's on the team as seniors, that they have not had more team success in the past three years. Maybe this is their year, but they will have to prove it on the court.

Well, I'm the one who posted those stories, but I'm not sure "hyped" is the right word. They are technically DI signees, because both signed basketball scholarships with D1 schools. (one with East Tennessee State, the other with Georgia Southern). But let's be honest. College recruiting is what it is. It goes to the kids who have been marketed the best. Coaches with connections, parents who put out money to promote, etc. Some kids get a lot of looks, some very deserving kids get little or no attention. I couldn't help thinking while I was watching this game, that Caldwell and Nickels from Boone are every bit as talented as Pickwell and Williams, maybe more. But they just haven't gotten the right looks from the right people at the right time. Caldwell is a 6' post who can shoot the 3, and even run the point a little. Nickels defense, scoring, and speed speak for themself. Not that Pickwell and Williams aren't deserving, they certainly are talented, just don't know why some get talked to and others don't.....................

Kind of funny that I have not heard or read anyone saying anything about Morristown East taking Greeneville down this year. I think the team that was supposed to compete with Greeneville this year just got beat by 14 last night.

There are so many teams that could be good in the Big 9. I think with Science Hill you have to wait until the end of the season to see how the hold up. Last year they started strong and kind of fluttered toward the end. I think the success with South will depend on coaching.

Kind of funny that I have not heard or read anyone saying anything about Morristown East taking Greeneville down this year. I think the team that was supposed to compete with Greeneville this year just got beat by 14 last night.

There are so many teams that could be good in the Big 9. I think with Science Hill you have to wait until the end of the season to see how the hold up. Last year they started strong and kind of fluttered toward the end. I think the success with South will depend on coaching.

Let's define fluttering: Let's see, last season Science Hill finished 14-2 in the Big 9, had convincing wins against Morristown West and TN High in the regional tournament, and lost on a last second shot to Greeneville for the regional championship. If that is your definition of fluttering then I believe there are a lot of teams across the state that would like to be fluttering at the end of each season.

Let's define fluttering: Let's see, last season Science Hill finished 14-2 in the Big 9, had convincing wins against Morristown West and TN High in the regional tournament, and lost on a last second shot to Greeneville for the regional championship. If that is your definition of fluttering then I believe there are a lot of teams across the state that would like to be fluttering at the end of each season.

Flutterring meaning they really did not play as well toward the end....I thought they had some close games....wich probably could have been from not being in that situation before. I didn't mean anything bad, I would say that Science HIll has the greates upside of all the teams in the Big 9