Smyrna vs Riverdale

82cat

wew, that was a GOOD one...thats the type of smyrna/riverdale game that people have expected for years (smyrna has dissapointed all but in the playoffs this past year). wilkes is legit man and i tell you what he has a proud pappa and good family support i had to sit on smyrna side so i was on the same row as them. this really is the first time riverdale fans have seen what the hype is about he hadnt done much the other years.

its hard for mcclain tho cause the size dissadvantage with wilkes but he made up for it on offense rushing for 167 and 2 TD's. boy i will tell ya i am so proud off joseph grimes 2 INT's off sonny the one gave us the game winning drive.

as usual you have to get to some of the calls, why not give verge his TD when he got the ball from sonny? (on the fumble or INT whatever they ruled it) that was lame to me i dont know what ruling they came up with there, and that was big for smyrna cause they held us to 3 (great job beckwith on kick 37 yards).

also we were playing defense and smyrna was going for it on 4th and 15 and joey lee (he was hurt coming into the game also) was in coverage on a guy and tripped over hisself unintentionally then the receiver tripped over him but it wasnt even the intended receiver...that gave them a 1st down that set up a touchdown making it 23-15

verge ended up having an offensive TD later on catching a 19 yard TD pass wide open in endzone. verge, grimes, smith, and lilienthal all were our leaders tonight i believe. lilienthal was out there keepin the oline hyped he was a real vocal leader tonight and i know he played 100%. vanhoose a solid game also he looked kinda fresh in the #4 (usually #21).

WAY to pull it out seniors these the guys that beat you by 2 last year and beat you 13-7 in freshman ball so this was sweet. the only other time riverdale has been down by 9 while we were in high school was against oak ridge so this aint new to us, you responded well and passed the test /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

i think most will be willing to agree the best team won, riverdale drove the ball most all night smyrna kept getting short fields and it turned into the rod wilkes show

http://preps.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section...p;game_id=76861

Officiating was some of the worst I have ever seen. On Verge's 1st TD the call was an inadvertent whistle. The ref blew his whistle while the ball was still in the air. This was a great game. Hat's off to the Bulldogs. Smyrna has a lot of small players but they play really hard. Riverdale almost gave it away with the turnovers. They have got to do a better job of holding on to the ball. Overall a great win and another region championship. We will see this match up again in a few weeks. Keep your eye on the prize Warriors.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the fun in this team is that they follow that exact concept - a team. i said ealier some guys who were leaders on the field i could go on and on but definately have to come back and say deandre miller had a great game (their oline couldnt stop him) as did aaron ebalarosa

smyrna played the game how it supposed to, they took every opportunity we gave them and made us pay...dont forget that we lost this game last year in the 3rd quarter, so being down 2 points then was all to familiar...they even went on to score on top of that, putting us back 9. similar situation but different results. as i said earlier this is only the second time since class of 2008 has been in highschool we have been down 9 (17-0 loss against oak ridge). these guys stepped up and made us all so proud.

the win is more cherished with the adversity we overcame. as a fan of the game i'll take this over 49-0 anyday and dang sure 7-9

Officiating was some of the worst I have ever seen. On Verge's 1st TD the call was an inadvertent whistle. The ref blew his whistle while the ball was still in the air. This was a great game. Hat's off to the Bulldogs. Smyrna has a lot of small players but they play really hard. Riverdale almost gave it away with the turnovers. They have got to do a better job of holding on to the ball. Overall a great win and another region championship. We will see this match up again in a few weeks. Keep your eye on the prize Warriors.

You can bet there will be no over looking Smyrna like last year in the play-offs either! Our D-fense must of played lights out in the first half. Some of the officiating has been really bad the past couple of years, even up here in Ohio! I guess thats the way it goes, I am really glad the Warriors came back! Just goes to show everyone the character of this Riverdale TEAM! Go Warriors!

good game

Everyone talks about sonny and rod as they should but the ones I am most proud of is how our massively outsized and playing 2 way defense finally got some stops and came within a yard of getting the ultimate stop on that last 4th down.

the thing I came away with was at halftime It felt like we were behind 40 to zero but I looked up and said its only 23 to seven if we get the second half kick off and score its a game.

riverdaleman - there are idiots in the stands for all teams that is why smyrna needs to upgrade their way out date facilities and making the visitors side larger is just the start. I have been to a lot of stadiums where the fans are mixed on one side and although 99% of the people are fine you can always count on a couple to run their mouth.

You can book it these 2 teams will definetly meet again and hopefull smyrna won't spot em 17 next time.

2 teams that could not be more different as far as schemes its big ten power vs west coast flash and it makes for a a great match up.

I watched the game last night after I got home with a group of folk. It was a really exciting game. We sort of cheated and watched the 2nd half first. hahahha.....you have to give Smyrna props.....they came back and clawed their way back into the game. Their O is potent and quick-striking. Riverdale had the game firmly in hand and almost paid dearly at the end. Sonny can get that pass off with pressure and even on his way to the ground. He is in sync with his receivers and there is TRUST between them. It is obvious. I can't stress how well Robbins has done with Sonny. Take a kid with some skill and made him great. I really think Smyrna's hero was the Martin kid. He brought life back into the game and I think HE was the playmaker last night. Good job on O and D. What I did NOT like was how Wilks was celebrating after the TDS. I am shocked the refs didn't call it. He better get that under control. VERGE for Riverdale was an animal in every sense of the word and there was sooooo much improvement in RHS's O line and Smith from when we played them. ( Glad we had them first game!!) Smith made things happen and it was obvious he is comfortable in tight situations. Some great blocking going on. Let me tell you, the announcers were loving on some Spurlock.

Hated to see someone have to lose this one and definitly will be a great re-match. Congrats to Coach A on another region championship. Amazing to see that streak continuing at RHS. I think I am going to go back and watch this one again. I would have hated to hear what would have been said on here had RHS lost with that awful call on the first TD.......yikes.

RHS you best be on your toes.....remember you beat them in reg season too......all that counts now is the post-season wins over them. They have proven that you can't take them lightly. Good luck to both teams. This is why I love HS football so much!

Watching the tape. You could see the ref was blind. How do u wave incomplete when the balls in the air? Also how can you call an pass intererence and then when he scrambles past the line of scrimmage and throws it that shouldnt have happened either. I saw many dirty moves on smyrnas part to.

i saw a dirty move in this game also. Every person at this game watched sonny scramble around, run towards riverdales sideline and jog out of bounds. One of riverdale's players, who was not even in the game at the time, steps up and hits sonny andlays him out. no flag from the official. No attempt by the kid to get out of the way on the sideline, so you all are right, those officals missed a couple of calls.

i saw a dirty move in this game also. Every person at this game watched sonny scramble around, run towards riverdales sideline and jog out of bounds. One of riverdale's players, who was not even in the game at the time, steps up and hits sonny andlays him out. no flag from the official. No attempt by the kid to get out of the way on the sideline, so you all are right, those officals missed a couple of calls.

that is incorrect

bubba 71 that looked like what happened but I watched the css video and #2 hit him out of bounds but----- he was a defender on the field it only looked like that because #2 went around a player on the sideline to make the hit. #2 was in the game on defense.

there is no question that was a missed call just like the inadvertent whistle was a missed call also.

sonny bounced up and I believe completed his next 6 throws

the odd thing? I have never seen a game without a holding call on either team