CBHS vs ECS

wavelax1

This is a huge game for both teams because the winner will most likely finish first place in the West Division and have home field advantage in the playoffs. I see the Brothers coming back after a tough loss and taking this one, but it will be tough. Any news on Watsons injury? I hope he can go this week.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a huge game for both teams because the winner will most likely finish first place in the West Division and have home field advantage in the playoffs. I see the Brothers coming back after a tough loss and taking this one, but it will be tough. Any news on Watsons injury? I hope he can go this week.

I think CBHS can come back from their loss against Mitchell (who I still don't believe is getting the respect they deserve) and beat ECS but it will be very tough. I'm a CBHS grad just like you and I think we, including me, have a mental block in our heads about ECS. They have vastly improved and can not only compete in D2AA but have proven they can win. Part of me doesn't want to believe that because the ECS I knew when I was in high school, which wasn't all that long ago really, had trouble competing with the bigger schools like us and MUS. It is a huge game friday and I hope we can pull out a win but a win over ECS is a lot more meaningful than it used to be, in my opionion.

I dont know if ECS has the amount of weapons they had a year ago, but then again i dont think they need them in their system. They arent bruising, hard nose but they do get the job done. If CBHS defense can continue to stifle in the game Friday, which is going to be needed, they game can be in CBHS' hands. Both teams can put up the points, it will come down to the defenses. ECS is A LOT BETTER than past, and anyone who has played against them recently, including my 3years at CBHS, will tell you that they were never bad, just overwhelmed. And now they have the weapons to expose teams. Should be interesting as it was last year

The key to this game for ECS is offensive line play, particularly pass protection. If ECS can handle CBHS's defensive line and protect the qb, they will win a very competitive game. If they can't protect the qb, and cannot handle the speed and athleticism of CBHS, especially on punt and kick returns, CBHS will win comfortably. This should be a good one!

in my opinion, this game will be decided on which Christian Brothers team decides to show up....

(1) the sound football team that plays hard (and smart) for four quarters with a punishing defense and an opportunistic offense.

or

(2) the mistake-prone team that makes bone headed decisions and commits unforced errors that has already lost games to both melrose and mitchell.

the outcome of this game will be decided depending on which of the Brothers' teams gets off the bus. if the Purple Wave want it and play that way, i honestly cant see ecs doing anything, or being able to do anything, to stop it.

on a side note. what about barret jones? all i heard/read about was what a great prospect he is. has he recovered from the injury he sustained vs. cordova and will he play?

in my opinion, this game will be decided on which Christian Brothers team decides to show up....

(1) the sound football team that plays hard (and smart) for four quarters with a punishing defense and an opportunistic offense.

or

(2) the mistake-prone team that makes bone headed decisions and commits unforced errors that has already lost games to both melrose and mitchell.

the outcome of this game will be decided depending on which of the Brothers' teams gets off the bus. if the Purple Wave want it and play that way, i honestly cant see ecs doing anything, or being able to do anything, to stop it.

on a side note. what about barret jones? all i heard/read about was what a great prospect he is. has he recovered from the injury he sustained vs. cordova and will he play?

With the exception of last minute surprises, of which a coach could not prepare for, or very poor refereeing, the team that wins is the best team that day. (PERIOD) As much as I like CBHS, both Melrose and Mitchell were better teams when they played and defeated CBHS. (PERIOD) And outside of what I previously said, the best team will win tonight. (PERIOD) Poor decisions, dumb stuff, dropped passes, poorly prepared subs, and so on, are all part of the game. Let's hope that CBHS is the best team tonight.

ECS deserves a lot of credit for winning last year given its size. Can it do it again?

They did win last year, and they deserved to. CBHS couldn't hang on to the ball and consistently put ECS in great field position by muffing a punt, or fumbling. This year was a different story. I think Adam Currie is a great quarterback but in his first real challenge last night I think he may have been exposed a little bit. I went to that game thinking they (ECS) could run away with it but the way it ended I know they were left stunned because all I've heard all year is this is ECS's year. Of course its obvious I'm biased but in the second half it seem one particular ref tried to have a major impact on the game, but it could just have seemed that way. I will say I thought the way the ECS announcer called the game was perfect. CBHS played somewhere earlier this year, I won't say because theres no point in calling them out, and the announcer was so arrogant with his play calling. He made it sound like everything they did was gold, and everything CBHS was luck or something like that. So props on the announcer ECS.

I agree 99.9 percent with everything said in this string.

MY notes on ECS..

Barret Jones: +

In preparing for ECS I realized that what I mistook for uncoordination (word?) was his style of blocking. ECS' line prefers to "wheel" defenders rather than blow them off the ball. There is certainly nothing wrong with this style of blocking; it is, in fact, the style I find hardest to defend, with the offensive lineman simply pushing the defensive lineman further in the direction he is slanting to begin with. I must note my surprise at Mr. Jones' athleticism after watching enough film to make my HEAD EXPLODE, looking for his stance tendencies (changes for pulling, pass protect, etc.), and not finding ANY. This takes an athlete, pure and simple. The only fault I put on him is that the outside step/inside rip move is ALWAYS open, a result of his pass protect style. The move is not as often used as a straight outside rush because of the implications of being pinned inside, unable to regroup and contain. ECS, however, does not have a speedster in Adam Currie (more to come in a moment), enabling the defensive ends or outside blitzers to take more chances. I found that he is a great sportsman, and, overall, I was surprised by his performance.

Adam Currie: No Change

Adam Currie is undoubtedly one of the state's best quarterbacks. He's got a rocket arm that can beam a laser to a short/medium yardage route, as well as a cannon that makes his a serious deep threat. Closer to the line of scrimmage, he has pretty good straight forward speed, but it's not a serious threat. He also does not protect the ball very well while running. He has great vision, although I don't think it is utilized enough. Maybe it is the lack of receivers (:-/ sorry guys), but he doesn't seem to check down to his 2nd and 3rd receivers; and if he does, rarely throws it. His greatest asset is his intellect. He doesn't make dumb throws (no picks before last night), works the sticks for first downs, and doesn't put himself in a position to make mistakes (bad plays breed more bad plays). He's a great quarterback, but doesn't appear to have the skill positions to enable him to have the same success this year.

ECS Skill Positions: -

The run game and receivers aren't the best I've seen from an ECS bunch. The receivers are undersized, and what appeared to be not great athletes. The tailback (38) is a hard, determined runner, symbolizing ECS as a team. He is undersized, but has plenty of fight. Not the most athletic player on the field, but one you can't look past.

ECS Offensive Line: +

The offensive line as a unit was a surprise. I, however, can only attest to their right side and both centers. First and foremost, they never quit. They are hard nosed guys that will keep scratching and clawing until the job is done or they have to get off the field. They hung with an extremely physical CBHS defense. Even after a brutal game, all but the right guard (51, yes I put your number and realized you to be the bruise on the ECS' sportsmanship) were congratulatory and hospitable, respecting the fact that what happens inside the box is not personal, but instead part of the game that ends when the buzzer in the 4th quarter sounds. I was impressed with the personality and surprised by the execution of this group.

ECS is a team that I, as a Brother, love to hate (although, come Friday nights, I hate everybody). I know a lot of their players, grew up with Currie, and respect what Coach Heinz has done for, and with, the program. On several occasions fights almost broke out. They were outpourings of passion, not cheap or dirty play, in which each protects his own (not always a bad thing in my opinion, but don't listen to me /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ). I respect the players because, year after year, the respect and personality shown after the game, win or lose, is more than any other team I have played. They are a good bunch of guys.

I agree 99.9 percent with everything said in this string.

MY notes on ECS..

Barret Jones: +

In preparing for ECS I realized that what I mistook for uncoordination (word?) was his style of blocking. ECS' line prefers to "wheel" defenders rather than blow them off the ball. There is certainly nothing wrong with this style of blocking; it is, in fact, the style I find hardest to defend, with the offensive lineman simply pushing the defensive lineman further in the direction he is slanting to begin with. I must note my surprise at Mr. Jones' athleticism after watching enough film to make my HEAD EXPLODE, looking for his stance tendencies (changes for pulling, pass protect, etc.), and not finding ANY. This takes an athlete, pure and simple. The only fault I put on him is that the outside step/inside rip move is ALWAYS open, a result of his pass protect style. The move is not as often used as a straight outside rush because of the implications of being pinned inside, unable to regroup and contain. ECS, however, does not have a speedster in Adam Currie (more to come in a moment), enabling the defensive ends or outside blitzers to take more chances. I found that he is a great sportsman, and, overall, I was surprised by his performance.

Adam Currie: No Change

Adam Currie is undoubtedly one of the state's best quarterbacks. He's got a rocket arm that can beam a laser to a short/medium yardage route, as well as a cannon that makes his a serious deep threat. Closer to the line of scrimmage, he has pretty good straight forward speed, but it's not a serious threat. He also does not protect the ball very well while running. He has great vision, although I don't think it is utilized enough. Maybe it is the lack of receivers (:-/ sorry guys), but he doesn't seem to check down to his 2nd and 3rd receivers; and if he does, rarely throws it. His greatest asset is his intellect. He doesn't make dumb throws (no picks before last night), works the sticks for first downs, and doesn't put himself in a position to make mistakes (bad plays breed more bad plays). He's a great quarterback, but doesn't appear to have the skill positions to enable him to have the same success this year.

ECS Skill Positions: -

The run game and receivers aren't the best I've seen from an ECS bunch. The receivers are undersized, and what appeared to be not great athletes. The tailback (38) is a hard, determined runner, symbolizing ECS as a team. He is undersized, but has plenty of fight. Not the most athletic player on the field, but one you can't look past.

ECS Offensive Line: +

The offensive line as a unit was a surprise. I, however, can only attest to their right side and both centers. First and foremost, they never quit. They are hard nosed guys that will keep scratching and clawing until the job is done or they have to get off the field. They hung with an extremely physical CBHS defense. Even after a brutal game, all but the right guard (51, yes I put your number and realized you to be the bruise on the ECS' sportsmanship) were congratulatory and hospitable, respecting the fact that what happens inside the box is not personal, but instead part of the game that ends when the buzzer in the 4th quarter sounds. I was impressed with the personality and surprised by the execution of this group.

ECS is a team that I, as a Brother, love to hate (although, come Friday nights, I hate everybody). I know a lot of their players, grew up with Currie, and respect what Coach Heinz has done for, and with, the program. On several occasions fights almost broke out. They were outpourings of passion, not cheap or dirty play, in which each protects his own (not always a bad thing in my opinion, but don't listen to me /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ). I respect the players because, year after year, the respect and personality shown after the game, win or lose, is more than any other team I have played. They are a good bunch of guys.

Congrats to CBHS. They came ready to play, executed their game plan, and played flawlessly. With the new DII-AA format, it's really hard to get a feel for how Western teams stack up against the others particularly those around Nashville. Should CBHS play Brentwood, MBA, or Father Ryan in the same manner in which they played Friday night, I am not convinced that the Nashville teams could stop them.

Time will tell, the season is far from being over. Nevertheless, congratulations are in order.

here's the way i saw it, and you can either take it or leave it:

friday night's game between Christian Brothers and ecs was a PERFECT example of a smaller, more athletic team absolutely dominating a much larger one by being the aggressor and laying the licks...as opposed to having the licks layed. the Brothers were more physical in every aspect of the game friday night. i dont remember a play, possession, quarter, etc. where ecs looked like they wanted to win the game. they looked more like the catcher than the pitcher, if you catch my drift.

ill even stretch so far as to say i thought they looked timid, especially their kick returners. it was rather obvious the 7-0 eagles hadnt played a team with more athletes than they have, which in my estimation is very few. position by position, the Brothers were superior athletically. is jones big? yes. is he the top prospect in the state? not in my eyes, though my opinion doesnt count for anything.

as was noted earlier, currie seemed to be exposed in terms of not handling a pressure defense as well as ecs needed him to in order to win the game. id doubt hed been hit in their previous 7 games as often as he got hit friday night...and if they werent hitting him, they were in his face.

on to my take of the Brothers. the CBHS team that plays hard and smart for four quarters showed up and thus created a well played game for the most part. the offense was opportunistic and converted well on third down when they needed. not having watson made the play calling open up a bit, which was a good thing, at least in my eyes, and other guys stepped up. when CBHS straps it on vs. BA, MBA, etc., theyre gonna have to have other guys do big things. if not, theyll lose. the traditional Super 7 teams are pretty darn good at finding ways to shut down, or minimize, an opposing team's stud. the defense played big and physical...constant pressure and hits on currie which led to hurried/off balance throws. as a result, three interceptions were recorded. if the Brothers hope to be playing past the second or third week of november, the defense is gonna have to play that way every friday night.

BUT i will not sit at this computer and toot their horn. they played physical, which is a must, especially in roughly three weeks when the playoffs start and the "big boys" from nashvegas travel to memphis, or vice versa. they played smart, another must. (i believe more than several of the penalties called, and not called, were what i would refer to as "b.s.") the offense actually sustained drives, a must, which allowed the defense to stay off the field. on a side note, i love seeing Gilbert Johnson run over people. anyway, big plays are great and fun to watch, but when you line up against the BAs and MBAs that like to grind it out with their big OL, the offense has to do something to give the D a break.

all in all, i thought it was a good game for the Brothers.