Playoff Possibilities

MineyHaole

Region 1 can really take a tumble in these last 2 weeks. There are many scenarios that could play out, I will not list them until this week's games are played. But mathmatically 5 of the 7 region teams can make the playoffs, and all of them except Carter can miss the playoffs if games go certain ways. It is really quite exciting to be a fan. Region 2 is a little more cut and dried, but there are some crazies that can happen. Kingston is 4th right now, but they have a tough road to hoe, playing both Catholic and AE. Anderson County looks to be more in line to make the 4th playoff spot with games against Scott and Stone. Here is the way I see the region shaking out, but I would love nothing more than to see some big upset games and blow all of this sky high!

Region 1

Carter

Seymour

Rutledge

Gibbs

Region 2

Catholic

AE

Fulton

Anderson County

This sets up some pretty interesting playoff games. Carter and AC is a really interesting matchup. I also like Rutledge and Fulton. Could be fun watching games this November!

Rutledge can't be knocked out for sure I know...maybe Seymour is more vulnerable if they lose out and Claiborne wins out. One of those would be to Claiborne and if they're tied with the same region record they would be on the outside looking in. That would be predicated on Gibbs winning out as well because any type of three-way tie with region records favors Seymour who is guaranteed to finish above .500.

If Claiborne were to win over Seymour and PF and Seymour and Rutledge lost both then there would be a tie for the 3rd spot if Gibbs wins out and Rutledge and Seymour loses both. Gibbs would be 2nd with only two losses with Claiborne, Rutledge and Seymour all having 3 losses. The first tie-breaker knocks out Claiborne because Rutledge and Seymour would have 6 wins each while Claiborne would have only 5. Mathematically there are still 5 teams alive, but the only place that Claiborne can finish in is 4th if they win out and Gibbs loses out.

If all 4 finish 3-3 then it's Seymour 2, Rutledge 3, Gibbs 4 and Claiborne 5...not sure how you came up with the all of them except Carter can miss the playoffs. 3 wins will get you in somewhere and right now Rutledge has the head-to-head over Claiborne and Gibbs with Seymour having the head-to-head over Rutledge.

The scenario I can see playing out at this point with everything going like it is would be Seymour 1, Rutledge 2, Carter 3 and Gibbs 4. Carter struggled with Gibbs recently and only beat Rutledge 13-6 last season at home...and we all saw what Rutledge did to Gibbs recently. Still, it's all Carter's for the taking. They've not lost a region game since coming in back in 2005.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutledge can't be knocked out for sure I know...maybe Seymour is more vulnerable if they lose out and Claiborne wins out. One of those would be to Claiborne and if they're tied with the same region record they would be on the outside looking in. That would be predicated on Gibbs winning out as well because any type of three-way tie with region records favors Seymour who is guaranteed to finish above .500.

If Claiborne were to win over Seymour and PF and Seymour and Rutledge lost both then there would be a tie for the 3rd spot if Gibbs wins out and Rutledge and Seymour loses both. Gibbs would be 2nd with only two losses with Claiborne, Rutledge and Seymour all having 3 losses. The first tie-breaker knocks out Claiborne because Rutledge and Seymour would have 6 wins each while Claiborne would have only 5. Mathematically there are still 5 teams alive, but the only place that Claiborne can finish in is 4th if they win out and Gibbs loses out.

If all 4 finish 3-3 then it's Seymour 2, Rutledge 3, Gibbs 4 and Claiborne 5...not sure how you came up with the all of them except Carter can miss the playoffs. 3 wins will get you in somewhere and right now Rutledge has the head-to-head over Claiborne and Gibbs with Seymour having the head-to-head over Rutledge.

The scenario I can see playing out at this point with everything going like it is would be Seymour 1, Rutledge 2, Carter 3 and Gibbs 4. Carter struggled with Gibbs recently and only beat Rutledge 13-6 last season at home...and we all saw what Rutledge did to Gibbs recently. Still, it's all Carter's for the taking. They've not lost a region game since coming in back in 2005.

Nice. Make sense. ruse?

Excellent reply there KevB. I was never really good at math /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> . I see where I went wrong, I forgot to carry the 1 /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . I think that we are both in agreement that there are 5 teams still alive, and that the final standings can take a dramatic shift from this week to week 10, which in my opinion is a whole lot more fun because the teams are really going to be fighting for their playoff lives. The last scenario that you listed with Seymour and Rutledge 1st and 2nd was the one that I was seeing that could actually happen. Rutledge could actually take 1st if they win out and Seymour loses to either Claiborne or Gibbs. There really are a bunch of other ways this thing could fall out.

Excellent reply there KevB. I was never really good at math /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> . I see where I went wrong, I forgot to carry the 1 /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . I think that we are both in agreement that there are 5 teams still alive, and that the final standings can take a dramatic shift from this week to week 10, which in my opinion is a whole lot more fun because the teams are really going to be fighting for their playoff lives. The last scenario that you listed with Seymour and Rutledge 1st and 2nd was the one that I was seeing that could actually happen. Rutledge could actually take 1st if they win out and Seymour loses to either Claiborne or Gibbs. There really are a bunch of other ways this thing could fall out.

Five teams are still involved mathematically...IRL it's probably a done deal with only the final positions in question.

New life has been breathed into the playoff possibilities for Region 1 after last night. With Pigreon Forge beating Gibbs that sets up a couple of new scenarioes. Gibbs could find themselves out of the playoffs if they lose to Seymour. If Gibbs loses to Seymour and Pigeon Forge beats Claiborne, the Tigers will find themselves in the playoffs. Should be a fun week in the region.

Region 2 should have some questions decided tonight. Fulton and AE are playing for the likely 2nd and 3rd place tonight. Anderson County can take their next step to the playoffs by winning against Scott tonight. Kingston can cause all kinds of issues and move towards the playoffs if they pull off the upset against Catholic.

New life has been breathed into the playoff possibilities for Region 1 after last night. With Pigreon Forge beating Gibbs that sets up a couple of new scenarioes. Gibbs could find themselves out of the playoffs if they lose to Seymour. If Gibbs loses to Seymour and Pigeon Forge beats Claiborne, the Tigers will find themselves in the playoffs. Should be a fun week in the region.

Region 2 should have some questions decided tonight. Fulton and AE are playing for the likely 2nd and 3rd place tonight. Anderson County can take their next step to the playoffs by winning against Scott tonight. Kingston can cause all kinds of issues and move towards the playoffs if they pull off the upset against Catholic.

The safe bet is that Gibbs loses to Seymour. The Corryton bunch is only averaging 8.9 points per game on offense and Seymour has the top scoring defense in the region only allowing 13.2 per game...so even if Gibbs scores a few more, their defense is probably going to get torched.

How about PF? That's something I hadn't been expecting to see. And...just in case the craziness goes on tonight and Union County pulls off an upset at Rutledge then the Patriots are still alive. Claiborne's only mathematical hope (which corrects my earlier post on a new thread) is for Union to win at Rutledge and for them to beat PF next week because Gibbs is probably going to lose to Seymour and Union will thrash Hancock County. Claiborne would get in with the head-to-head after they went through the first set of tie-breakers being most wins.

It's nutty, but there's a lot left to play for amongst the bottom 4 teams...except no one really wants any part of Catholic in the first round.

It's all down to two teams left to fight for the 4th spot now. PF wins and they are in...what a turnaround for them!

Carter and Rutledge are playing for a home game. Seymour is playing Gibbs for a possible title if Rutledge can beat Carter.

It'll be interesting to see what transpires... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree KevB, crazy nuttiness is going on. Rutledge is playing for a home playoff game this week, and I am sure that they want this bad, being the last season of Pioneer football. I can't see Gibbs winning against Seymour. If PF can get their running game rolling I can seriously see them beating Claiborne and taking 4th place. If they do that Coach Hammonds should get Coach of the Year for sure!

Region 2 is pretty well set, barring Kingston upsetting AE and Catholic having another hiccup game this week.