10-12 maryville/west game

knoxrebel

After last nights game at Maryville, i was impressed in two ways. I was impressed with the Maryville Rebels, they came out and played like the defending champions that they are. Minus their run game they looked very good. I was equally impressed with the West Rebels defense. After their first six games their defense looked very spotty, good at times bad at others. But they came out and played a very good game against a defending champion. Other than some questionable play calls by West, namely the three where wide recievers Ken Easterly and Jack Wagner lined up as quarterback, the offense moved the ball well and tested Maryville's defense. But on a different note i was disapointed in the officiating in the same game. Spotting the ball where the players helmet is rather than where the ball is and missing plenty of false starts. But in the First quarter on maryville's first scoring drive when it was 4th down and 4 inches (after measurement with the nose of the ball touching the 35yard line), maryville runs a draw play (after measurement 2inches past the first with the nose of the ball still on the 35yard line). But congratulations to Maryville they played a good game. Look out for west come playoff time.

After last nights game at Maryville, i was impressed in two ways. I was impressed with the Maryville Rebels, they came out and played like the defending champions that they are. Minus their run game they looked very good. I was equally impressed with the West Rebels defense. After their first six games their defense looked very spotty, good at times bad at others. But they came out and played a very good game against a defending champion. Other than some questionable play calls by West, namely the three where wide recievers Ken Easterly and Jack Wagner lined up as quarterback, the offense moved the ball well and tested Maryville's defense. But on a different note i was disapointed in the officiating in the same game. Spotting the ball where the players helmet is rather than where the ball is and missing plenty of false starts. But in the First quarter on maryville's first scoring drive when it was 4th down and 4 inches (after measurement with the nose of the ball touching the 35yard line), maryville runs a draw play (after measurement 2inches past the first with the nose of the ball still on the 35yard line). But congratulations to Maryville they played a good game. Look out for west come playoff time.

you must not have seen too many games from maryville to be disappointed by the officials. I've been there when the head ref made the others take their hats off when the band played the alma mater.

A Halls fan complaining about officiating. The 1997 Maryville/Halls game was the most 1 sided officiating I ever seen. I remember a Halls punter dropping the snap. He took off running. He was 1 yard away from a 1st down when a Maryville guy tackled him. They called roughing the punter on Maryville. That was the WORST call I ever seen. I guess Maryville was supposed to let the punter run for a 1st down.

Some of my Heritage friends told me about a playoff game at Halls in 1986. Halls won 9-7 on a last second field goal against Heritage. Halls went on to win state but should have never won that 1st playoff game. All of Halls yardage on that field goal that beat Heritage was penalty yardage. Halls didn't even have to drive the ball.

Bad things can happen when Blount County teams travel to Halls.

Ron,

Can you refresh me on something?

I get a few of those Knox schools a little confused. Was it Halls or Carter whose field always used to turn up mysteriously soggy every time the Rebels showed up? Seems like I remember some story about a recurring sprinkler problem...

A Halls fan complaining about officiating. The 1997 Maryville/Halls game was the most 1 sided officiating I ever seen. I remember a Halls punter dropping the snap. He took off running. He was 1 yard away from a 1st down when a Maryville guy tackled him. They called roughing the punter on Maryville. That was the WORST call I ever seen. I guess Maryville was supposed to let the punter run for a 1st down.

Some of my Heritage friends told me about a playoff game at Halls in 1986. Halls won 9-7 on a last second field goal against Heritage. Halls went on to win state but should have never won that 1st playoff game. All of Halls yardage on that field goal that beat Heritage was penalty yardage. Halls didn't even have to drive the ball.

I remember back in 1947, when my ol' Granddaddy played.... And then there was the time the Maryville band of the Cherokees played the Halls band of the Cherokees -- I think that was in 1463 -- well, you should have seen....

Ron,

Can you refresh me on something?

I get a few of those Knox schools a little confused. Was it Halls or Carter whose field always used to turn up mysteriously soggy every time the Rebels showed up? Seems like I remember some story about a recurring sprinkler problem...

HEY PAPA, NOT TRYING TO HORN IN ON RON'S ANSWER, BUT 2006 THE FIELD WAS WHAT YOU CALLED IT, VERY SLOPPY.

EVERYBODY WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW THEY MANAGED TO PAY THE WATER BILL THAT MONTH.

THEY DO TEND TO HAVE A BAD LEAK SOMEWHERE.........AROUND MARYVILLE TIME.

In 2004 Maryville traveled to Halls. At that time it didn't rain for about a month. The ground was dry as a bone but the football field looked like a swamp. I remember how many times a Rebel player would slip and fall.

REBELRON, quit crying about watered down fields and Knox County officiating, claw ball is waiting on you to tell the truth about Maryvilles out of zone tuition paying eligible playing starters that make Maryville such a good football team or is it just good coaching. Maybe Coach Quarles could give you this information or STARSANDBARS has the lineups from the old programs, I am sure CU865 would like to know. The truth hurts.

REBELRON, quit crying about watered down fields and Knox County officiating, claw ball is waiting on you to tell the truth about Maryvilles out of zone tuition paying eligible playing starters that make Maryville such a good football team or is it just good coaching. Maybe Coach Quarles could give you this information or STARSANDBARS has the lineups from the old programs, I am sure CU865 would like to know. The truth hurts.

Bump